Post your covers! (2023)

I don’t know any of those words or that tune but your tone is off the hook great and playing is spot on @Ek_Bass !

Does “Rakkautta ja piikkilankaa” loosely translate to “Tiny Bubbles”? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Another great one @g13dip - well done.

2 Likes

Nice to see you again @Growl
Great playing as usual.
Tone a bit muddy for me but overall great.

2 Likes

Agree with @Barney that this sould be in the practice fragments thread, but, that said…

I see a ton of improvement from your last posting @Huth_S0lo
Well done.
As far as timing goes, the general rule is - never ever ever ever play without a drumbeat/metronome/something as a bass player practicing.
I will say you are pretty darn on point for most of this but that beat behind you will keep you honest and keep you improving. We almost always think we have better tempos in our heads than we actually do.

keep it up man, this sounded great!
Some difficult riffs in there.

2 Likes

Thanks mate!
Eh its Squier electronics.

If tone is up highs are too harsh, if it’s rolled down it’s muddy.
That’s why this is happening New 70s Jazz Bass Project

2 Likes

I have a long list of songs to cover and this was not one of them, but I just can’t get it out of my head, nor do I want to. Love this stuff. Worked on it over the 4th, and there were some posts going around about the meaning of it all and whether those of us in the US are proud of our country or not. I’ll say this – if we look to our politicians to be a source of pride we’ll only be disappointed, but I’m proud to live in a place where music like this was born. I hope you enjoy my cover of “I’ll Take You There” by The Staple Singers. It’s the same fine groove over and over, but it actually features a bass solo to break things up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiVQRmzsWLs

11 Likes

Great job and tone on this one! Enjoyed it with my morning coffee. :coffee:

1 Like

Thanks Jerry! Honored to be part of your balanced breakfast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something from the 21st century… Let me know what you think about the tone/mix. I had a hard time trying to get something I liked.

Hamer Slammer Series w/Dimarzio DP123BK pups
Neck 100%
Bridge 30%
Scarlett 2i2
Reaper w/CLA-76 compressor, Vahalla Reverb
Tab by Constantine

Thanks for watching.

16 Likes

Sounds good Jerry! Great song!

1 Like

It might have been hard @JerryP but you definitely got to a good tone that sits nicely in the mix :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Darryl and @g13dip !
I tried every bass I have to get something that I thought fit.

2 Likes

My take on half of Siberian Khatru by Yes (simplified to where I can handle it).

Very enjoyable to play.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bc_5nhHmI0A

13 Likes

simplified or not @Jerry_the_Cowboy it was impressive, and it did look like fun too…good one

2 Likes

Nice work on that, Jerry! Awesome!

1 Like

That was excellent Jerry! I could tell how much care you put into the tone, love what you came up with. Plenty of boom where needed but stays out of the way of the other instruments. The reverb fits the vibe and helps the bass mix nicely with the piano.

1 Like

Love the alternate picking and tone here @Jerry_the_Cowboy! Looks like a fun tune to play. I see your bass has “strat” pickup configuration. Which pickup(s) are you using here?

2 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 ! This one did take me longer than most of the last covers I dd.

1 Like

Thanks. Neck & middle pickups. Acinonyx v2 bass heavily compressed through an Antares AVP, with a hint of flange & wah filter via an old Korg Toneworks pedal. Pretty happy with how turned out…next I guess is to get to work on the harmonics that start where I left off.

2 Likes

Sorry gents work has been nuts so finally sitting down with a cuppa and catching up on my favourite thread. I mean my favourite thing is trash talking The Eagles but this is my favourite thread.

If there’s one certain thing on this thread it’s that @growl will pull out a tune I’ve never heard of before, do a great cover and I add it to my job site playlist. :heart: Is that a Kazoo at the 2:08 mark?

@dlamson13 classic choon great work from down in the bunker. You seem to have bonded with that bass; 5 :tangerine: out of 5 :tangerine:

@JerryP yes I love the tone / mix on this. It sounds fantastic on my Sennheiser headphones. :star2:

Hey @Jerry_the_Cowboy I know some Yes but only the stuff from the charts. So this was new to my ears. Man that sounded awesome, top banana.

5 Likes