Post your covers! (2023)

I love that song and I think you sounded great!

3 Likes

thanks @Paul_9207…I know lightning and the offspring is not a good combo for you so I hope the fact I was playing the offspring while wearing shorts with a lightning bolt wasn’t too triggering :melting_face:

3 Likes

Too soon! Haha, just kidding. That was hilarious.

3 Likes

Nice! You snuck some downpicking into this one. Tone sounds great, really shined through on the isolated part. Jelly seems like the best sound engineer/super-fan :cat:

4 Likes

50 Songs Challenge Song #10: U2 - With or Without You

Almost done with the first 10 songs!!

I decided to let the H pickup solo this one. So I popped the switch on my Jino bass and dialed the preamp down quite a bit. That H pickup is HOT HOT HOT!

I used the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with XLR Out to Volt 276 and then to Garageband. Video recorded with OBS. Original bass removed with Moises.ai. I brought it all together in iMovie.

Thanks for watching!

5 Likes

I got my first bass cover request! Full disclosure it was from my Mom :wink: She picked a great tune and I truly enjoyed learning it. Here is my cover of Bob Seger’s “Against the Wind”. The song has a country feel, lots of roots and fifths, played in a way that keeps things interesting and supports the song beautifully. This one’s for you Mom, someone who has never been afraid to run against the wind, I hope you enjoy :heart:

13 Likes

Cool playing that bass is always great to watch…I also like how the light made it look like a UFO is living in your bass

3 Likes

Nice picking @g13dip super clean. I haven’t heard that song in a long time. Happy memories, great cover.

Just started working through the spam folder @cheeze_pizza Albert King sounds good. That’s a good looking bass.

@dlamson13 yeah that bass line has a really nice feel to it.

5 Likes

Thanks Barney! I absolutely love it.

I guess I need to look into starting a User Video Index soon!

2 Likes

Well played @dlamson13, great job.

Bass a bit high in the mix but tone is great, I think a perfect job and ‘on-air worthy’ if mixed a bit lower.

Is the Jets shirt on purpose to demonstrate the title of the song? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Great cover @dlamson13 - especially since it was at your moms request… As for the mix, it sounded great on my iPhone speakers. Using headphones did result in a high bass forward mix as @John_E mentioned. I also played it through my studio speakers which were also a bit high in the mix, but also sounded (maybe) a bit over compressed?? I guess I was listening for a bit more “edge” in the bass tone that would kinda go “Against the Wind”… :thinking: :laughing: Then again, all this could just be how my speakers are set up right now - hell, everything is subjected to whatever a person is using to listen (or record) through anyway… Overall a terrific job… I’m sure you’ve made your mom proud!! And THATS all that really matters for this cover anyway… :smiley: :smiley:

BTW: I hope that beer on the amp didn’t get too awful warm during the recording… :beer:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

50 Songs Challenge Song No. 12: Smash Mouth - All Star

Played with Flea Jazz Bass
Neck Volume 50% - Tone 60%
Bridge Volume 100% - Tone 100%

Darkglass 500v2 Amp Head with Ampeg SVT15E cab
Compression 50%
MicroTubes ON
Tone 75%

XLR out into Volt 276 interface
Compression OFF
Vintage OFF
Gain 50%

Original Bass removed with Moises.ai. Audio recorded and mixed with GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

This one took a couple dozen takes to get it where I liked it enough to call it done. :laughing: That transitional measure starting Verse 3 kept getting me…

On to the next one!

Thanks for watching!

6 Likes

Splendidly done Mr. @cheeze_pizza !
hard to say anything other than fantastic!

3 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 ! Not much I can add to the above comments. Great song as well; Mom has good taste.

2 Likes

thanks @Barney…this is at the limit of my playing and and I was nervous to post it with the verse where it is just me playing alone with the drums…turns out I needn’t have worried as after 4 days it only has 2 youtube ‘views’ (= 30 secs+) that weren’t me :frowning_face:
thankful to those two who did watch, but it is kinda a downer overall for me However playing the song (and bass is general) is super fun so I might just stick to playing on the new amps for a while :loud_sound: :loud_sound: :loud_sound:

5 Likes

What will happen over time as you do more covers @g13dip is that some will get more than others. Most of mine are in the 50 to 100 range and then one is at 5000. It’s totally random.

You’re doing it to improve your playing (which is clearly working) and having fun. The view count is completely arbitrary IMHO.

For how long you’ve been playing that’s a solid cover :metal:

4 Likes

Excellent job @dlamson13 ! Love that song! Against the Wind

2 Likes

Which tune hit 5,000?
I am fascinated by what gets more views.

My top 3…

And bottom 3…

4 Likes

Dang it I missed this one, but got to see it now @g13dip!

You did an absolutely fantastic job on this song!
You’re a natural.
You must have been playing for quite some time, no?

3 Likes

great advice, my vids are unlisted anyway so not really for the views just for a community share on here, but I can’t help but look at the views and since I really hate giving other people the power to effect my happiness (especially over something like the bass) I might leave off posting until I can be a bit more nonchalant about them

2 Likes