Post your covers! (2024)

Mark’s solo stuff is pretty incredible imo. Thinking about it, I’d love to try and figure the bass for Gravedigger’s song.

1 Like

Yeah I have those but you need to know what you doing and be careful with it!

Yeah They had studio bassists on their later albums.
Jerry Scheff played on LA Woman. Pretty well know and respected bassist. Played with Elvis Presley.

Duran Duran - Rio

Ok this is pushing my abilities significantly. It’s not perfect and there’s a few timing issues, but I’m pleased with what I’ve achieved here. Comments welcome, I hope you like it.

Original bass removed (mostly) with Moises.

Sandberg VS4 > HPF > Markbass Compressore > PJB Big Head > Audacity

Peace
//K

4 Likes

My friend if you can read this sentence then you’re smart enough to adjust a truss rod with an Allen wrench.

5 Likes

nice @Kurt , but is it a full song ? the end is kinda brutal :slight_smile: I ask that because we have another thread for incomplete songs : Post your practice fragments!

1 Like

@terb Ah no there’s a problem there, It should be a full song…

Added link to correct file…hopefully!!

2 Likes

I go over this guy’s set up vids before changing strings and / or refresh my set up. Of all the set up videos I’ve seen online, this series of 4 videos (total run time of all 4 is something like 10 - 15 minutes) is the clearest explanation of wtf to do. Additionally, I tighten all of the screws and moving pieces, even the pegs for the straps, while I’ve got the tools out.

1 Like

I mean he’s good, but he’s no @JoshFossgreen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

John Carruthers is the Morgan Freeman of bass setup! Love to just listen to that guy!

2 Likes

Yeah I am sure I can watch a youtube video and figure it out. Anything can be learned. There has to be a reason these Luthiers are so busy though! If there are any on here they may not like your comment. Lol A pretty good amount of working musicians I know get professional setups.

3 Likes

It really is no rocket science. Just be careful with your nut!

2 Likes

I love this collab for this cover a lot. We’ve got:

Smashing Pumpkins (incl Hooky’s son): 2
Screaming Trees/QotSA: 1
Pro drum instructor: 1

Mid-pandemic too.

3 Likes

Maybe, but I don’t think you guys give these pros enough credit. They know way more than you think. I would bet I can tell if a pro set up my bass compared to one of you guys on here . No offense. lol Nothing wrong with supporting your local music store also! Most Luthiers are in bands and work for the store and music is their career. They do this all day so my money is on them! I do my own plumbing sometimes watching YouTube but I am certainly no plumber! I get doing it yourself though.

2 Likes

It’s usually pretty cheap to get it done also.

My new P bass. Put some lighter gauge stings on it and had to adjust the intonation on it but still bringing it in for a set up! They are never set up properly from the factory for some reason. Not too bad though. Love this bass! Just volume and tone. So simple but it works for me. My new new main bass.

7 Likes

No, on the contrary - I have quite a few luthiers in walking distance and used to visit them regularly until they posted a sign “No Chris van Hoven allowed!” in the window.
Especially the one I can almost see from my balcony (Über Uns - WerNer Guitars) is absolutely great!

His list of clients: Hannes Bauer (Lindenberg), Thomas Blug, Bo Diddley, Lars Elfendahl, POOL, Falco (GOLD-BASS), Rory Gallagher, David Gilmour, Dennis Hormes, SIZARR, Uwe Hassbecker (Silly), Johannes Oerding, Peter Hesslein (James Last, Lucifers Friend…), Heli Schneider, Franz Plasa (HOME-STUDIOS, Felix DeLuxe…and, and…) Hollies, Jörn Heilbut (The Jeremy Days…), Mathias Jabs (Scorpions), The Knights, Anselm Kluge, David King, The Kinks, Mark Knopfler, Mirko Michalzik, Pat Metheney, Christian Neander (Selig, Kung Fu…), Nick Oosterhuis, John Monday, Klaus Volland, ,Mick Ralphs (Pink Floyd), Chris Rea, Steve Ray Vaughan, Richie Arndt, Richard Schuhmacher, Hartmut Wölke, Santana, Abi Wallenstein … and me :slight_smile:

The guy has forgotten more about guitars than I will ever learn. In fact he explained the whole process in much detail to me, when he setup my first bass, and told me that truss rod, bridge and intonation can easily done by myself. Nut only when I’m prepared to have some nuts destroyed before I get it right.
While travelling I setup my guitar twice now - when I arrive at the destination and when I come home. And I travelled a lot, cause of work.

For everything else, a luthier makes absolute sense. Not only cause chatting with them presents a wealth of insights!

1 Like

Ha! Wow. Great you are learning all this. I just don’t completely trust my skills! Maybe you can make some extra cash and take on some clients if you enjoy doing it.

1 Like

I absolutely enjoy it, but people would expect me to not only setup their bass but also being able to play it. I am like a car mechanic that cannot drive :slight_smile:

It’s a matter of focus and practice…

EDIT Cause I have some issues with my nuts (on my bass ^^), I use those:

Easy to adjust, great sound!

Ha I know a drum tech who can barely play the drums. Makes a living off it in NYC with some pretty good names. Focus and practice always makes sense.

1 Like