Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Every bassist in every studio ever when giving input on the mix to the sound engineer: “can you bring the bass up?”

4 Likes

Absolutely! That’s all I’m saying. This is a forum for bass students. So it makes sense to have the volume up.

2 Likes

More cow bell! Scratch the cow bell, MORE BASS!!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Les Claypool has a story about this and it’s part of why he started Primus. He was with a band at a studio. He and others in the band were telling the sound engineer to bring the bass up…AND THE GUY REFUSED TO! So he went where bass could be the big focus of a group.

4 Likes

Onto covers…not sure if this counts, it’s a cover of and an instructional video of how to play the Thump Whistle (My band) song Stop Sometimes. Just talking bass as sort of a lead instrument, this song has that. Here is the original.

Here is the cover/tutorial on it. It is really fun to play!

1 Like

Gillian Welch - Rock Of Ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyLUN7Ch2k

This original song has obviously no bass line, so I added mine in the spirit of what I have learned by playing some dark country for a few times now.

I’ve recorded this one pretty quickly. It’s primarily a test for my new DAI (Steinberg UR22C), it works like a charm and without any latency or noises issues, like I had with the UX1.

Greenie in EADG with the foam, straight into the Bass POD Pro and then into the UR22C.

15 Likes

This is almost not a cover! You wrote your own bassline to it. Cool stuff, nice and tasteful and it fits in with the song lifting it!

6 Likes

that’s what I always do with country stuff, more or less :grin:

5 Likes

Very nice @terb, nice tone and cool bassline. I enjoyed listening to it very much!

4 Likes

That was a top-notch bassline, @terb . . . went perfectly with the song, and had a really nice tone as well. :+1:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

This is one where the bridge foam is perfect!

Good even tone, sounded nice and yet dark, fitting the overall genre.

And I think this is a very interesting genre for you to have latched on to - kind of a piece of Americana that most Americans are ignorant of. I know I am :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I mostly am too, closest I’ve really been exposed to is Les Claypool’s Duo De Twang

3 Likes

indeed this has been my main subject of study since several months now … some bass players work on slap, others on speed, others on string crossing, others on finger alternating, others on music notation, others on Billie Jean, and me on (dark) country basslines :grin:

that’s really interesting, and at this point I could even consider that my next band could be a dark country minimal formation, like a duo or a trio. could be cool and almost complient with the fact that live concerts are forbidden now. an acoustic duo or trio could be small and mobile enough to fly under the radars.

6 Likes

Maybe not Dark Country, but definitely Americana and a duo. It’s an interesting style. Not to get off the covers (though this group does covers).

1 Like

this is a cover from Primus I believe ?

2 Likes

The original song is Primus, in the style of duo de twang

Here is a different one

They also do a Man in The Box and Stayin Alive cover in this style.

1 Like

Very nice Laurent, @terb, your bass line fitted in really nicely :sunglasses:
But no T-Shirt :thinking:
great job
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Other than your cover what are some examples of dark country you’d recommend?

2 Likes

this one is not really dark country, but I’ve made a few darker covers : Dark country | BASS COVERS ON THE COUCH

also we have a thread about this : Dark country / modern bluegrass

thanks Brian but I don’t know what is this obsession with band t-shirts ; I just wear my normal clothes … sometimes it’s a Slayer t-shirt but sometimes it’s just a jersey :grin:

anyway thank you all for your kind words ! very appreciated as always :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great job @howard! Awesome work on the production!

4 Likes