Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Some people are really good at repetition over and over and over and over and over.
I think we generally call them drummers.
I suck at it, (I’m a drifter Dottie, a loner) (top prize if you know what that’s from) which is why drums are alien to me.

Repetitive riffs like this are easier for those inclined.
18 year olds have lots more endurance than many of us quality aged folks.

8 Likes

@John_E and a rebel. Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

6 Likes

I figured it out… I went online and listened to the original Hysteria by Muse and realized the first 15 seconds or so is all bass. That’s why I said I couldn’t hear the backing track, because it hadn’t started yet, and I bailed too soon.
Now that I’ve listened to it further in, I can faintly hear the backing track. I still maintain my position that the volume of the backing track should have been increased so we could hear his bass playing in context with the song, but many of you disagree with me on that point. To me, it sounds like he’s demoing a bass at Guitar Center rather than doing a cover.
@Eduardo did a very nice job with the fingering etc., and I can see he has the makings of an excellent bass player.

9 Likes

Oh I agree with you @PamPurrs, it’s just that @Eduardo is an 18 yr old college student and might not have the bit of kit to make it much better.

8 Likes

I hear ya, I’m just making an observation. I give the kid a lot of credit for even doing what he did.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree, I have progressed rather quickly.
I don’t know for sure weather it is because I played Guitar before or not, but it is the initial learning curve, of fretting and plucking picking, after that, it progresses at a steady rate, but that is the part that keeps you back, and once you get past that, you can play things pretty well.
If that is the part i skipped, coming from playing guitar 25 years earlier, and it put me 6 month to a year ahead, OK, thats fine,
But
I have seen people not be able to showboard after 4 or 5 trips up the mountain, and I have been with people that are hanging with me by the middle part of their first day.
I have seen people struggle to stand up on a surfboard for months and months, and I have seen people pop up on their first wave. That is shocking, but it happens.

Thats what I want to see here.
I can listen to the original song anytime I like. Here, I want to see (hear) Bass Buzzers standing out in the mix, and listen to their technique, and how well they play it, and to the human errors, that in this day and age are often taken out of songs with software.
I know some don’t agree, but I think for the sake of THIS thread, and the reasons we are posting them here, it could be excused or overlooked.

Just going back to my point, we are not a novice sound engineering forum, but a bass playing forum, and that is what we want to stand out, not how well a person can mix a song together.
Some recording tips are great, like how to not saturate the bass (not volume, but presence) and how to tie audio to video, but even then, it is for another thread, here is for the cover with bass standing out of the mix.

8 Likes

Well said, @T_dub.

At risk of stating the obvious - my opinion is that I think people should post what kinds of covers they want to post, and and if they want, people should provide constructive feedback to them about ways to improve.

Example of constructive feedback: “It seems like you were rushing a little in the intro.” This gives them direct, actionable advice they can look in to.

Personal opinions on genre, song choice, or it just not being the style of cover you prefer - these are not helpful. This is their work, not yours. They are not you.

And regarding calling people out because they are progressing at a different level than you would expect - I don’t feel good about that at all. Not a good look. Not a very welcoming message for forum newcomers at all. And an even worse message for those of us that have been around for a while - WTF are we supposed to do, hold ourselves to some idealized learning rate and not post things that we are proud of? Or just go away?

People progress at different rates. If that hurts anyone’s feelings, it’s better they come to terms with that sooner rather than later.

16 Likes

Good points @howard.

4 Likes

Yeah, this thread is to learn, to have fun and to get tips, and even showcase your talents. I don’t think it should be for much else.
Not calling anybody out in particular, but moving forward, that is exactly how things should be.

5 Likes

And how would you even know how well they played it if you can’t hear the backing track? You can’t tell how well they compliment the song, or if they’re in the right key, or making the chord changes properly or if they’re in the groove or not.
I’m sorry Toby @T_dub but I heartily disagree. These covers are to showcase bass playing skills as they relate to actual music, not just how well you can chug a bunch of 1/16 notes. I think if you listen to the majority of the covers that have been posted in this thread, you’ll find your opinion is the minority.

4 Likes

For you.

Others may wish to post different kinds of covers. Like, without backing tracks at all. Or a completely different interpretation than the original. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

7 Likes

Maybe not, but there’s nothing wrong with including the original song as a backing track either.

Personally, I wouldn’t listen/watch a 4 minute bass performance if I couldn’t enjoy the music that goes with it. That’s why I try to make mine a bit entertaining.

4 Likes

Thats OK, I can live with that.

6 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Really?

Ok, only two minutes for that one. Not my usual cup of tea, but if someone else here did cover that, I would abso-fucking-lutely listen.

5 Likes

The backing track is too loud for me :wink:

3 Likes

yeah intolerable! Up there with Cage.

3 Likes

you say that like people aren’t doing that. The backing track is there. Yes, I know, you want it louder, but it’s there and you can certainly follow along and tell how their timing is, how their chord changes are, etc.

5 Likes

I’m not saying people aren’t doing that; you’re misreading my point. Other people are saying the backing track isn’t necessary when recording a cover, and I’m saying it is. Without the backing track, or if the backing track is barely audible, it’s impossible to evaluate the total quality of the bass playing. That’s all I’m saying.

2 Likes

Now I never ever said that it was not necessary (although, if a person wants to play a Bass only cover, I am not opposed to it). I am stating it is OK to play ON TOP of it, and make the bass stand out of the mix.

3 Likes