Post your covers! (2023)

Those fills are so cool! Great job on a legendary tune @Ed

2 Likes

You’re definitely ready for that band @Paul_9207, nicely done! I like the bassline here, it manages to drive the song and stay interesting throughout, not always an easy balance.

Quite a contrast. The most “beginnery” thing about your first song is the lack of muting. Consistent practice really pays off :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@terb
I believe these are original compositions and should be deleted and moved to the below thread @John_Layne

2 Likes

dang @robbp that was funky with a captial FUNKY!!
loved every second of it.
hooray P bass!

3 Likes

well done but curious as to how much you sped up and what speed you recorded and how you managed this whole thing.

1 Like

Here is my cover of “Distant Early Warning” from my favorite Rush album, Grace Under Pressure. I’ve been working on this song since before Christmas, so pretty happy to get it in a recordable state. It’s quite a plucking and string crossing workout, probably the most challenging song I’ve covered. I had to simplify some things because, well it’s Geddy :slight_smile: Thanks for listening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPYHLsOs7o

16 Likes

Wow! Fantastic.

Can you share the settings you used for that Geddy tone you nailed perfectly?

That’s some great playing @dlamson13 !!!
Now we all know where you’ve been hiding.
Good gravy that was awesomeness!!!

:love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:

PS - damn guitarists who pick up bass.

3 Likes

Nice ! I really enjoyed this catchy bassline and the way you played it.

2 Likes

Phew, that rocks ^^ Quite speedy I might add. Typically the kind of bass line that reminds you that you need to breath. Sometime ^^'.
Nice cover !

2 Likes

@Lieutax : I could’t make out the music very well but since I prefer to hear the bass anyway, that works for me. Love your sound. And your bass. A lot.

@Growl : Same as the last time I remember a cover from you (Dua Lipa I think), I’m fond of this tone you have. It shows again very well in this nice daft punk cover.

@Vince : hmm… the kind of bass line that “looks” not too difficult on paper (or, well … tab) but needs quite some work in consistency, accuracy and rhythm. Nice work ^^

@Ed : Took a trip down memory lane here. Thank you for this, I had totally forgot the existence of this number. Good right hand speed and rhythm. Nice !

@robbp : Funk ! Awesome. Excellent. +1 for the funk vibes ! Superb cover, superb tone and sound. Love everything about this cover. But I’m just a little (really, juuuuuuust a little) biased on funk.

… argh, I need to stop there for now, you are all doing covers faster that I can write about it.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot John_E! Haha yeah that kept me busy a while, it was fun to learn but definitely choosing something less insane next time.

Glad you liked it! I messed with it a while, I’ll do my best to capture:
Fernandes J-Bass (80s or 90s era?): Bridge 100%, Neck 30%, Tone 100% =>
Behringer BDI: with drive and presence boosted like below =>

Behringer UM2 Interface =>
Reaper: EQ (boosted upper mids ~900 Hz) and Compression.

4 Likes

Thank you! @JerryP @John_Layne @dlamson13 @Ed @mediaklan and @John_E!

2 Likes

I’ve watched that movie at least twice now and I’ve never noticed that the song playing in the background was Jungle Boogie :laughing:

4 Likes

Nope!

I use Amplitube for all my covers, for Jungle Boogie I’ve used a:

• Fender Bassman 300 as a cabinet;
  • Fender Bass 810 Pro as an amp
  • Fender Compress set to “low” as a compressor.

This is one of their presets called “Bassman Round 2”.

2 Likes

Really cool cover. Your hands (especially the fretting hand) look very relaxed. You look quite experienced, not someone that is learning how to play bass at all.

How long have you been playing bass, if you don’t mind me asking?

2 Likes

@dlamson13 haha Dude, that was nuts. I feel sorry for your kids.

Q. Where’s daddy? A. He’s in the bunker every single night getting this thing down.

Absolutely loved loved loved this. :canada:

3 Likes

Thanks @robbp! I’ve been playing bass about 1 1/2 years BUTTT (3 t’s is a big but) I’ve played guitar for 30 years. Truth be told only the first 5 years were serious. I was teenager then and would literally play all day sometimes. I’m sure that teenage brain plasticity has helped me a lot. After that period, when life got in the way, my guitars mostly collected dust. I occasionally noodled around with the same old LZ riffs or strum some cowboy chords around the campfire but nothing consistent. Taking up bass has lit that fire in me again and I love it!

4 Likes

Haha the weather is get nicer here now, maybe I should take my daughter fishing or something to get away from things a little. Thanks so much @Barney, the official :canada: approval has to be the highest honor you can get for a Rush cover!

1 Like

Dang dude! That was awesome! Those triplets were pretty sweet too, or whatever they are.

2 Likes

I appreciate that immensely :melting_face: with my current setup it’s a little difficult to make the music super duper clear but I’m very grateful for you words. My great thanks

1 Like