Post your covers! (2023)

Wow, this is cool. I know this technique usually done on keyboard/synth to add depth, double stereo tracks, it’s interesting to see how you tweaked it for bass. I love it.

1 Like

You all know what day it is in the beautiful New Year.

It’s a Lovey day, lol
By Bill Withers

I was watching yet another movie in @John_E neighborhood “Bull” one of the episodes this song was playing I just Shazam it. Very catchy bass line so here we are.

https://youtu.be/56LBsQy7K_M

It’s the Fender’s turn so I made it the all American family. I actually started with the 75 reissued build but when I go to post somehow my audio mix was missing in action and syncing it along with the others seemed to be beyond my kung fu skills at the moment, lol.

The rest is the
American Professional P bass ii with Delano pick and xPure pre
American performer Mustang
American deluxe precision with Tony Franklin’s Fretless with the custom prototype EMG PVX and custom double JVX pickups and custom EMG Pre. It’s definitely my favorite Fretless. So instinctively easy to play despite being unlined.

11 Likes

I love the sound of the Mustang!
And I wish I played fretless enough (ie. at all) to upgrade to the Tony Franklin, great bass.

All sound really good.
This is my alarm song, hard to start the day poorly to this.

I think the challenge for you now is to do a song with every bass you own in it.

2 Likes

I find that some Fretless are easier to play than another, Tony Franklin neck is definitely one of them. My Musicman BFR is much much harder to get the right notes. I can’t really play that bass without looking almost all the time. Yet my other Musicman Fretless was much easier to play.

I thought about doing every basses I have it would just take some effort to get them all in one place so to speak, lol. I’ll definitely start with the ones in the sheds.

1 Like

Great cover and sound with that Mustang.
:+1:

1 Like

Great cover, superb song choice. You can’t go wrong with Bill Withers.

3 Likes

Another great cover @Al1885

The only downside is that anything that could Wither is concerning at my age :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @JerryP Mustang is definitely fun. I chose to go with just the p pickup in the front as it’s very satisfyingly deep and thumping.

2 Likes

Thanks @mediaklan i agree it’s funky.

1 Like

Kinda cheating… But it’s the best I can do for now, so… :man_shrugging: :joy:
(There are mistakes… Quite a few, but I’m still a noobie so don’t expect too much… :rofl:)

https://youtu.be/4jaWjVYoB18

https://youtu.be/F0y9t4zm-Zg

https://youtu.be/IGiPCiTTixI

7 Likes

Nice job all around @DeadPixels !!!
Great songs too.
couple of blips and blops but no one cares about those here.
Your timing and tone is really great all around, although the chugging at the beginning of the third one was a bit off.

It does show you have been playing for a while for sure, great technique.
Do you play guitar too?

It’s not cheating, its no different than someone looking at sheet music or tab, but…
But I bet you could do this without burning holes in your screen with your eyes.
:upside_down_face:

fantastic work!

6 covers day 2 of the year!
@terb - you have your work cut out for you this year

6 Likes

yeah it’s a good start for sure :grin:

2 Likes

Cheers! :slightly_smiling_face:

Nah, I tried guitar a bit like 20 years ago, just didn’t really enjoy it that much, I like life at the low end :joy:

I struggle to remember even little sections :rofl: too reliant on the visual cues maybe :man_shrugging:
Finally getting around to getting amp tomorrow though, so who knows… :joy:

4 Likes

I love this song @Al1885! I did a version last summer, had the exact same reaction as you, I heard it and just had to play it. Very cool fretless work. Great job!

3 Likes

First cover of the new year. Really punching above my weight here, so not perfect.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: The Impression That I Get.

https://youtu.be/XXU7LT-JrIc

Really hard to do the arpeggios starting on an offbeat and then hold the last note in each series and then transition. First 10 recordings I was really staccato, hope this sounds more smooth. Not happy with the bridge either as I accidentally muted a couple of notes in the first run.

Lots of hand cramps, frustration, swearing, and breaks in between, which is why I am not looking too enthused on the video.

15 Likes

Hey thanks @AnotherJosh

1 Like

Wow, really cool RockSmith cover. They are not exactly easy, lol. You did great. Love it. I gotta dig up mine and play it lord knows how much I spent on the songs, lol.

1 Like

Thank you @dlamson13 it was a fun cover for sure. It was one of those tune that make you smile when you hear it.

2 Likes

I love two things here…

1. You always push yourself, and it makes your progress go a lot faster because of it.
  2. You have grown from a noob to a wannabe before our eyes

I think you did a great job here, great tone too.
I can’t play fast like this, at least on purpose, lol.

I can play the sax part though, lol.

6 Likes

Great finger work @Old_WannaBe. There’s no accidentally muted notes they are intentionally ghosted.

2 Likes