Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I will do my best, but you are on a mission with all the covers you crank out. I can barely get a couple bass fragments posted Since getting the Imac. I have lots to learn still to get a whole cover to the audio, plus getting video going.
And I gotta move at least once by the 2nd. Might have to move a 2nd time by the 15th.
I don’t have much to move the first time, but It will take up some of my time.

Yes, I want to, but not sure exactly when.
I WILL import the song to GB tonight, and get started learning how to get the production going, and learn the song. I will get back with an estimated completion date after I look it all over tonight.

3 Likes

Hey BassBuzzers!,
Back in the days when I had hair, I was fond of instrumental groups (still am). This next cover is from an instrumental group and a little unorthodox as it is the theme to a popular TV show back in the day. I did this for a special friend of mine as well.
Comments and criticism most welcome.

14 Likes

“Book ‘em Danno!”… Great cover @JerryP! Well played and recorded! Really enjoy your relaxed style of play… May have heard a timing slip (but could just be me) during a fret change at around 1:29 or so, - those short time count with long up or down the neck fret movements can certainly be a challenge - but other than that, most EXCELLENT! Loved how you added the photo cover at the end before your ending credits too - certainly a touch of class! Thanks for bringing back some memories! Looking forward to your next one…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

Thanks a lot @Lanny. I really appreciate your comments and yeah, it’s not perfect but it didn’t sound too bad and hell, I’m no professional. Glad you liked the album cover shot. I took the backing track from the album and if listen carefully in the beginning, you’ll hear the stylus drop on the record when I was digitizing the song.

On to the next cover… :smiley:

7 Likes

That certainly did bring back memories. I loved that show!
I wish I looked half as chilled as you do when I’m playing @JerryP
Great cover once again :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks @Mac! I may look chilled but my hands are clammy especially when that “red light” is on during recording.
Thanks again.

4 Likes

Awesome, great job.
I can see the wave rolling across the screen.
Here is a bit of trivia for you From Surfing magazine back in the 80"s
Many many many people thought that wave was from a well known surf spot on the south shore near Waikiki, called Ala Moana.
It does look just like the rolling open tube from Ala Moana, but they did trick photography.
This was from another well known surf spot on the North shore, Sunset Beach.
But, Sunset breaks the opposite way, it is a RIGHT hand break, Ala Moana is a LEFT hand break.
The trick was, they turned the film around, so it is mirror image of Sunset Beach.
Anyway, something I always remembered after reading it in a surfing magazine back when I was probably 14 years old. I was astonished, I would have bet my life it was Ala Moana

5 Likes

I love the idea :star_struck: that was fun, I enjoyed watching and listening to this cover very much

also that’s well played, I like your mostly-just-a-little-bit-late timing, I don’t know if you play this way on purpose or if it is your natural feeling and groove but I like it.

also I like your bass tone, to me it sounds like a very good compromise : not too “vintage”, not too modern / not too thin, not too deep / not too cold, not too dark / not too nervous, not too compressed … in my opinion, this is a great base/standard bass tone, which should work in many situations. also it sounds like the gain is set pretty high, while keeping just enough headroom to keep a perfectly clean like (no saturation at all).

congrats @JerryP , I like what you do.

6 Likes

Thank you @T_dub. I’ve spent a lot of time in Hawaii over the past 20 years, in fact, I started the B2B course while I was working a 6 month project at Pearl Harbor. I know both those places you mentioned, I have even been to the surfing championships at Sunset Beach. TV does not do justice to viewing a 45 foot wave in person.
Thanks again!

4 Likes

Thank you Laurent! Your comments mean a lot. Tell me though, what do you mean by

Do you think it’s latency in my setup? How much is a-little-bit-late?
The bass tone is my Rumble LT25 set for the factory pre-set “Fat Old Bassman” with no additional components, all controls set to middle.
I read all the posts regarding pedals and you guys just lose me in all that stuff. I don’t think I’m ready for that yet.
Anyway thanks again for your kind words.

4 Likes

it’s not latency, it’s your “touch”, just the way you play. if you listen to my covers you will ear that I play a-bit-late too (maybe I do this more in conscience but anyway). that’s not bad at all ! I’m not talking about a problem, just this little dark flavor in the playing style. that’s something I really like.

well, it sounds good to me with your bass and your playing :grin: and if you selected this preset, I guess it sounds good to you too.

it’s not mandatory at all, @JerryP.

my advice : don’t bother with that if you don’t feel the need. it’s the biggest rabbit hole you could imagine, you will eventually fall in one day, but no rush :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Bucket list. Course, I need to get back into surfing shape before I go to Hawaii. My goal is by next summer, I just need the COVID to be over, so I can go to the gym and use the machines I NEED to get my legs back to working.

I was on track for this summer, but Covid hit, and my progress was lost, I was HIT hard by Covid and never got the sickness.

4 Likes

Great job @JerryP,
I’m not familiar with the tv show :thinking:, your playing and recording is really improving :+1:
All the timing changes etc and getting around the neck show you more comfortable and relaxed when you playing, I really enjoyed watching, can’t wait for the next cover.:+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

No Hawaii 5-0 down under Brian?

3 Likes

Thanks Brian! I have to work more on the video production. There is only so much time in the day and I don’t want to take away from practice time to fool with the video. I’ve been using OBS software for recording so I haven’t done the syncing of audio and video using Garage Band. I want to try that next time.
Thanks again!

5 Likes

Here’s a quick and dirty bass cover of REM’s ‘The One I Love’. Hope it stays up and hope you like it:

https://youtu.be/h-GejJOEBY0

11 Likes

that’s nice @sfadams , not the easiest bass line and you seem to really enjoy playing this song, I like this :grin:

also what’s cool is that you could use this song to improve your timing, because there are a lot of accents everywhere

6 Likes

Good job @sfadams. Enjoyed it.

4 Likes

Great cover @sfadams,
Nice tone from the Warwick, liked your vocals while playing, not easy to play and sing and stay in time.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes