Post your covers! (2023)

@Glenn @Reo @booker_t :
if you don’t mind, could you please test these videos (ain’t no sunshine cover with different audio codecs ^^´) below to see if any one of them works for you (audio wise, I mean) ?

[expired links]

1 Like

Links 1 and 4 worked after a short bit of loading. The others had video only. There are glitches when rewinding or fast forwarding 1 &4 (especially 4). Good job, man. If you were trying to pull off, “the ain’t nothin’ to it face and attitude” it worked.

1 Like

I had the same results as booker t. Really good job! Nice tone also!

2 Likes

Thank you @booker_t @Glenn. Your feedback helped a lot ! I know what to do now and I will update my future covers accordingly.

2 Likes

Dang @Barney That’s little guy has some big sound! Always fun to break the mold and try new combinations. Really enjoyed that one.

Absolutely love that tune @mediaklan - such a groove! Thanks for sharing man

I Haven’t listened to much AFI in the past, so I was not familiar with this one. With that said, it’s a great uptempo song and I got to moving with a quickness after hitting play. I also really love the look of that Squier bass! Keep on rocking dude! @Paul_9207

Side note: love to see the use of a personal server and BB chatters helping debug codec issues. You all are the good ones!

Well, I’ve got a Def Leppard cover I need to get posted. Time to getting working on that!

3 Likes

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Okay, this one isn’t really a hard song but the recording process was filled with challenges. I won’t detail them all right now as I’m wondering if any eagle-eared listeners can pick it out.

Anyways, I did this in one take as my previous covers involved hours of trying to achieve perfection and coming up just short each time. Moise’s threw me a curve ball that I had to work around as well.

This was recorded using the Squier 40th Anniversary P Bass in Dakota Red with flatwound (40-100) strings installed. Bass into Cali76 Compressor into Fender Rumble 40 with XLR out into GB. Volume and Tone at 100%.

https://youtu.be/4qiWoJ5QDvQ

Hope you enjoy!

13 Likes

Nice! This is the Hysteria that I can play, not that other one!

Every so often Moises does not get along with a tune.
For when that happens I try the Transcribe+ app.
The opposite is what led me to Moises, lol.

Overall I really liked the tone and you fit right in the mix well, groove was on too.
When the bass was more prominent in the track, I thought it might be a bit too trebly, but meh, who cares…was great all the rest of the time, so blame it on studio magic.

A side observations - move those basses away from that sunlight, unless of course you are going for an uneven faded/discolored look on them.

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E !! It’s such a fun song to play! I almost ended to purchasing the subscription to Moises to fix the problem I encountered but I think my stitch-up job worked out pretty well.

Oh, and thanks for the note about the instrument stand! I shall see if I can find a better spot. :smiley:

2 Likes

Same here the aac and ac3 worked
Good job on the cover

2 Likes

What a nice song. From the name alone, I was expecting something … angry (could be related to the mixed feelings I have about the other hysteria).
Either way, very nice cover, with very good accuracy here. You were fully part of my listening experience ^^.
Side note : I’m pretty sure someone already told you but … pizzazz is there ^^.
Love the small trademark banner !

2 Likes

Nice job @cheeze_pizza ! Enjoyed it a lot!
:+1:

2 Likes

Basses :white_check_mark:
Guitars :white_check_mark:
Keys :white_check_mark:
Drums :white_check_mark:
Rug :x:

Nice work; I’m a Def Leppard fan so this was an easy sell. Only one technical thing I hear. At around 1:47 when you pick the string after a rest, the volume spikes and then dives down. I presume this relates to the settings you’re using in the compressor? Maybe play about with the attack / release dials to smooth out that volume spike? Once you start chugging for the rest of the song the issue goes away.

Anyhoo I enjoyed it.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry I’ve not kept up with the covers people. I will try harder and find the stupid widgety thing you need to use headphones on the iPhone.
Bit like the dog ate my homework excuse :joy:

3 Likes

Nice job @cheeze_pizza! Im pretty partial to this version of Hysteria myself.

Did it cut you off after 5 min? Nice save :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this was a dynamics issue. I started the song off kinda aggressive on the picking and settled down soon after. I’m still kinda new to mixing so I hope to improve there.

Thanks @mediaklan ! The banner is a bit of an artifact from streaming. It gives a space for all the goal status bars and other statistics to be shown on screen while live.

Thanks @JerryP :smiley:

:grimacing:

Yeah I think so. I went in aggressively after the rest and perhaps the compressor did take over a bit there. Thanks for the info on the attack/release. I think I had the dial at 12 'o clock but can’t remember now and didn’t take a picture.

Note to self: Take pictures of all the dials when I do a recording… :thinking:

Bing Bing Bing! Yep, I didn’t know about the 5 minute limitation until after I was trying to mix my audio and video tracks.

Let me pull back the curtain a bit more…

I sat down and recorded the audio only in one take. I made a couple flubs but nothing too crazy so I decided to go with it. I then sat down to run the audio through Moises. I didn’t realize that the audio had been cut off at the 5 minute mark until I was done syncing the 2 audio tracks…

Time to get creative! Went back to the original track and cut out the last minute or so and brought that into Garageband and did my best to splice it up. If you listen closely you can hear where the break occurred.

Then I went to record the video track. I didn’t even record the audio output here. I just played the bass along to the track and recorded the video. Finally, I brought the pieces into iMovie and created the final mix.

So even though this cover is particularly cobbled together, I must say I’m quite happy with it. I’m not sure I’ll use this approach for all my covers but it sure beats sitting down for 6 hours and creating dozens of bad takes in hopes of that one perfect recorded live take.

Phew, I think that’s enough for now. Thanks to all who checked the cover out!

2 Likes

That’s a compressor setting issue then.
I actually use two and let each do a bit of the load and shoot for around -5 or -6db on the meters in total on the loudest passages. I loop a loud section while setting.

2 Likes

Since I have a Cali76, which does not have a meter, I wonder how to translate this for my pedal?

I do my compression within the Stomp. But is very basic terms the attack and release knobs determine how quickly the compressor gets hold of the note after you’ve played it and compresses it and the release is how quickly it lets it return to it’s uncompressed volume. You’re now at the end of my knowledge on this.

Here’s a screen shot of how it works with Helix if that helps?

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.22.47 AM

2 Likes

Ah… sorry thought it was daw based.
Pedal based compressors require a very good ear and a lot of experience to dial in, unless there is a visible light array to go by. Your Cali only has the glowing orb as a pseudo meter in the middle which is a bit harder to dial in just so. Not too bright, not too dim. I have the older Cali pedal with the multi segment led array as a meter.

For recording, plug-in compressors are the way to go. Pedals are for live IMO.

2 Likes

Hahahaha. Each compressor works a bit (or a lotta bit) differently so take with some salt grains @cheeze_pizza

What I’d do is go online and look up some hood or sample settings for the OE Cali and record quick bits until you like what you hear.

Just note. Each bass and playing style will want different settings. Welcome to the compressor rabbit hole.

2 Likes