Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Indeed, there are! It’ll take some time, but I’ll learn it.

3 Likes

The learning curve for Ableton is STEEP (even for the Lite version, which probably only differs by limiting some capabilities or number of tracks, add-ons etc). My guess is you’d have to invest a lot of time, especially if this is the first time you are dealing with this type of software…
On a Mac, GarageBand is the way to go - on a PC, I don’t know, but there must be “simpler” software available that let’s you get down to recording without taking a degree first…

Maybe “Audacity”!?

3 Likes

Audacity is pretty simple, yeah. Cakewalk is not bad either. Both are free.

2 Likes

@Howard I just installed Audacity and it seems to be a lot simpler with a lot less features that I really don’t need right now. Does it have the ability to import a song and then play a bass track over it?

1 Like

You can find a basic file-import tutorial here: (Tutorial - Editing an Existing Audio File - Audacity Manual)
This may also have been installed on your PC when you installed Audacity.
After you get it imported, then go to the recording tutorial to learn how to add your bass track to the existing tracks. HINT: always save a copy of the import before you start messing with it!

4 Likes

Hey @PamPurrs, I use Audacity, and it’s great, simple to figure out, and, for me, has been effective at posting covers. I posted some details of how to get it going in another post if it helps, it’s on this thread, post 7 of 89:

Jam Tracks / Improv. Tracks - Share your bassline - #7 by Gio

Also, to answer your question, it definitely has the ability to import a song, then overdub a bass track onto it, see the above thread, and, also, lots of tutorials on YouTube.

2 Likes

@Fred thanks for that. Turns out I have it on my laptop from when I installed the program. I also found some YouTube videos which I’m watching.

1 Like

Thanks @Vik. Where do I find that backing track that you mentioned in the post?

1 Like

That backing track is in the very first post on that thread, by Gio. If you go to the bottom of that post, where he has that link to his SoundCloud, there’s a small downward pointing arrow, next to where it says “Share” under the SoundCloud logo. Click on that little arrow to download the file.

Once you get it, and figure out how to get Audacity going using some of those instructions, you’re all set to record a bassline over that jam track. Post it on that thread, we’d love to hear it! Quite a few of us posted something, so, you can get some examples. Mine was super beginner level, so don’t feel like it has to match up to the more experienced bass players :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Got it, thanks!

1 Like

Well, I gave Audacity a shot, but it didn’t work out. I guess I’m going to have to spend the time to learn Ableton.

1 Like

when you use a new DAW you need to setup the audio in/out interfaces (here the input is your new Zoom DAI), have you done that ?

1 Like

@terb Yes, I designated the Zoom U-22 as the input, but all I get are error messages with no explanation. The manual is no help. I’ve tried all the rebooting and all that normal troubleshooting stuff, but to no avail. I’m guessing Audacity is not compatible with this device.

Since the Zoom U-22 came with Ableton, I’m assuming that’s what I’m supposed to use, albeit quite complicated to learn.

1 Like

in theory any DAI works with any DAW, as long as the drivers (of the DAI) are properly installed on the computer. I’m surprised if it’s not compatible. Anyway you could try with Ableton, in my opinion a “real DAW” requires some learning but it’s worth it ! Audacity has very limited capabilities.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs could you post the error messages?

@eric.kiser there were so many different error messages, and every time I tweaked the app and got rid of one, an different one popped up. I think I’ve got it working now, I just don’t know what settings I changed to make it work. I only hope it stays working.

1 Like

Video worked fine for me Terb! You sound great! Love the tone as always.

For those 3rd fret to 5th fret bits, have you experimented much with doing index-pinky fretting instead of index-ring? In my experience, it lets your hand relax more (once you get the hang of it), and also helps avoid the thumb-over-the-neck thing, which works okay for bass lines like this but can be really problematic with more technical playing. Just some food for thought!

Nice bossa nova @PeteP! Nice round tone, and your rhythm is really solid. I wish my first publicly shared playing sounded that good… One Step Beyond sounds great too! Sounds a lot like Module 5 Lesson 2 actually, which is interesting because I’ve never heard this song before now.

I think we’ve got a good balance of polite and honest around here. :stuck_out_tongue: Personally, I try not to get too deep into bass teacher mode unless someone is specifically asking for feedback, so if that’s what folks are looking for, maybe put a little “open to any constructive feedback” clause in your post so we know. Otherwise you will simply be praised for your excellent efforts. :+1:

4 Likes

thank you Josh ! yes you’re right, I agree … I must confess there’s some lazyness here :sweat_smile: on very simple bass lines like this I don’t really think where I put my fingers, they just go where it’s the more comfortable : the 3rd and 5th fret are not very far and I guess I must have way more strength in my ring finger than in the pinky so I go naturally the easy way :sweat_smile: (+ there’s some bad habbit from my guitar playing for sure).

yeah :+1:

2 Likes

OK, firstly, thanks for the positive comments. I do like Song For My Father because it’s a whole song that isn’t hard to remember or play through. I thought the tone was nice too - that’s flats for you!

That’s probably what got me thinking about it, but more importantly; how have you - a self-confessed Ska fan - not heard One Step Beyond? It is classic Madness (before they went all pop in the 80s). On the same song subject, “constructive criticism welcome”: while playing it I felt rushed but thought I was holding the timing together, however on listening back I can hear a double tap going on and I suspect it’s my left fingers slapping down onto the frets in their haste to keep up. Any pointers on that problem with fast pieces, other than slow it down, practice, then speed it up? It feels like it’s just that tiny bit too far to stretch, but too fast to microshift at this stage.

1 Like

OK, so I spent the last week learning Queen’s Another One Bites The Dust… Trying to learn a new song each week as part of my practice routine. It starts a bit funky since I had some trouble with Garage Band, but after a few notes things settled down a bit. Still have a couple areas that I can work on with timing and all, but for the most part it was a fun song to learn. For me it was a real ‘Timing Nightmare’… Anyway, feel free to critique all you want. Going to work on some Aerosmith this next week…

Oh, there’s also a long portion in the middle of the song that I call the “Beer Break”… You’ll no when it happens so feel free to indulge in what ever you wish… :beer::tumbler_glass:

Another One Bites The Dust

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

7 Likes