Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I agree about that, @Ed, that’s a common difficulty with the alt-country stuff I like because the bands almost never have a drummer

3 Likes

Thanks! I apprentice that :3. Oh?…well my E string is kinda wearing?…the black…paint?…cover?…whatever you’d call it, is coming off…cause I been playing ‘slot’s for practicing…mainly that song XD. If it is I don’t know how to tune her myself…the last time I went to the shop I bought her from used a electric tuner?…

3 Likes

Hey well done that’s a solid first cover! Remember confidence is 90% :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

Here’s a rough attempt at the My Generation solo with the Hofner. I was trying the Entwistle three finger technique but it definitely needs more practice. Hopefully I’ll be able to bash though “Run to the hills” soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Bravo @cobaltblue13 !
This is the best way to learn is to record yourself and watch.
You have very good hand position, nicely done on the technique.

I “think” you are in tune, and you are fretting correctly, I just think the sound is hard to hear a bit, but I would check your tuning. I think you said you are using a guitar amp, yes? This might also make you sound a bit odd. Old strings only sound dull, not out of tune. Your intonation might be off (setup) as it does sound a bit more out of tune as you go up the fretboard.
It’s a bit hard to hear but that is ok for now. Timing is a bit off and you get behind which makes you sound out of tune as well.

My best advise is what Frankie Says…RELAX, you can (and did) do this.
I didn’t record my first cover for over a year after playing!

This is a great tune to use for practicing timing. You can use a metronome or drum machine app and slow down the beat and play slowly over and over until you are in perfect sync with the beat, then speed it up 2pbm, repeat, and continue until you are up to the song’s speed. Playing in time is key to bass, more than playing the right notes.

Net/net, you did it! Well done, and now the journey is to constantly improve.
Keep on chuggin’.

4 Likes

Super cool tone @Ed

btw, you can post stuff like this here…
Post your practice fragments!

4 Likes

Ooo - didn’t know about that. They should sticky it to the front page.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks!…I did have another small bit of a practice of this song and another I was gonna practice, but this was like a way to kinda do it and see, improve on, why I wanted to post it in the first place to see what you guys thought :3. I actually got me a Bass amp!…I just never posted it, or updated my one post, whoops!.

I was trying to focus on the notes…and the rhythm more than anything…im having trouble with the timing :/. I don’t understand?…how to use a metronome…or anything like that. Or even listen to the drum and follow that?…some songs I ‘can’ hear it the rest?…eh not really :/.

Yea I was kinda nervous XD. I didn’t warm up much and did only one other run through before this one…I wanted to get it recorded before I started my practice run I do daily. I actually did this one slow to start, it sounds so weird!…but thanks I’ll keep trying and keep this song in my practice set, I also been attempting ‘pour some sugar on me’ by Def Leppard…so not ready to really dive into that yet lol.

3 Likes

It was still cool though! =3. I can’t navigate the forum well either…lol…I’m still new

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to figure out if I can get shortcuts set up so I’ll remember to use the practice fragment thread lol

1 Like

I know right?…I couldn’t even find this one XD. It was such a pain to even get YouTube to work…and when I got the link, I was like; ‘…shoot, we’re did that thread go?” Lol

2 Likes

There are a lot of ‘extra’ hobbies with learning bass :rofl:
YouTube takes some time, as does audio/video/etc.
Just take it slow, its a life-long journey.

4 Likes

Oh this is it. 30 years ago you just dug a Metallica songbook out and slogged through the tab, maybe did some bass lessons. These days you have to record, produce, film your videos, promote them… Man oh man kids have it tough these days…

2 Likes

Exactly.
All this stuff to make everything easier makes things more complex.
Growing up no kid ever had anything remotely close to studio access, now its on your phone, with video as well. “Oh cool, I can do that now…but I have to learn WHAT?”.

2 Likes

You’re doing fine! The important part was getting it done and putting it out there.

What I would recommend is just practicing with some isolated drum tracks. If you don’t have any apps or drum machines otherwise, you can use youtube channels like this one:

3 Likes

When I was a kid, we had to WALK to school, uphill, in the snow . . . :frowning:

5 Likes

Lol yea, thanks, I try and practice atleast daily to get stuff down, what I got anyway. I see…I usually look up Basslines on YouTube, to get a feel for things. I’ll check it out…but what do I do with it?..play along side?..or?. Sorry! XD;

3 Likes

…I feel that…lol

2 Likes

Yep! To work on timing, just play along with it. I would recommend picking a key and just starting with the root note of the key, and play that on the kick drum beats. Just do that for a while to start.

Then when you have that down with good timing, pick another note in the scale, like maybe the fifth, and play that too, say on the beats with the snare but not the kick.

Just start with simple basslines like that that follow the beat.

Quick question, are you taking the course? Josh spends a lot of time on this kind of thing in the course.

3 Likes

Snow?!

You were lucky……….:wink:

7 Likes