Post your covers! (2019-2022)

You are, of course, right @Vik :smile: Two things, though: a) I haven’t recorded what I came up with yet (it’s not an audition tape - I hope to jam with them in person), and b) I would need the OK from these guys to post their compositions…

Didn’t mean to be a tease - was on a high perhaps that I could spend some serious time today on music :wink:

5 Likes

yeah it would be cool to share those tracks :slight_smile: if the guys from the band are ok of course

2 Likes

Damn @terb!! You KICK bASS Dude!!

Thump On!
Lanny

2 Likes

thank you @Lanny :grin:

2 Likes

As we say in Anglais “That’s my cup of tea…” :grinning:

3 Likes

Hey fellow bassbuzzians ! here is my new cover, of an old song from the well-known Highway To Hell album. Back in the early 90’s, AC/DC has been the band that made me fall in love with music, so I have some particular attachement to this band.

Of course the video has been flagged in 1 second by Youtube but I believe I managed to find another way to share it. Not sure at all it will work with every computer/browser, please let me know ! Here it is :

AC/DC - Shot Down In Flames

One take, pure rock’n’roll style :slight_smile: (even if it’s not perfect)

I think this bassline is very interesting for those who would like to learn and practice pick playing :

• It’s a pretty typical rock bass line, pure punchy chugging on 8th notes, no tricky or weird part
  • It’s relatively fast for all-downstroke playing (which is the way Cliff Williams plays, and the way I played my cover) but nothing extreme, probably a good exercise
  • It’s not fast at all for down-up playing, good exercise to learn and get familiar with this technique, very unique to pick playing
  • The bassline is very simple, but leaves a lot of room for variations and all kind of personnal flavor

In its easiest version, the bassline can be summarized by those two patterns :

G-------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------
A-------------------5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---
E---5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-------------------

and

G-----------------------------
D-----------------------------
A---------------5-5-3-3-3-3---
E---5-5-3-3-3-3---------------

Also if you’re interested, you might want to know that the album track’s pitch is a bit of, because of the 70’s recording methods, so I had to correct the pitch to make the song playable with standard tuning. If somebody would like to record a cover of this song (and of course in this case I would love to ear it :grin: ), I realeased the backing track with this correction and the bass “removed” (or at least lowered as much as possible) ; you can download it here :

http://laurentberta.com/client/cover-basse/ACDC-ShotDownInFlames-bt-320.zip

:metal:

12 Likes

Excellent, @terb :slight_smile:

One of my all-time favorites as well :metal:

2 Likes

Good stuff, @terb! So, when you are joining (or starting) a cover band?? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

believe it or not but I don’t like at all cover bands :grin: I might do this if it’s a way to make money by playing music (because why not, after all - I have one good friend who do this for a living, that’s not the worst job !) but that’s not what I really want to do when playing with people.

About all my little covers, what I like is that it doesn’t take much time, it’s a fun and easy way to relax after a working day. Also it’s a way to practice the instrument by constantly changing from one song to another. and also it’s a way to practice recording and studio stuff, which I love.

But when I’ll decide to join/start a band again, we will have to do original songs for sure.

7 Likes

Nice! Also how did you embed the audio player here? Or is that just a link to your site?

2 Likes

yes it’s just an external link to an mp3 file, the forum embeds the player by itself. exact same thing for the video with an mp4 file !

3 Likes

Cool. That’s much nicer than soundcloud.

5 Likes

yeah I agree

2 Likes

Nice job again on the cover. I also like your T-shirts that you wear in your videos, just like Josh, you have a good collection of musician shirts! That Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction album cover shirt on the last one was my favorite. Good album.

5 Likes

Pretty much agree with all of what you said, @terb!

PS: will post something tomorrow about my first playing experience with some guys I met online (“not like that”) and had to almost sight-read their original music :flushed: Lots of fun, though!

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing this one. :grinning:

3 Likes

My first recording (new DAI toy). Not really a cover, just me knocking out a few bars of a lesson with a different drumbeat (because I haven’t figured out Garageband yet). Do we have a more appropriate thread for this sort of thing?

Be kind; it’s the first publicly shared piece of my playing.

12 Likes

Nice!

3 Likes

Nice sound & the recording is working! This is probably the best thread to share it, I think it counts as a cover. Look forward to hearing more recordings, from you, and others - please post them, even if it’s just a portion of a song, or, just a playalong from the lessons!

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I do love that song and my flat wound strings give a warm tone that I like. I play with just the neck pickup but also tried plucking at the bottom of the fretboard on another play through and the sound was even nicer.

3 Likes