Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks @JerryP! Mine too, and I do want to eventually do more covers on some of their other old songs. I love so much of the music from that era, and being just on the south side of 70, those old songs whether they be Souther Rock, R&B, Blues, etc, many of those old songs have some sort of meaning to me and help to keep my memory cells alive…

1 Like

Thanks @Jazzbass19 Joe. Crankin’ 'em out fast :grinning::grinning:… Typically this time of year I would be out on the property clearing brush and trees instead of making covers…

2 Likes

certainly my favorite CCR song ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

BTW, “Down on the Corner” by CCR is in the “First 50 Songs” book you get with the course. Lots of other awesome songs too.

3 Likes

@terb: maybe with so many new people recently (and also for my own benefit :grin:), maybe it would be a good idea to post a quick refresher on how to best prepare a track for a cover (i.e., some tricks and advice on how to best “remove” the original bass track)!? I am sure between you and @Lanny, there is a lot of experience to be shared and hopefully, you also cover the most often used computer operating systems and recording software!?!

Thanks!

4 Likes

the full thread about the bass track removal is here : "remove" the bass line from a track

if you’re searching for the right frequency to cut, I’d say 200 to 250 Hz is often a good starting point. but as different tracks have different tones and mixes, you’ll have to try and adjust a bit for each track.

as an example, here are my settings for the cover I’m currently working on :

I don’t think there’s much more to do than this EQing to prepare a track for a cover !

5 Likes

@joergkutter - I’m currently in the process of putting something together for one of my grandsons who’s currently trying to learn guitar and I have him convinced that he needs to record himself as part of the learning process. For now, I’m just recording small video clips of what equipment/cables/applications I use and how I use them in my covers so he can get an idea as to how it’s all done. Since he’s in college and also works, he doesn’t have much free time to practice, so I try to keep the clips short and sweet… Maybe they would work here on the forum?? Maybe we need a dedicated thread specifically for how to record yourself which would include all aspects including EQ settings that @terb has pretty much already explained??

3 Likes

Sounds like a great idea to me, @Lanny - especially since you are already making these videos in any case… but also because you seem to have amassed a lot of experience in that direction already!

3 Likes

I’ll try to do what I can. The video files that I have amassed for my grandson are pretty large and I’m not sure they’ll load and download easily. I may try to put together small step by step Word Documents or Power Point Presentations with screen shots that can be downloaded from my website. I try to limit uploaded files to my website to under about 65mb each. Any more than that will take more time to download - not to mention that I work with no internet, just a hotspot from my iPhone… Hey, I live out in the ‘Boonies’… No internet, no phone, sketchy electricity (sometimes I run my generator)…

3 Likes

Love your covers Lanny!! Glad to see Im not the only that rocks “to and fro” when they play… I just cant help it when the groove stirkes me…I GOTTA MOVE BABY!

3 Likes

Stand By Me by: Ben E. King…

This 1961 hit was written by Ben E. King and was originally written for the “Drifters” who turned down the offer to record the piece. As such, the song was recorded using studio musicians. The bass line was originally done by Lloyd Nelson Trotman who played the piece on his double bass as one of the recording studio musicians.

In an effort to try and replicate the double bass tone, I used my 174 Yamaha passive with a Babitz bridge and 105-45 nickel roundwounds and sponge under the strings at the bridge end. I removed frequencies of the original version in the 100hz - 210hz ranges with most being dropped at the 100hz range.

The song originally went to #1 on the R&B charts and was a Top 10 hit twice on the US charts. The song was used in the 1986 film “Stand By Me” staring River Phoenix and Will Wheaton. Many people have covered the song including John Lennon and Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali).

The song uses a version of the “Common Cord Progression” now called the “50’s Progression” used in Western pop music. The progression is: I-vi-IV-V and was particularly associated with 1950’s and 1960’s “Doo-Wop”.

10 Likes

@Lanny You are truly a fortunate man to have that lifetime of memories you and your wife have shared. To be surrounded by family in that last picture is priceless.

Man, you’re pumping these out faster than I can keep up. These last two videos were great and I really like reading all the details about your setup for playing the song and the history behind it. Thanks for that.

3 Likes

Awesome job Lanny. That song brings back a lot of memories for me. Sang it when I was 12 in drama class and combined with the movie it is embedded in my brain as part of growing up.

Looks like you two got a jump on Valentine’s Day early! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That was great! I really enjoyed it.
I’m practicing a song that I want to post, but I fear that my playing and production may not be as polished as those I’ve seen here.
Anyway, great job @Lanny!

3 Likes

that’s not a problem at all :smile: there is no level requirement here, and recording/posting a cover is most certainly the best way for you to get better and have some constructive (and positive) criticism ! just do it ! :grin:

2 Likes

Very nice, @Lanny - great allround production!! :smile:

I am so busy right now, I am lucky to pick up the bass for some noodling… all the while I am owing a cover to @terb :grimacing:

2 Likes

Great cover and video as usual, @Lanny . . . :+1:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be working on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser! To me, learning to play the song is only a part of the fun… Learning the background stories is another part… Using it all in a way that only makes for more memories is by far the best fun of it all…

Actually, this particular project started out as a Sunday morning ‘Challenge’… Knowing that homemade Arancini is one of my favorite meals, Connie told me that she’d only make it if I were to record (audio, not video) the bass line to that song and have it ready to listen to over dinner… You’ll notice that there are a few mistakes in the recording and that’s because after learning the song and practicing it several times, I only had enough time to do one take to record it. Needless to say, the arancini was great!

3 Likes

Thanks @JT! That song is one that will always live on!! Timeless… I believe it’s one of those songs that brings back memories for many of us… As for Valentines day,… after being together for 45 years, every day is ‘Valentines Day’… Yea, I know it sounds a bit epicene, but I’ve never known anyone to call me that to my face…:rofl::joy:

2 Likes