Post your covers! (2023)

I had to do something, this dang #42 CCR song and it’s “swung sixteenths” is kicking my butt :rofl:

The Roger Maris treatment!? That’s harsh :rofl:

3 Likes

I just wanted to say that your progress and dedication is something worth noticing! Very good job on all the covers and keeping a consistent routine of playing!

4 Likes

Hey thanks! @robbp :smiley:

I’m working on a couple songs right now. Both are giving me some trouble but I hope get one of them posted tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for the encouragement.

2 Likes

This summer (yardwork and funnin’) and work / travel have killed my bass playing and cover creating.
Hoping September and the fall let’s me get back into a steay stream.
I have 5-6 in progress that I just need the time to focus and finish.

3 Likes

50 Songs Challenge - Song No. 6: Elvis Prestley - Hound Dog

https://youtu.be/OS7yCapTTPU

This take isn’t spot on but it was close enough that I decided to leave it unedited.

So…with that out of the way, let’s talk specs!

I played this with my Fender Fretless Jazz Bass. It’s strung with Labella Low Tension Flats. Neck volume: 8, Bridge volume: 6, Tone: 0

Ran the bass into the Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 head with an Ampeg SVT15E for the cab.

Darkglass settings: Compression 35%, Microtubes Engine ON, Tone 75%, Blend 35%

XLR Out to Volt 276 with Compression set to GTR and Vintage ON. Audio recorded with GarageBand. Video recorded with OBS. Finished in iMovie.

For more info on my journey tracking this song see the song thread! Song 6 - "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley - #159 by cheeze_pizza

Thanks for checking it out! :dog:

7 Likes

Double post today! I was fortunate to get to see 2 legendary bands last Tuesday, The Pretenders and Guns N’ Roses. I left the show so inspired, I grabbed my bass as soon as I got home even though it was 2am. I was determined to cover one song from each band.

For the opener, I covered the song “Kid” by Pretenders. This song comes from their self titled debut album. If you’ve never listened to the bass on this record, give it a spin. I’ve threatened to cover the entire album after doing “The Wait” last fall. The bass was originally played by the late Pete Farndon. Nick Wilkenson is the current bassist. He did a great job, rocking a sun burst P-Bass and a badass leather vest. :slight_smile:

The subject and way Chrissie delivers the vocals is hauntingly beautiful. Some things to listen for – The cool way Farndon’s bassline switches from walking bass to chugging and the sneaky key change after the bridge.

12 Likes

And now for some GNR! Duff McKagan needs no introduction. I honestly think Duff and Slash are performing at the top of their game right now. Axl, not as much, but he sang his heart out for 3 1/2 hours, and at least it was an honest performance (unlike some other bands from that era touring today). I covered “It’s So Easy” from the legendary Appetite for Destruction. It is “not so easy” however to capture Duff’s signature tone and aggressive playing style but I had a great time trying. I made a patch on my B1Four I’m pretty happy with to try and get close (I’ll add details to this post later). Thanks for checking it out.

14 Likes

Wow! I loved the tone on that GNR tune dude. I’ve never been able to see them live but was a big fan in the early 90s. My best friend would try to emulate Slash all the time. I did not have those guitar chops though…

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Great tune and great job there Johnny Fretless!
Are you ready to sell your inferior fretless basses yet?

Key changes are fun - usually, and help break the song into learnable chunks even further.
The exception is Sea of Love by The Honeydrippers. The song changes keys by a half step (IIRC) and because you are down by the nut, creates havoc on the patterns (open strings vs. not, etc). Took me a forever to nail it, my brain hurt.

2 Likes

Thanks @cheeze_pizza!

Slash inspired A LOT of players. Haha there’s a reason the “Sweet Child O’ Mine” riff is still ringing out dissonantly across Guitar Center’s everywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @John_E!

Haha not all of them. I sold the Schecter. Great bass, I just wasn’t playing it. I’m hanging on to the Fernandes though, was glad I had it for the Guns the cover.

Yes! That happened in this song. I learned the opening walking pattern by ear and I chose to play it using a lot of open strings. I didn’t actually know the key changed until I got to that part but in the new key it didn’t use any open strings. Playing from the “open” position hurt my brain. I shifted up the neck to keep the shapes similar.

3 Likes

sure ! Duff has really an interesting bass playing, nothing “so easy” indeed.

Also AFD is one of my favorites albums of all times. Great cover and great song !

3 Likes

Great playing @dlamson13 as usual.
Bit of weirdness at 1:20 to my ear but the rest was top notch pro stuff.
Loved the tone.

3 Likes

Two great covers @dlamson13 ! Both have great tone. Very nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks @terb! AFD definitely holds a special place in my heart, was pretty special to get to see them live for the first time.

3 Likes

Thanks John_E! Glad you liked the tone, I was inspired by an AMP video where he used the B1Four to model Duff’s sound. I used a lot of his settings. I continue to marvel at how much I’ve gotten out of that little $99 box.

I am just obnoxiously slamming the $@$# out of the G-String there. Not loving the sound either but I kept it in. I should’ve been using the same touch as in the opening riff. Guess I was a little over hyped haha.

3 Likes

Thanks @JerryP! Glad you liked the tones, very different sounds in the 2 songs for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t heard this song in years, forgot all about it… nicely done and cool bass line. Might have to put that one on my personal list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a killer Vibrato and as for you Fantastic playing. I love pretenders basslines and you are just killing it with a fretless no less. Awesome job @dlamson13

3 Likes

Couple of great covers, I really liked the GnR one you had a good tone happening…had not listened to it for a while, Axls vocal is very restrained in most of this song for his style (hardly any of his higher vocal stuff here) that was interesting to hear

3 Likes