Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hi @JerryP the link doesn’t seem to work for me?

1 Like

yep @JerryP , the link doesn’t work !

Try again @Mark_UK and @terb.
@Krescht did it work for you?

@JerryP, no, I just removed part of the URL. That led me to your profile and to the video :grin:

What part did you remove to get it to work?

I think I got it now. Try again @terb and @Mark_UK.

2 Likes

@JerryP that great.
Jamie

4 Likes

Failure is fantastic. They did an amazing cover of Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence” that’s one of my all-time favorite covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obg2rHYpiwA

(it kicks in Failure-style at 1:07)

That whole tribute cover disc it is from is amazing. It also has Rammstein covering Stripped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10JDA8SvwX8

And Meat Beat Manifesto covering Everything Counts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yA3p771z8

So good.

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP that works for me now. Very good! Slides were a good idea too. Cheers

6 Likes

Nice work @JerryP,
Solid rhythm throughout the song.
Cheers Brian :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks @Lanny,
Appreciate the positive feedback.:sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

hey @JerryP , it works now :grin:

and I’m just back from a clandestine concert (which was a pretty incredible experience) so I can now comment your cover :v:

first of all it’s great that you made a cover ! I believe it’s your first one, so, congratulations ! another step you passed in your bass journey :grin: that’s great

I like the idea of the slideshow which is some kind of intermediate version between a video cover (not so easy to make, especially for a first production) and a pure audio cover (still very cool but a bit less fun because there is nothing to watch). I believe it’s only the second “slideshow cover” on this thread, if I remember right @Lanny did one (very cool too) but in a very different way, so I consider this one as a little innovation. well, I like the idea. also it shows that the possibilities are pretty wide and free considering the covers and the different formats. :+1:

about the cover itself, it’s very cool and well played but in my opinion the fact that you wanted to do a second version (in video which is really cool) is a great opportunity to try something different about the mix. I find that the current version is a bit hard to listen to, at least with studio monitors like my KRK VXT8 : there is really too much bass frequencies, it’s almost painful if you want to listen carefully at a decent volume. it is a problem, but it’s something interesting, in fact, because there are a few different ways to deal with this kind of issue :

1. lower the bass track in the mix
  2. lower the bass setting on your bass sound ; and more generally, work on your bass tone itself so that it sounds less bassy
  3. … and if you really want to do the things right, work your bass tone FOR a particular song (that’s what I do) so the bass tone is somewhat “pre-mixed” to work well into a particular mix
  4. keep your current bass track but add a high-pass filter (HP shelf filter centered at about 100 Hz, for a starting point) ; I highly recommand everyone to try this approach because it’s some kind of advanced studio approach
  5. working with the #3 base bass tone + #4 approach for the mix is the right thing to do

so here my constructive criticism would be to try a bit of those different approach, because you have a great material to work with, and I’m pretty sure you can archieve a way better result with a little bit more refined mix / studio work.

:v::grin:

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone who commented.
@terb , I’ll mix the next recording differently as you suggest. I over emphasized the bass track so that my family could hear it was me playing. I have another recording that has a lower bass track, maybe I’ll work on that for my next submission. As far as the bass tone you mention, I think I understand what you mean and I’ll work on that as well. A thought occurred to me after I read that; maybe you should submit that “bass tone” instruction as a lesson of the next B2B course.
Thanks again to everyone for watching the video.

5 Likes

@terb what a great post such helpful information
Jamie

4 Likes

really happy if it can help :grin:

4 Likes

@terb I would have rather have an country overload. Not really my kind of genre but good work as usual :+1:

@TNKA36
Solid performance! Great Job!

@JerryP
Great Work! You already got feedback for the mix but don’t sweat it - you’ll find a recording setup/mix that works after a time. It’s a great first cover! Nice foundation for the music.

5 Likes

Thanks @juli0r!

4 Likes

Nice job @JerryP :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for helping @Mark_UK
Out with the info.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Please explain and describe this! I’m so curious what any sort of concert is looking like these days!
Maybe a new thread??

7 Likes