Post your covers! (2023)

I do my compression within the Stomp. But is very basic terms the attack and release knobs determine how quickly the compressor gets hold of the note after you’ve played it and compresses it and the release is how quickly it lets it return to it’s uncompressed volume. You’re now at the end of my knowledge on this.

Here’s a screen shot of how it works with Helix if that helps?

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.22.47 AM

2 Likes

Ah… sorry thought it was daw based.
Pedal based compressors require a very good ear and a lot of experience to dial in, unless there is a visible light array to go by. Your Cali only has the glowing orb as a pseudo meter in the middle which is a bit harder to dial in just so. Not too bright, not too dim. I have the older Cali pedal with the multi segment led array as a meter.

For recording, plug-in compressors are the way to go. Pedals are for live IMO.

2 Likes

Hahahaha. Each compressor works a bit (or a lotta bit) differently so take with some salt grains @cheeze_pizza

What I’d do is go online and look up some hood or sample settings for the OE Cali and record quick bits until you like what you hear.

Just note. Each bass and playing style will want different settings. Welcome to the compressor rabbit hole.

2 Likes

Wow… It seems I need to spend an hour or two just getting to know the pedal better!

1 Like

Ya I can only adjust compressors visually still so I need the feedback. Not clever enough for by ear quite yet but - I’m sure there are some good starting points out there.

Once you spend time with it I’m sure you will start to get a good feel.

2 Likes

It takes a while to fully get compression. The most important perception shift (IMO) is to realize that instead of just peak limiting, what you are actually adjusting is a way to make things louder for the parts you want to hear.

2 Likes

Ok…doing this a little out of order as I haven’t done an intro post yet, but posting a cover is a goal for me so I want to tick it off.
short intro: Im Nick and I have been playing bass since Oct last year and started bass buzz course soon after (will provide more in intro post later)
On to my cover:
I am more skate punk than horror punk but found this early misfits song that I really liked recently. In the end I learned it 3 ways which was a little odd. 1st one was the UG tab version. Then I looked on youtube and found a guy who played the whole thing on one string (D) which was interesting but didn’t have the right tone for me. Then I watched Jerry Only (misfits bassist) performing it live and realized he played it slightly differently again and --he used his fingers to play!–. He gets a cool sound from it but as a committed punk picker my version is picked. Anyway, the third version I learned yesterday was an idea of mine to go drop D tuning and play most of it on the low D. Ending up doing my first bass recording to see if it sounded ok, and it did so I decided to post it to tick off my goal.

Notes on recording: I have not removed the original bass, but as I am playing most notes an octave down (and the original has very little low end) it all fits ok in the mix. However it also means even though I tried to mix my bass louder than normal Jerrys higher bass playing is the one you hear not really me. So to facilitate listening: I cut my bass track for 10secs about 20seconds into the song so you can hear what the original sounds like, and then near a minute in I solo my bass for 10secs so you can hear my bass tone (and rudimentary playing)

Recording gear: Vintage (brand) VJ74 ash bass into Rumble40 with some overdrive on, through headphone out (need to find one of my xlrs) into behringer audio interface to Logic DAW. A few plugins on the bass and a rough mix later here we are

[Misfits - Hybrid Moments (bass cover)]()

2 Likes

– Apologies if all my deleted posts show but I had trouble with the link and am making my first post here –
hopefully track link is below (couldn’t get embed to work for me)

https://youtu.be/y4gT2wNu0uM

7 Likes

no problem ! to embed the youtube link, you have to use a link with this format :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gT2wNu0uM

and then :

6 Likes

There is that smiling face!..thanks for that

3 Likes

Nice work on that! Misfits are awesome.

5 Likes

Thank you, truly. :.)
I’m very glad you think so and yeah- that was exact moment my mind was like- “oh shit the counts change for the next three measures and that went sideways lol
I’m currently working on the song this ties into that follows a very similar structure so we shall see if I can prevent that from happening again lol

2 Likes

This is great!!!
Well done all around @g13dip!

That’s a lot of picking.

Keep 'em coming!

1 Like

thanks…the song is about 195bpm so I have no choice but to alternate pick if I want to play it…makes it so much easier to play as far as speed goes, thou single strokes would definitely be more punk (or even go with the angry fingers like Jerry Only did)

1 Like

This may be hard to believe but we are all have been there, lol. Some of us are still struggle with finger speed and timing, strike that, all of us are still dealing with finger speed and timing, lol. Of course at slightly faster and a bit more complex chain of notes.

Moral of the story is your pain never ends so just keep practicing, lol.

4 Likes

Very valid lol that I do very much believe.
I definitely don’t intend on stopping considering I have a genuine addiction to bashing my head against this instrument so I’ll definitely get more numb to the pain of that.

3 Likes

That doesn’t change either. Did that last night for a while. It comes and goes. If it doesn’t come - you’re not practicing right nor pushing yourself hard enough.

3 Likes

Lol! This is the truth!

1 Like

Re-posted from 50 First Songs Challenge #37:
Here is my take on The Chain. What a legendary outro on this song, I’ll even grant a pardon for the fade-out. Thanks for watching!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsyIfQk5OJw

Squier CV Jazz (all controls maxed most of the song, bridge pickup only at the end) → Behringer BDI 21 → Interface

16 Likes

Well done. Loved it @dlamson13 !!!

2 Likes