Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I’m near Valence, in the north of the south :laughing:

1 Like

Ah cool. I’ve been through there a couple of times - I used to go to the Bol d’Or at Ricard every September throughout the 1980’s.
Sorta Lyon, Valence, Montelimar, Orange, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence kinda way.
Generally went east of there though, over the Alpes Maritimes (Grenoble, Gap, Sisteron etc) but did go the Valence way a time or two.
I love France, and I love the south particularly. I envy you living there !!

1 Like

Thanks @muff. I don’t smoke or vape anything at all… Edibles have always been my choice and are all ‘home-made’… I typically only revert to that choice when I cannot achieve relief through OTC options. They do work for me, but I always have to make sure that I’m not involved in any of my other hobbies such as gunsmithing and ammo building…

I am much better today, but no bass plying for the next few days since my wife and I are packing up the motorhome for a few days of travel to a couple different Georgia State parks to do some fall season hiking and to enjoy some of the colors (and cool weather) of the fall.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to do a feature on ammo building in the ‘off topic’ chat when you get back :wink:

Have a nice break :v:

3 Likes

Liked yr blog by the way. Very funny stories in there. :smile:

2 Likes

some 20 yr old industrial metal :

Marilyn Manson - Disposable Teens

I used the Yamaha SBV 500 this time, for a change. In the case of this song, I did not wanted the midrange punch of the P, I wanted a more “blurry” attack. The SBV with both pickups fully open works great for this purpose. Also I did a new setup on this bass yesterday, so, using the SBV for this cover has been a nice test ride for the setup. Works pretty well.

The more I play this Yam’, the more I love it.

9 Likes

Excellent, @terb! . . . .:star_struck:

Sounds great :metal:

2 Likes

It’s a truly great sounding bass! Probably has a lifetime warranty too.

2 Likes

don’t know … I didn’t had any problem with it yet and I’m not the original owner !

2 Likes

@terb That was spot on. You matched the tone of the song so closely it sounded like part of the original recording. Damn, that was some next level skills.

1 Like

damn … I just listened to the original track again, and you’re right, it’s pretty close :astonished: I’m very surprised because it was not at all a concious choice ! I did not try to match the original bass tone, and I even did not used specific amp settings for this song :astonished: + the original track is played on a Gibson Firebird bass, I believe, and certainly not a SBV :sweat_smile:

if it sounds like the album, what’s the fun in recording covers ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I guess the ultimate step would be to play air guitar over the untouched album track :rofl:

2 Likes

old school recording methods for the next cover : 100% analog, with a good’ol mic in front of an amp !

6 Likes

Been awhile since anyone posted to @terb’s thread, and since deer season has slowed down a bit here in Georgia, I figured it was time to dust off the recording gear and put together another cover… Thought that since one of my last ones was Pink Floyd’s “Money”, that this one should follow suite, and since the topic of the Beatles came up in another thread, “Taxman” would be a good choice…:grin:

Not the greatest, but then again, who can really compete with Paul McCartney when it comes to playing bass??..

TAXMAN - Cover Video

10 Likes

Nice ! not the easiest bassline to show us your new bass :grin: but you played it pretty well !

2 Likes

Very nice cover, @Lanny . . . :+1:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @terb. I think the hardest part of the song to play was the bridge. The entire piece has a ton of hammer on’s that I found I could only get to sound right by using round wound strings. Just couldn’t get the tone out of the half rounds that I normally play on my 304 Yamaha. A lot of McCartneys moves in this song do in incorporate his ability on the guitar - just using it on bass.

2 Likes

Thanks Joe!!

1 Like

Cool, @Lanny!

I don’t know whether it is the video, my internet connection or the camera/lighting you used, but your plucking fingers are just a “blur” during the faster passages - looks pretty impressive :joy:

Can I ask you a technique question, though? Hm, how to describe this best… it looks to me that your finger tips, after plucking a string, are “hovering” over the strings, ready for the next pluck!? Is that correct? You also seem to pluck quite lightly!?

Reason I am asking is that I seem to recall that Josh advocates the “plucking upwards through the string” technique (my words, not his), i.e., a movement upwards (towards your head) instead of outwards (away from the body) and where they deliberately come to rest on the string “above” (e.g., when you pluck notes on the D string, the fingers come to rest on the A string etc.). Did you always play like you do now, or did you try different approaches and then settled on the one you use now?

Really mainly curious… also a bit since I also play lightly, but found that in “real life situations” (i.e., a band), I really need to dig in much more and I don’t think it would be possible with the “hovering fingers”. Also, I think when the fingers come to rest on the next string, this helps with muting issues.

Thanks for posting a video (otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to ask stuff like that, and thus learn :grinning:)

2 Likes

@Lanny is obviously much faster than a camera :sunglasses:

sure, and you might want to know that guitar players all need to be experts in muting techniques :joy: because with a guitar (often used with at least an overdrive) you always get a ton of unwanted noises if you don’t mute evey unused string all the time.

3 Likes

Yeah, I bet, especially tricky when you play with a pick, I guess :rofl:

So, is @Lanny also a guitar player who wants to upgrade and become a bassist now?? :grin:

2 Likes