Post your covers! (2023)

awesome as always @Al1885 !

3 Likes

Fantastic @beaurapp (brother and all)

4 Likes

Fantastic playing and basses @Al1885
Keep the bass models on the screen a bit longer please!

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E

Fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks @Paul_9207 it was a fun song. Going through all 5 strings

3 Likes

Next Cover

My favorite song by my favorite bassist of all time Mr Nathan East.

Change the World live

Bass
Yamaha BBNE2
Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Feugo Fretless
Warwick Team Built Corvette $$

All Center Detent

This is a fun song with everything in it. Long sustain note with double stops on top, lots of articulations and fun fills. It can also be comfortably played with a 4 string. I made a tab on a GP8 with 4 string I’ll be posting that I’ll be posting later comparing the affordable basses and how they sound.
The Fretless is so much fun to play I just love it. I had it on the StingRay Mode, it sounds so aggressive.

As always please enjoy!

16 Likes

@Al1885 You are from another planet. Your interpretation and effortless playing, while sitting there and wondering how Ginger and Mrs Howell had so many clothes, is truly impressive…

5 Likes

Lmao!!!

3 Likes

Yeah! lol. The days of spending hours of recording is gone with my restaurant, so I popped in for a quick couple takes then go do the Daddy choirs. Rinse and repeat, lol. The BBNE2 version I was in the shed in the middle of a 96* Sunday in Socal my AC was on full blast and it’s still 85* in the shed, you can see I kept wiping my sweats, ha ha.

3 Likes

Exactly, lol.

2 Likes

Oh that was tip top @Al1885 I’m working on a Nathan East song at the minute. That guy can play!

I really really enjoyed that :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

3 Likes

Thanks @Barney. I’m working on a few he crosses so many genres it’s so awesome. This song alone has so many awesome versions.

3 Likes

I watched an interview where he said he’d played on over 2000 albums. Seems like a genuinely nice guy as well.

3 Likes

He probably forgot more licks than I know how to play, :rofl:

Totally down to earth like you have no idea. I don’t know who’s more down to earth Nate or Leland, I know Leland like to joke around a lot. They both know they are the Sh!t there’s no need to flaunt it in everyone’s face.

5 Likes

@Al1885 that was truly amazing and on point. That’s incredible that you can just pop in and do a couple of takes and pull something like this off! Full props to you and great job! One day or one decade I might be able to do the same. Here’s hoping. Lol

4 Likes

Thanks @Glenn

It’s not a very difficult concept to approach pretty old school way of doing things, just have to aim for smoothness. The only way I know how is to go from slow to fast and no short cut. I build muscles memory by repetition. It also gives an extra benefit, it gives you time, the next thing you know you have time to do something extra.

I’ll give you an example of my cover, the Lemonade. I started at 60% speed when I was comfortable playing at about 75% speed but I made myself starting at 60% and increase 1% every sessions and each milestone of 10% I stay at that spot twice. By the time I get to 100 and plus 5% I’d play this song may be 700-900 times limited to 10-20 times per session. It sounds like a lot but it’s not. The reason to play faster than original is when you are back down to the original speed you are much more relax since you have done the worse, lol.

Another perk of doing it so many times is you are comfortable enough to your own personality in to the song, and really make it you. I really strive on that.

This is the original speed by Yein Kim, I found that it’s too fast for a good taste, it’s more mechanic than good sounding piece and since I’ve spent a lot of time climbing up to the original speed my ears like my version as it shows more articulation.

I put this on my Final Cut pro and drop it to 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and load it to my Moisses then drop digit percentage there on each milestone without losing any sound quality.

Here’s 70% pretty easy eh?

You already have the tab try it. it’s very doable.

I’ll record a slow version along with the tab when I post my Change the World live 4 String version. It would be fun I guarantee.

Just in case I’d include the tab here as well so you don’t have to scroll up to get it.

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give that a try :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Perfect cover and some gorgeous basses @Al1885 ! :ok_hand:

If I may ask, how long have you been playing? And do you play any other instruments?

4 Likes

Thanks @Ed I played since high school back when I was still living in Thailand, I came back here when I was 17 ( I was born here, my parents went to colleges here), I was full on with Wham, Cassiopea, Bad Co, and so on. I hung out with a lot of people in studio but not really recording much as they, Hitman Studio session musician recording Thai songs were miles above my ability at the time (college). Stopped playing around mid 90’s and picked it up again during lock down, with one caveat, in 2005 I worked as an executive chef for a bonafide recording Studio owner/ producer. Put it this way, he recorded “If it makes you happy” and an entire album of Alanis Morissette. I wish I play then, I’d scored a whole bunch of awesome gears for dirt cheap. lol. I met so many cool musicians and luckily since I cooked them food, and not playing they really treated me well.

As a bassist, you know you gotta love to play drums so I play drums, half of my covers are from my drums playlist, lol. I play a few songs on guitars, and I can play any songs on Keys as long as they are in the key of C, :sweat_smile:. I want more than anything is the ability to play Sax but seriously, I know it’s never too late to learn anything, I know it is for me, :joy:.

7 Likes

Oh wow you must have been a lot better than you think you were when you were first playing in high school if you got back into it so easily during lockdown :grinning::+1: . I used to play back in the early 90s but never really got beyond Metallica covers.

I used to play the cello for a while back at school when I was about 11 but didn’t get very far - nice instrument but I think I needed more friends to play with. The instructor used to get me to carry the double bass back across the playground to the music cupboard (probably for the lols :laughing:).

7 Likes