Post your covers! (2019-2022)

OK - I mis-understood. You’re just speaking in general… My bad.

4 Likes

Let’s all stop arguing about it and re-open this thread to Post your Covers. I have one in the works that I’ll be posting in about a week, and it will be my usual attempt at entertaining while demonstrating my bass playing.
Rock on Buzzers!

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see / hear it.

5 Likes

Hey, I did a cover (of sorts) once :grin:

More to the point:

This is a really important discussion. When is a cover “legit”? Only if it is as close to the original as possible? Which version IS the original? Can you take artistic liberties when recording a cover? Can you take liberties based on your (current) skill level? Can you stay true to the spirit of the song without exactly playing what Joe (or Jane) Shmoe played during the June 1962 recording of the song?

Now, there is a lot of benefit learning to play a song exactly like Joe Shmoe, but there is potentially as much benefit trying to understand why what he plays works and coming up with other ways to play along that work as well.

It is perhaps one of the main reasons I like jazz so much - the freedom to re-interpret stuff that has been played for more than fifty years and still find new ways to approach it.

8 Likes

That is very, very nice. Well done and sorry I missed it first time around.

7 Likes

+1!

7 Likes

Thanks and don’t worry - it was a joke from the olden days of BassBuzz :wink:

6 Likes

Very nice @joergkutter , love the harmonics,
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

As @TNKA36 said you nailed the harmonics. I still can’t do that :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Thanks, @Mac, thanks Brian @TNKA36 - it wasn’t anything new… I just thought I’d bring it up as @howard mentioned Jaco’s original :grinning: You guys are too kind :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That was very nice, and quite interesting bass line @joergkutter. When did you originally post that? Sorry I missed it.

As to your comment, I agree the bass in our covers don’t have to be a replica of the original bassist (heaven knows, none of mine are even close). The main thing is to be in the correct key, and the right chord progression, and correct tempo.
The point I was trying to make is that without context, it’s hard to evaluate the player because we can’t tell if it’s in the groove or not, or correct timing, tone, etc. However, I support however each person chooses to do their covers.
I do enjoy listening to peoples’ covers with the original song as a backing track. :smiley_cat:

6 Likes

Not at all… it was really way back when… I think around Christmas 2019/New Year 2020 :wink: And I was just goofing off really…

I would generally agree, but it still depends on the criteria anyone sets up for that evaluation - different people might have different criteria they find important.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some thoughts to that discussion.

I know you and others put a lot of effort and work into covers (and the production, background story etc), and that is awesome, and I respect and appreciate that! I have been slacking here for a long time, but I also have a lot of excuses LOL (not enough time, no go-to workflow for the production, can’t play the songs I want to play, and so on…)

6 Likes

Does that mean you will fix your transcription of People Are Strange?

6 Likes

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Greetings Denizens of the Low Frequency World!
I didn’t expect to be posting a cover here for a while. I wanted to concentrate on my Talking Bass lessons while on this work trip but the internet service here in the hotel is so bad that I can’t stream a lesson (or any video) without an interruption every few seconds. So here is a Karaoke favorite of mine. I hope you all enjoy it. Comments and criticisms are welcomed.
For those starting out with covers:
DAW - Reaper
DAI - Zoom B3 using SVT amp sim & Room reverb effect
Photo Booth - Video camera
iMovie - Video editor
MacBook Pro Laptop

14 Likes

Nice bass cover @JerryP. This is a great song I enjoyed listening to it. Could have used a tiny bit more volume on the bass, but overall it was quite good.
I left a comment on Vimeo as well.

4 Likes

Thank you Pam. I replied to you on Vimeo as well.

5 Likes

I’m amazed that you tote all that gear with you on your business trips. Impressive!

6 Likes

Great job as always @JerryP.

What bass is that?

Man that song brings back memories of scream/singing that song in the car with a bunch of folks.

7 Likes