Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great job for your first cover @cliffveazey! Very well done!

4 Likes

Excellent! I hadn’t realised Clutch had done this. Used to be in a covers band (on drums) and, thanks to our lead singer, we played a load of Clutch stuff (Burning Beard, Subtle Hustle, Hoodoo Operator). This bought back memories.

5 Likes

A great first cover @cliffveazey! For only 2 months of playing, you’re really doing well. The one thing I would mention (and maybe it’s just me) is that I was hearing one string that may be setting a bit too low on the bridge saddle. I was hearing a persistent ring from that one string every time it was plucked. As for trying to break yourself from looking at your fretting hand, that will eventually come with time, but you might try playing in front of a mirror for a bit. After awhile you will quit focusing on your fretting hand and start looking at other things that an audience may happen to notice - this is also why recording yourself is a good exercise because you will always pick out things in both your playing and your style that you may not have noticed otherwise. Again, great first cover! Looking forward to the next one!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

so, today August 19th is a very special day : it’s the first anniversary of the Cover Thread !

First of all I would like to thank every bass player who posted a cover, again this is not about the playing or production level, it’s all about playing bass in the cover fashion, have fun and make progress together, while playing the songs we like.

We have a total of 94 covers recorded this first year (including a lot in video) and posted on this thread, it’s really amazing ! When I launched the thread, I never imagined we would see such a huge collective effort.

Also I want to thank eveybody who did not post a cover (yet :wink: ) but listened to ours and commented, that’s pretty cool.

Every comment has always been polite, friendly yet honnest and with a lot of valuable advices to help everyone to get better. that was precisely the point. and that’s amazing, really.

thank you all and let’s see what we can do for the second year !

:v::kissing_heart:

10 Likes

Thanks @terb for setting this thread up that has provided a great opportunity for me personally to step outside my comfort zone and post covers, a big thanks from me to @Lanny for assisting me to develop my recording and mixing skills to level I’m proud of and can only improve on into the future.
And I agree 100% that feedback given and received has always been in a positive way to help everyone to improve their bass playing and to show all members on the forum how they are progressing during their bass journey.
There are a lot of folks who will probably never play in a band or on stage(me included) so that’s why this thread is so important to everyone as it shows the joy that we all share, our love of music and our own passion to express ourselves with like minded individuals.
It’s all about the fun and enjoyment our instruments bring and the opportunity to share our passion​:sunglasses::+1:
A big shout out must also go to @JoshFossgreen for setting up a great course that is delivered in a way that encourages and motivates students to be the best they can be while providing a solid BASS😁 for future endeavours.
Cheers Brian

8 Likes

I’d like to reiterate everything that Brian said because I feel the same way. The cover postings are a great tool for all us newbies to learn and show our accomplishments. Thank you @terb, @Lanny and @JoshFossgreen.

8 Likes

Hey Bass Buzzers, I thought it appropriate that I should upload my latest Cover considering it is the Anniversary of this thread.
I have done another Concrete Blonde Track, I’m trying to get them some main stream exposure.
The bass line has some great 5th’s and Octaves within it.
Again all feedback is encouraged as it’s an opportunity to develop our skills.
Please enjoy, Keep on Rocking, Cheers Brian
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/08/20/tonight/

8 Likes

Hey Brian,
Another great cover! It looks like you’re having a lot of fun and enjoying yourself whenever you’re playing.
Great job!

2 Likes

So, who’s gonna cover “Birthday” by The Beatles? Dead easy McCartney 12-bar romp :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP,
It’s a different type of song, Concrete Blonde changed their style on this album.
Thanks for the positive feedback :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I hope to have a new cover before the week is out.

5 Likes

Sure has been a lot of fun Laurent! When you first started this thread, many of us were a bit skeptical (myself included), but it didn’t take long before the thread really started taking off - around about the time we all completed the B2B course. Really appreciate the effort you put into this thread - actually, it’s probably the one main thread that I consistently post to here on the forum…

7 Likes

Another great cover @TNKA36 Brian… Certainly different than many of the other CB songs you’ve covered in the past… Much more finger exercise with string crossings in this song which is a good exercise for learning and working on new techniques… KUDOS!

As for comments, I think the main one I would have would be that you may have either removed too much of the original bass frequencies resulting in the removal of a bit of the mid’s that the mix seems to be shy on or, maybe you lowered the The volume on original song track a bit too much… Funny coming from someone like me who typically mixes a bit “Bass Heavy” during the final mix, but for this song I believe it could have used a bit more low mids in order to have the vocals step out a bit more with your bass line riffs… (At least while listening using my headset)… Just my opinion though. Otherwise another GREAT “Stewie Little” performance!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Looking forward to it @JerryP Jerry!

6 Likes

Hi @Lanny,
Thanks for the positive feedback on the cover.
I was experimenting with the bass levels during recording , volume levels while making the master track and the track volume levels In iMovie during the final mix.
I am working on another couple of tracks at the moment and will do a bit more experimental work on them during the process👍, it’s all a work in progress, a lot has to do with the original recording as well👍
That’s what makes this process a great experience in that you get to discover new things and change things to see what you can produce as the finished product.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @TNKA36
I see what you mean about the string crossing in this one :scream:

4 Likes

Thanks for the positive feedback Geezer @Mac,
Yep the fingers get a nice workout👍
The one I’m working on now gives them a better workout😤
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

No worries @TNKA36.
I’ll give you a bell later on :+1:

3 Likes

Great job.
Is the one you are working on, the one you sent me?
I have yet to put the song in GB.
I will try to do it when I get home tonight.

2 Likes

No that’s your baby now Toby @T_dub, unless you want me to have a crack at it as well?
Let me know either way👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes