Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I couldn’t even hear the backing track, even with headphones. His bass playing seemed to be good, but it’s hard to tell how it aligns with the song if you can’t hear it.

5 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs ,
I could hear the backing track, I don’t know the song??
The volume just needs to be increased so the playing is replicating the bass line in the mix IMO.
The young fella can certainly play, :+1:
Old ears just can’t hear that good :joy::rofl::joy:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Great Playing,…… but…. I’m an old sub sailor…. We use to play a game called “Liars Poker”…. (And I was pretty good at it)…… Whenever we thought another player was laying crap on a little bit heavy, someone would call “Bullshit”……

No offense, but I’m calling “Bullshit” here……

This site is full of new players who have spent months trying to learn how to play bass - you my friend have just (in SIX MONTH) told them that they are not as good as they should be at a six month point in time….

Bullshit!
Lanny

7 Likes

Wowza. Closer to 6 years would have been my guess. You have impeccable relaxed technique and economy of movement.

7 Likes

I likee!

5 Likes

I am not so sure here @Lanny
Go back and watch all his YouTube Videos.
He has videos for over the last 3 months and albeit some amazing progression, the earlier ones sound like he has just started making covers.

He’s young, with a young spongy mind, and for all we know he is sitting in his room playing 14 hours a day.
Maybe he also has a good ear, and some musical inclination.
Maybe he played guitar prior.

From the other videos, seems he is recording on his phone or other device.
Not everyone has a PC/DAI/DAW, etc to get great mixes.

I think a little benefit of the doubt is in order for someone just joining the forum.

@Eduardo, why don’t you head over to the Introduce Yourself Thread and tell us all a little about you.

10 Likes

@Lanny I think he gets his powers from his moustache!!

4 Likes

Well done! I still don’t have the endurance to go all the way through the whole song :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Or he could have a guitar background, yeah.

Regardless, well, done, better than I can play it and I have practiced it a lot.

5 Likes

No offense @John_E , but I don’t “listen” to covers as much as I “look” at how they play…. The playing style here is very reformed…. He’s using a style that takes a bit of time to master… @PamPurrs knows what I’m referring to because it’s the style she uses…… There are other things that come to mind, but even though a person may be young and have all the time in the world to practice, six months is (IMHO)……. Bullshit…. However, if it is in fact six months,…… then he’s a protege which could be the case…. My point here is that this site is full of new learners who after six months have had trouble even trying to hammer out the riffs to Billie Jean let alone all of a sudden show up here and post a cover at this level of play…. All power to him. Great playing and great style and all…. But, I think back to people like @JDDaniel who started out here and listened, watched, and cheered him on to grow better over time (months)……

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Yes!! That’s got to be it!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

7 Likes

It’s definitely there - singing and all. His bass overpowers it, but, it’s a bass cover - I’m good with the bass being the highlight…

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely there.

4 Likes

I guess that’s okay if you just want to hear a bass solo. I prefer to hear the bass in context with the song, but in this case only heard the bass.

2 Likes

But it’s not a solo, because it’s accompanied. And the point of the cover is the bass - it’s the part we’re all interested in… So many songs are mixed to where you can hardly hear the bass - not much point in posting a cover that matches that. But hey, different strokes for different folks…

4 Likes

I’m telling you, I don’t hear the accompanying song. If I did, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I’m okay with the bass being a bit over saturated, but I still want to hear it in context. In this case all I hear is bass.

1 Like

I believe you, but it is there.

3 Likes

Yeah I can hear it for sure. Low but there.

2 Likes

I agree generally, but this is a song where the bass has it’s own riff, and drives the groove so much that you’d still hear it even if the drums and guitar were overbearingly loud. For this cover the bass playing was superb, but the backing track could have been a lot louder.

This guy has the right idea, IMO:

4 Likes

I know everyone here has a different opinion than me (on a lot of things), but my feeling is, when you do a cover it should sound like you are the bassist for the song. Yes, crank up the bass a bit, but you should still blend in with the song.
I don’t agree with this idea that you should just hear the bass and barely hear the song that goes with it.
I’m getting disagreements on just about everything I say lately, so I expect no different on this comment.
I’m done.

6 Likes