Post your covers! (2023)

@Ant Thanks for sharing these guys. Very similar vibe to Winnetka Bowling League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh27VnYxJ10

1 Like

I think this mix is fantastic!
I didn’t know the original, so watched the video, glad I did :wink:

I think your bass sounds even better than the original mix, or just as good.
I really like this one.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy! Very rapture-esque imagery in the video. Just starting on another one of their songs, and it looks like I may have found accurate tabs for once!

1 Like

Definitely have a similar vibe. What a bizarre video for that one! Loved it. Never heard of this band before, I’ll do some exploring. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m so late! But thank you for listening and for the compliments, @JerryP @Growl @John_E @Al1885 @cheeze_pizza

5 Likes

Well, here I am again, my first cover in a little over a year. Most of you know the reason why.
Stray Cat Strut, by the Stray Cats; bass originally performed by the amazing Lee Rocker on the upright.
I played it on the Yamaha SLB300 with no effects other than a little compression added in post production.
132 bpm
C minor
I also posted my transcript in the Transcript Depot thread.
Here it is Stray Cat Strut

23 Likes

Fantastic and what a great comeback!!

Ans what a way to spark GAS in me with that bass!

4 Likes

Well done, Pam. Well done indeed. Great song, great cover. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E

3 Likes

great to see you back, @PamPurrs ! I haven’t heard this song since a few years, it’s always a joy, I love Brian Setzer’s guitar playing.

Also you played this double bass very well, the lack of frets doesn’t seem to be a problem for you. And also the SLB300 sounds really really good.

4 Likes

Thanks @terb . Yes, it takes many hours of practice to train the muscle memory on a bass without frets or markers.

3 Likes

Great cover Pam! Loved your video :rofl: pretty sweet bass as well!

3 Likes

Finished up this one earlier this afternoon. Actually a lot trickier to play than it sounds, had a lot of timing issues that kept making me quite frustrated, since it’s pretty simple note-wise. Keeping with the same band, here’s my take on
Cannons - Come Alive
Edit: Whoops, posted the wrong link
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/55fLbTEWs7ch1KnUY0dj3L5BcC2u2jje

4 Likes

@Ant love that Gnarles Barkley song and it’s great bassline. You did a nice job of it.

1 Like

you’re on fire, @Ant !
:fire:

2 Likes

Thanks buddy! It’s so much fun to learn new songs, I am hooked!

Been trying to play this song for an extremely long time, it’s given me many a headache…I just recorded this and am feeling like I want to move on from this one. Not super happy with the take, there’s a few mistakes in there and I wish it blended a little better, but it’s good enough for now! I will revisit this one at a later date and hopefully get that perfect take that I so desperately want.

XTC - Generals and Majors
https://audio.jukehost.co.uk/CxxpcbKeJqAK3NwgXqOd08K9XsNTWmgw

1 Like

Awesome @PamPurrs !

3 Likes

Great cover @PamPurrs .
Quite mind blowing how muscle memory can do that stuff :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac

2 Likes

That’s was awesome! Love the sound! Fantastic job Pam!

2 Likes