Post your covers! (2023)

50 Songs Challenge Song #3: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Original Bass removed by Moises.ai

Signal chain info:
Fender MIM Fretless Jazz Bass > Cali 76 Compressor > Fender Rumble 40 > Volt 276 > GarageBand.

Finished with iMovie.

https://youtu.be/QKD6IHbaIqo

9 Likes

Another great job @cheeze_pizza !

2 Likes

You’re sounding great @cheeze_pizza! Enjoyed all your covers this weekend, but this one’s my favorite so far. I just love the tone your getting with the pick on the fretless. It’s such a nice sound, lot of players miss out on this though, because someone told them they “have” to play fretless with their fingers. There are no rules, Excellent job!

3 Likes

Nice work @cheeze_pizza

Fun fact - Gromit and @cheeze_pizza have never been seen in the same room together.

8 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

Thanks so much man! I thought the picked fretless would give me the right kinda “dead” sound for this one!

I knew I wasn’t going to be able to escape a light roasting about those headphones! :joy: I keep them at the office now, my home setup works well sans headphones.

Thanks again for checking my covers out! I have another in the pipeline to drop tomorrow.

1 Like

Going off of the 50 songs list for a moment:

Motown Time! The Supremes - Baby Love

I was able to break out the P bass again for this one. I got my foam mute in place and ready to get my “Jamerson” on!

(I’m not sure if he was the bassist on this one, but I’m sticking with the reference.)

https://youtu.be/_A4yMycEgTw

Original Bass removed by Moises.ai

Signal chain info:
Squier Vintage P Bass > Cali 76 Compressor > Fender Rumble 40 > Volt 276 > GarageBand.

Volume 80% - Tone 0% + Foam mute - light gauge Flats

Vintage Amp Voicing w/ Gain at 11:30
Bass at noon, Low Mid at 3, High Mid and Treble at 2

I slapped a film grain filter on the video since the lighting wasn’t as great in the evening. I might just have to pull out my stream lighting rig for the night recording sessions…

Finished with iMovie. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

that’s a nice bass line, nothing very fancy but it’s groovy and colorful with all the approach notes.

2 Likes

Amazing how you can switch between right hand and left hand playing at will - very versatile :wink:

3 Likes

A bit too boomy in the mix for me, but great groove, etc dude.
Great playing!!
You on da fire!

3 Likes

nice job again @cheeze_pizza

Again I am going with a smidge too boomy in the mix.
Also here, I think if you laid back just a tad it would work better, just a hair.
Overall fantastic though!

2 Likes

Nice work @cheeze_pizza ! I covered this myself a few years ago.

1 Like

I need to review the final mix on various speakers it seems. I did note some boominess mostly around the 100Hz mark. I played with the EQ some, but perhaps a overall volume reduction would have worked.

Thanks again!

Thanks Jerry!

:upside_down_face:

Thanks man! I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Song # 5 from the 50 Song Challenge - AC/DC “Highway to Hell”.

Audio only this time, I look so dang bored playing it, so I’m not going to bother rendering a video and making a Vimeo account (as YouTube will likely remove it). Details in the 50 song challenge thread. Link to the audio file directly: 50 Song Challenge - Song 5 - ACDC - Highway to Hell (Cover).mp3 - Google Drive

Feedback and comments always welcome.

3 Likes

This was a “play and done” video/recording for me as I don’t care for the song and hearing it repeatedly will drive me nuts :crazy_face: .

Quickly learned the song via a couple run-throughs and cobbled together a quick video/recording. Nothing too fancy. First recording with me standing up, for whatever reason, decided to include reaper screen capture in the background - not sure what I think of that :man_shrugging: .

2 covers in one day, guess I got on a roll! (honestly though, both songs I really don’t care for and wanted to get through them quickly).

Anyways, here it is:

9 Likes

that’s a funny way to record a cover video, with Reaper recording. I might do that one day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

lol

1 Like

The fantastic Nahre Sol on why things like the covers thread are so great as a habit

For her it was building an audience; for us it’s building skills. Either way, best thread on the forums. Well except the pizza thread.

6 Likes

good job on the covers @cheeze_pizza and @brik1970

3 Likes

Both of these are solid @brik1970 !!
Well done.

2 Likes

Nice cover. Don’t ever shit talk The King on this thread :slight_smile: The Eagles sure, but Elvis Yeah Nah.

ep

3 Likes