Post your covers! (2024)

That’s a fun chorus bass lines. good job @BillBass

2 Likes

That’s a great tone considering you have the sponge all the way up and across the strings, lol. man that JMJ looks sexy. Good Job Cheezy @cheeze_pizza

1 Like

Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Put a Spell on You

Vacation mode recording and video:-)

7 Likes

Very cool! And that is the best sounding bass I have ever heared here on BassBuzz - it must be huge and very expensive :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, the biggest there is! Money is not something that matters when it comes to bass.

2 Likes

Yeah, your cover shows impressively that you don’t need a “Dong Whale” or a “Bender” (can’t remember the actual brand names ^^) to get cool sound!

Maybe you can write a review for the Blackstar on YOUR Bass Reviews - and I add my comments on the modifications I made. Together we could provide quite some insights about that “Klein aber oho” (German for: “small but WTF!”) bass.

2 Likes

Today, we see a brief return to Soft Cell, just for the hell of it :wink:

Soft Cell - Bedsitter

I not sure the video turned out entirely the way I imagined it would, but hey, I have no shame :rofl:. Note the special guests!

Played on the Dingwall, into GarageBand via a Scarlett Solo.

Once again, my daughter was on videographer duty, with her fee split 50:50 between her piggy-bank and a charitable donation to an upcoming school’s triathlon she’s doing in May. Oh, and I discovered that it’s actually quite difficult trying to get to play lying down, especially, the roots and 5th section!

5 Likes

I find myself getting lost in the mix a bit with a short scale when playing with a band depending on the type of music that is played. Totally different than recording. Great with a lot of the 60s and 70s music live though.! Kept my cheaper Ibanez tmb30 and sold the more expensive Jazz junior I had. Going to throw some better pickups on the Ibanez. . Plays great.

2 Likes

To quote the guy in the guitar store today: “just turn the volume knob to 100%!” :slight_smile:

I have no experience with playing in a band, and will never play in a band too as a) I will never be good enough and b) nobody will want me in a band anyway ^^

But when I am covering stuff, my tiny Blackstar has no issue whatsoever to dominate the song, if it wants too. And it really wants to!
My only issue, if any, is songs that have drop D tuning. My bass is aching, it rumbles & grumbles. It really wants all 24" to get down to it. But then it is all to much tension, it gets anxious, sloppy, and cannot shake the earth as intended.

That never happened to me before though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Drop tuning is not ideal on short scale because the stings have less tension than a long scale but can be done. A good set up by a pro could probably fix any issues tuning down I would think. Its not really a volume issue for me. Its the tone. Long scale basses are more versatile and you can get a much brighter and punchier tone with them in my experience. Short scales sound a bit darker. They definitely have their place though. Many famous bass players have used them. If you are playing slap bass its night and day though in my opinion. A short scale cannot compete. It can be done but not the same.

3 Likes

You probably will not see Flea playing a Hofner.

3 Likes

Now I want to see Flea playing a Hofner, d@mn :slight_smile:

I have done the setup myself and am quite proud that I get it as perfect as possible now!

I will NEVER EVER slap! Slapping totally gets on my nerves. For some songs it really is great, but I hate that “self pleasuring” slapping I must endure so very often when watching YouTube videos.

NO! NEVER!

@BillBass:
I had the 5 string TMB35 for a day. I kind of liked it, except for the sound :slight_smile:
It was not propertly setup and I could not set it up in a way that I could avoid fret noises. It felt like utter defeat, as I pride myself of doing great setups ^^
Also the strings themselves felt cheap, but that can be resolved.

You are happy with the TMB30, obviously? Tell me more!

2 Likes

Sometimes we just need a challenge! I know for me that once I “finish” a song and record it and put it out there, even if it isn’t perfect, I seem to let go of that stress that comes with trying to play it. I often find that I can play the same piece with more precision afterwards without worrying about it so I would encourage you to keep at it. A great accomplishment regardless!

5 Likes

I have so many covers to get through, I swear you can’t take even the slightest break from this thread without ending up hundreds of posts behind!

Before I tried to play this song I watched a handful of covers on Youtube and they all played the bass line the same way, essentially just following the rhythm guitar the whole time so that’s how I learned it before I ever bothered to isolate the bass track. When I did, it didn’t sound anything like what I’d been playing. It’s basically a 6 minute chug on the root notes, quite boring really, so I can see why others chose to play it the way they did. As a purist, I didn’t want to play the song improperly but there just isn’t enough excitement in this bass line to make me want to cover it. So, I decided to basically blend the two styles I had seen into my own. The song needs the driving pressure that the steady chugging provided but I also wanted to highlight some of the rhythm guitar parts. If you try to learn this song just know that what you’re about to see isn’t how it’s actually played but I think part of covering a song in part is making it your own.

David Bowie - “Heroes”

9 Likes

I like the playability and chunkier neck on the TMB30. Yeah Needs a bit bit of help with the sound. Heard putting EMG Geezer Butler Pickups on it makes a huge difference. Changed the strings and had a luthier adjust the neck and it eliminated the fret buzz. I do partial setups but not comfortable messing with the truss rod. Hoping the new pickups make it sound as good as they say.

1 Like

The Jazz Junior was great though. Just a bit expensive and I was not using it that much. Really wanted a P bass to go with my Fender Jazz. Cant go too crazy with all the basses!

1 Like

I like your bass line @Ant , and also I like the way you decided to blend the two versions to create your own.

3 Likes

Why not try something completely different for short scale, instead of upgrading the TMB30, like this one (it’s cheap and should be available again soon):

I get my Sire U5 tomorrow, and I hope it’s great. Still got some money left, so I’m thinking about the Harley Benton MV-4PJ Gotoh as a modding platform, just because…

Or I’ll try something completely different, like the Harley Benton B-450FL, which is fretless. Don’t know why I want it - but I do!

1 Like

Picked up the Ibanez used on FB Marketplace so I feel its worth it to spend a little extra on the pickups. Not in for all that much money on it.

1 Like

Heard good things about the Sire U5. Almost bought one but they were hard to get at the time.

1 Like