Post your covers! (2023)

True in the same year they don’t. Except for the obvious exotic woods throughout their existence they do share the same body wood. Maybe squier uses more pieces glued together.

I found that the popular types of wood use to make bodies don’t necessarily determine the price of the instruments.

That’s pretty impressive playing for a “from scratch to record in one day” project :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter
Only ever did it once before on Only Happens When It Rains by Garbage.

I’ve been trying to develop a bit of a protocol for learning a tune faster, seems to be working. Lol

3 Likes

not a bad tune to learn though :ok_hand:

Agree that tune has some sophisticated timing and note variations. Those parts usually takes a bit longer to commit to memory and it sure didn’t look like you were reading @John_E

The notes feel like it’s been under your fingers for a few months. Very difficult things to do in a week let alone one day. Careful now you are becoming a seasoned player, lol.

2 Likes

My first cover. Alice in Chains - Nutshell (Unplugged)

Originally tried to upload this to YT and they blocked it right away… :sweat_smile: So I guess Vimeo it is. Played on the Jino Bass with the bridge pickup rolled off as well as some of the active bass EQ. Not as bright as the acoustic but sounds good for a first run. It probably took me 3 dozen attempts to get this nearly excellent take. :laughing:

15 Likes

Oh I was, wasn’t all up in the noggin.

2 Likes

Sounds great, like the matching hat!
You need the matchy match strap too now.

Beautiful bass, great tone, great timing.
Maybe a bit high in the mix but that is personal preference.

Did you take out the original bass or is it still there?
Hard to tell, sounds like it’s there, but maybe it was difficult to remove esp when so high up the neck.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have to look into that!

It’s still there. I didn’t alter the original (which might be why YT crapped on it so fast). It peeks out here and there when we go out of sync.

3 Likes

Cheesy as hell I love it. Great job @cheeze_pizza.

I think I’d roll back the tone knob just a bit to be on your own lane. When you slide the G string it’s too clean and you want it to be dirty and growly. Plus the original he was using a pick playing flat against the strings, and when he needs brightness, he play from the edge so if you want to replicate that you’re going to need to move your plucking finger toward the bridge, it should do the trick.

Slow laid back songs are very difficult to do, a couple more runs under your fingers you’d be ready for showtime. You hit all the notes just need to sounds old and worn, lol.

4 Likes

Nice cover @cheeze_pizza .
Loved the slide early on. Very well executed as was the rest of cover.

3 Likes

Thanks Al!

This Jazz Bass doesn’t have a Tone knob per se, but it does have Treble/Bass boost. I rolled off some of the low end and also turned the bridge pickup down to zero. The knob set is pretty wild!

Here is the list from Fender: Knob 1: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup with Push/Pull Active/Passive), Knob 2: Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Knob 3: Volume 3. (Middle Pickup with Push/Pull Middle Pickup Only), Knob 4: Treble Boost, Bass Boost.

I do want to have another go at it with a pick, and perhaps with my fretless. That’s another goal for another day.

Thanks again. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks Mac! :smiley:

2 Likes

3 of my basses only have volume knobs and nothing else. What I learn is if I want warm deep tone mellow I’d play at or toward the neck pocket and if I want heavier attack or brightness I’d play towards the bridge or right in front of it. So the entire song I’d be moving my right hand up and down the pickups.

2 Likes

Great first cover @cheeze_pizza ! Great timing and tone.
Looking forward to the next one.
:+1:

3 Likes

kh

4 Likes

Thanks Jerry! :smiley:

2 Likes

audio only tonight (couldn’t be bothered setting the cam & all that up :smile:), mistakes and all :joy:
but this is a fun little jam :+1:

Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl
https://youtu.be/HBRujOmAfYU

5 Likes

If you’re going to do a cover it really helps @terb who keeps track of all the covers for the year to list the name of the band and the song title in your post. Cheers

3 Likes

Worked for me @Barney :confused: