Post your covers! (2023)

Thanks Jerry

1 Like

This one is from a band you guys probably haven’t heard of, an instrumental group from Texas called Explosions In The Sky. This track was always my favorite of theirs.

This song really means a lot to me, it was one I would always go back to when I was feeling down. That guitar riff…so infectious. This one is one giant chug and has a run time just over 10 minutes but I promise every minute is worth it.

No video for this cover, I did this song in two parts and messed with my EQ for the second half for a little brighter sound. The bass on the original is pretty low and I did my best not to overpower the track. The bass line pretty much ends at the 6 minute mark, the rest of the notes are barely even part of the mix but I tabbed them anyway. Hope you guys enjoy.

Explosions In The Sky - Let Me Back In
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/mwQ8It2qg7wDg8CgcblwYXGjdB2KwNw0

Tabs

4 Likes

Actually I know them :grin:

3 Likes

Absolutely heard of them, love post-rock.

Great playing on the cover, nicely fit in with the track itself.

3 Likes

Very nicely done @Ant! I’ve heard of them too. I liked to listen to their first album when I was studying math. Something about it really helped me focus, it was nice to hear this again.

3 Likes

Here is my version of Paul Young’s “Every Time You Go Away”. It’s my first non “50 song” cover in a few months and proof I’ve fallen deeper down the rabbit-hole that is fretless bass. It was a fun stretch stylistically for me. I’m doing my best to capture some of that @Al1885 smoothness here :slight_smile: I had to dumb down Pino’s lines some to play this. I hope you enjoy and thanks for listening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWmGIn5T68

12 Likes

That was awesome dlamson! Very smooth and hardly dumbed down. Great job!

2 Likes

I love digging into another style like this.
For me it’s been the old pick for quite a while and I am almost having a hard time going back to finger plucking, so I totally get the obsession into the fretless (something I have to do too).

As soon as I saw the title I could ‘feel’ the wah, and you did a great job with capturing it.
When I was doing “True Colors” I tought it was actually done with fretless and might go back one day and redo it with mine. Nowhere near as hard as this tune.

Fantastic as usual @dlamson13

4 Likes

That’s fantastic @dlamson13. You got it man! I love that song. I’m actually working on his other famous Fretless tune “wherever I lay my hat”. I can feel the pain. You have capture the essence of Pino on that one and the most difficult bit you nailed it with perfect intonation.

I can see the end was giving you a bit of “where to go” moment, lol. This is a very difficult tune to play live, the bass part is one thing but the most difficult is the drums tone. It doesn’t sound right most of the time, every time we play this tune, it has to be at the beginning of the set after break because my drummer needed about 5 minutes to get into the right preset with his hybrid kit and most of the time the reverb on the snare still get sucked away by the ambient. The last few times he begged us to play the daryl Hall’s live version instead because it’s a much better drum part.

For a mere mortal to properly play Pino’s tune you need 6 fingers on your right hand with 2 middle fingers or an extra long pinky or a boneless palm, pick one lol.

3 Likes

That video changed the way I made my covers forever. It was well executed and the playing was just awesome. Perfect anthem for the gorgeous collection of Aerodyne basses.

It was truly an inspiration to all covers.

https://youtu.be/NevgFzM1UyU

9 Likes

That’s just an awesome cover @Justin3. Like butter!

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

1 Like

Thanks @Al1885! The quality time has helped with intonation for sure, it’s all about those little micro adjustments when you’re off. I just had a feeling you probably played this song :slight_smile: That’s really interesting about the drums, I hadn’t given it thought before.

Haha, yes For sure! This was improvised, and I liken it to lighting a match that gets blown out too soon, just never went anywhere.

2 Likes

I’m glad I could bring the wah, thanks John! Playing with a pick has a great sound. I need to work on that more too. The other day my Dad (also a guitar player) was asking if I would ever get back to guitar. Right now there is so much I want to do on bass in the time I have to practice – Get better a fretless, get better at slap, learn the solo to “La Villa Strangiato”, etc. I won’t be bored with this lovely instrument any time soon.

3 Likes

Oh man, I haven’t heard that song in forever. That’s getting added to the playlist.

That was a real joy to listen to. Top work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice job! very smooth indeed. You are making me want to get a fretless.

2 Likes

I probably should have spent at least another week practicing this song before trying to record it, but I had some time today so here we are. This is another one I’ve learned by ear. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but when I started posting covers I didn’t think I would ever learn songs by ear. It’s still not easy, but I’m glad I can do it. This is another AFI song from their newest album Bodies.

AFI - Looking Tragic

11 Likes

Here’s a song to learn in a few hours. Great tabs on Songsterr, just figure out a couple of rhythms and slam away. Only tough part of this song is keeping the pace throughout without screwing up the rhythm…The whole song is played on the E string, down tuned to C#. One of my favorite Deftones tracks. This one won’t be for everyone :rofl:

Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)

FAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrt4dCtnQPE

9 Likes

You’ve got such killer tone! are you recording your amp? Wish I could figure out how to get my sound like that! I’m not familiar with the band but I immediately get The Strokes vibes. Really enjoyed this one!

@dlamson13 awesome work, can’t say I enjoyed the song but you played it well. digging the fretless!

3 Likes

Nice job @Ant I remember this song from my days as an alternative radio DJ.

3 Likes