Post your covers! (2023)

Fine fine… bows to the king … and thank you!

2 Likes

Pizza threads are pretty irresistible. Now I’m wondering if it’s due for an update…

2 Likes

Thanks man! :smiley:

1 Like

Speaking of Nahre Sol:

(released three weeks ago)
Funny coincidence :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

Youtuber synchronicity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Started a new job yesterday, so had some time last night and this morning to work on Song #7 of the challenge.

I’m just going to say, in this thread (you can read my comments in the original post), that this was not a pleasant experience for me. At any rate, I’m doing this one as a “one and done” as well, and here’s the result (yes, I did the “Reaper in the background” thing again :grinning: , this time with colors!)

https://youtu.be/C-4iTC8PtTE

2 Likes

One more for today - another “one and done” video (original thread). 1 run through on the tabs to learn it, 1 playing with the song, and one recording… done. Kept reaper in the video again, this time pushed to right corner so I could cover some of the hanging clothes in the background… lol. I kind of like it this way, but which do you all like better? I just can’t spend any more time on this song (sorry to the fans)… moving on (I’m considering taking a stab at the Volbeat version as my next project, but we’ll see).

https://youtu.be/QUSq-XmJDn0

1 Like

So, why are you doing it? Because it’s a “challenge”??

Of course, you can learn stuff by playing all of these, but if there is no fun or pleasure for you in it, I wouldn’t do it. I mean, we are not professional guns-for-hire who have to play whatever they get asked. We are here to have fun!! :wink:

Just curious… (as I think you had a few more which you really didn’t like playing either).

3 Likes

I didn’t like playing some of them either, however, I started to see the method to Josh’s selections, and each one taught me something. Some new technique, or how to handle more complex songs, etc - without Josh’s explination, etc. And they do tie into the course fundemetals perfectly, all the while building on them too.

There are a LOT of exercies on bass and sax I don’t like, but, as @Barney says ‘eat your vegetables to get stronger’. That’s just my opinion on them anyway.

7 Likes

that’s a good question actually

3 Likes

I don’t doubt that, and it would probably do me good to “eat my vegetables” as well :wink: It just seemed that @brik1970 was doing them rather grudgingly, and so I wondered what drove him. Might very well be the same motivation as yours.

Damien Erskine encourages his students to turn every (dry) finger exercise or scale exercise into fun by trying to make each exercise “musical” (if that makes any sense!?). E.g., overlaying a groove onto a scale exercise and so on. In essence: pouring some mayonnaise on those vegetables :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I thought I would do more of the 50 songs, but there are songs that I just don’t want to play. I don’t have a shortage of songs I want to learn. I think that as long as you keep learning new songs it doesn’t matter what they are. There is no reason to torture yourself learning a song that you hate to listen to.

4 Likes

These are all good points from @John_E @joergkutter and @Paul_9207

I started the 50 song challenge after completing the B2B course. It gave me a sense of direction to move in and it definitely made me a better bassist.

I didn’t like all the songs I was learning but I did try my absolute darnedest to do the best cover I could at the time. Taking into account my current skill level. At no point did I think ‘oh screw it I’ll just knock this one out as quickly as i can’.

I don’t see the value in doing anything half hardheartedly.

So @brik1970 If you don’t like the songs I would encourage you do like most of us have done on this thread and pick songs you actually like to listen to and want to play.

It’s meant to be fun and trudging through the challenge just because somebody chose 50 songs seems to missing the joy of playing bass IMHO.

I’m currently learning a Grateful Dead song for this jam session I’m attending. Not my favourite for sure but the bigger picture is I get to play bass with other people in a room.

The upside is, it’s not The Eagles :wink:

6 Likes

Yep, that’d be my take as well.

And again, it wasn’t about challenge-shaming @brik1970 - just curious :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah. Cover what you like, it’s more rewarding as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good discussion and question. So I decided early when deciding to embark on the challenge, after reviewing the song selections, that I would do all of them, regardless of my preference or enjoyment.

My reasoning was based on a couple things…. 1) I assumed each song was selected for reasons by Josh to teach something or augment what was learned in the course in some way and 2) one of the reasons I stopped playing bass 30+ years ago is because I got very “stuck” (mostly by music preferences I had and technical/skill roadblocks) and couldn’t progress at all… I decided this time around I would diversify musical styles and learn as much as I can through the resources provided through the course. So, yeah, I guess I turned the 50 song challenge into a personal challenge. I record and post them for peer review and personal improvement, also to develop a history I can go back to and review and hopefully see my progress, identify things I need to work on, and so forth.

But I understand the comments made by @Barney , @joergkutter , @howard , @John_E and @Paul_9207 … I will take all that into consideration and may change my approach.

As for doing thing “half-heartedly”… I understand that point of view, but also consider that when I knocked these out quickly, I was demonstrating some skills I didn’t have previously… such as basically being able to perform a “sight read” and record a performance more or less on the spot. For me that’s a useful skill, even if the overall result is not super clean… just my take on it.

8 Likes

Life’s too short to dump time in to covering music you don’t like.

5 Likes

One day, brother. One day.

IMG_3726

5 Likes

Also what a great movie!

5 Likes

So good. I love the cameo scene with Mortimer and Randolph from Trading Places too.

3 Likes