Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@Lanny I think he gets his powers from his moustache!!

4 Likes

Well done! I still donā€™t have the endurance to go all the way through the whole song :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Or he could have a guitar background, yeah.

Regardless, well, done, better than I can play it and I have practiced it a lot.

5 Likes

No offense @John_E , but I donā€™t ā€œlistenā€ to covers as much as I ā€œlookā€ at how they playā€¦. The playing style here is very reformedā€¦. Heā€™s using a style that takes a bit of time to masterā€¦ @PamPurrs knows what Iā€™m referring to because itā€™s the style she usesā€¦ā€¦ There are other things that come to mind, but even though a person may be young and have all the time in the world to practice, six months is (IMHO)ā€¦ā€¦. Bullshitā€¦. However, if it is in fact six months,ā€¦ā€¦ then heā€™s a protege which could be the caseā€¦. My point here is that this site is full of new learners who after six months have had trouble even trying to hammer out the riffs to Billie Jean let alone all of a sudden show up here and post a cover at this level of playā€¦. All power to him. Great playing and great style and allā€¦. But, I think back to people like @JDDaniel who started out here and listened, watched, and cheered him on to grow better over time (months)ā€¦ā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

6 Likes

Yes!! Thatā€™s got to be it!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

7 Likes

Itā€™s definitely there - singing and all. His bass overpowers it, but, itā€™s a bass cover - Iā€™m good with the bass being the highlightā€¦

6 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s definitely there.

4 Likes

I guess thatā€™s okay if you just want to hear a bass solo. I prefer to hear the bass in context with the song, but in this case only heard the bass.

2 Likes

But itā€™s not a solo, because itā€™s accompanied. And the point of the cover is the bass - itā€™s the part weā€™re all interested inā€¦ So many songs are mixed to where you can hardly hear the bass - not much point in posting a cover that matches that. But hey, different strokes for different folksā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m telling you, I donā€™t hear the accompanying song. If I did, we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation. Iā€™m okay with the bass being a bit over saturated, but I still want to hear it in context. In this case all I hear is bass.

1 Like

I believe you, but it is there.

3 Likes

Yeah I can hear it for sure. Low but there.

2 Likes

I agree generally, but this is a song where the bass has itā€™s own riff, and drives the groove so much that youā€™d still hear it even if the drums and guitar were overbearingly loud. For this cover the bass playing was superb, but the backing track could have been a lot louder.

This guy has the right idea, IMO:

4 Likes

I know everyone here has a different opinion than me (on a lot of things), but my feeling is, when you do a cover it should sound like you are the bassist for the song. Yes, crank up the bass a bit, but you should still blend in with the song.
I donā€™t agree with this idea that you should just hear the bass and barely hear the song that goes with it.
Iā€™m getting disagreements on just about everything I say lately, so I expect no different on this comment.
Iā€™m done.

6 Likes

I disagree with you on this one :rofl: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

That was great. You played it excellently, and the mix was really good. The bass was a little louder then the song, but that is ok for our purposes here, because we are showcasing our skills, which you seem to have naturally.
I canā€™t wait to see what comes when you reach a year playing.
Do you play any Slap bass?

Ummmā€¦
I wouldnā€™t go that far at all.
I picked up the riff to this song pretty easily, and was playing it within the first 6 months of playing.

For sure.

To each their own, no arguments, or trying to change anyoneā€™s opinion, but if I had focused on just learning a few songs and covering them, and not caring about Theory, learning Scales, Chord tones, Slap, Sight Reading, etcā€¦
Just focused on covers, and only covers, I am sure I could play songs harder than I do now.

I never learned the rest of the song, or tried to play it all the way thru, as I never really cared to, and I was just probably 4 months into playing when I was introduced to the line, and Joshā€™s videos.
I did have a guitar background, granted, but it had been collecting dust on the shelf for a good 20 plus years.

Yeah, it is a place to showcase our bass. Anybody can play how they want in the mix, and in real world, this would be too much, BUT, I like that I CAN hear the bass very well, clear and defined, and donā€™t have to struggle to tell if it is being played, or if it is still bass from the original song.

I am not disputing the job of the bass at all, and how it should sit in the mix, but there are exceptions, and this is one of those.
In fact there is a YT video about times that BASS was TURNED UP in the mix because it was the driving force of the song, and I believe this song was number 1 out of 10
So for that, and his posting here to show his bass playing, I think it fits well.

Saturation and volume are a bit different.
If you know the song, it fits.
Its ok that you donā€™t know the song, I didnā€™t until I got here and others pointed it out to me. I still probably have never listened to the whole song all the way thru, but it fits.
Also, the bass is quite distorted in the real song also.
it could be a tricky one to get the bass line REMOVED from the song, so this is another reason to play on top of the song.

I follow this opinion. I WANT to hear everybodyā€™s basslines.
If I were listening to the regular song, then I can hear the normal mix, but I want to be able to hear the bass played by members, so we can help diagnose places for improvement, AND to cheer them on when they do well.
This is a reason I have asked for you to turn your basslines up.
True, they sit very well in the mix,
BUT
1 - I donā€™t know many of your songs well enough, to know the bass line in my head
2 - I canā€™t hear the bass in your covers, and I really want to hear YOU playing, that is what I sign up hoping for. I get great productions, great videos, and great songs, but it is too hard for me to distinguish your playing from the song.
This is a compliment in your playing, however it is not the point of this thread.

If we were a home recording forum, and everybody was showcasing their mixes, and how well everything sits within them, then yeah, spot on, get all levels correct.
When we are watching on this thread, we (or I at least) want to hear members playing basslines to cover songs.

If I saw you playing live, at a club, sure, sit in the mix, but when posting here, and IF ONLY HERE, then only here, but post so we hear the bass standing a little on top of the mix.

But not saturated. :wink:
Saturation is a bit more then just volume, it is unwanted distortion to a point, so it is both the bass too loud, and its clipping at because of it.
This is where you need to turn down the gain a little, usually, IME.

Say no more

3 Likes

Please donā€™t change Pam.
You are great.
Just when a fire gets stoked, flames appear.

6 Likes

@PamPurrs i think itā€™s because heā€™s using flat wounds. :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Itā€™s not bullshit, I remember myself at his age and I could learn songs and techniques really fast so this doesnā€™t come as a surprise. Hysteria is not hard song at all, except for choruses itā€™s just one string chugging so itā€™s a matter of endurance, work on it for a month and youā€™ll have no problems playing this song.

Everyone progresses at their own pace, if I compare my own (6 months playing) to some people here that have been playing for longer, I can honestly say Iā€™m light years ahead.

6 Likes

agreed

Thatā€™s understating it a bit - itā€™s a very fast tempo to keep up, and thereā€™s a tricky bit transitioning from the E back up to the A string that is easy to flub.

But yes, itā€™s more chugging speed and endurance than anything.

4 Likes