Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Fabulous @Growl, I’m a huge Donny Benét fan. Questions if I may.

What did you use to remove the bass from the original track for you to overdub, because the original mix is so bass forward?

What your setup (pedals / sims etc)

Top top stuff, I love this song. It’s a regular on the job site.

5 Likes

Great cover @Growl!! Love the tone! Spot on!!

5 Likes

Great cover @Growl ! Everything was spot on. Take @John_E 's advice; go out a find a band.
:+1:

4 Likes

Great playing overall but I’m most impressed with how expressive you were. Nice work with the slides, octaves and syncopation.

5 Likes

Aight, I write it down in video description, but its same as last time. My favorite sound always comes from 2x10 cab and GK amp sim.

I use Amplitube 5, GK MB 150 amp sim, 2x 2x10 SXT 500 cabs (I guess thats SVT), Fender compressor, default mics, and small studio room.

For removal of any layer of song I use Lalal.ai. Its magic how well it decides what to remove. For 15$ you get 90 mins of tracks to edit. I highly recommend it.

@John_E @Mac @Lanny @JerryP @howard
Thank you fellas I appreciate it.
Most of the time I doubt my own abilities, its good to hear any feedback.

Regarding a band, if you guys remember I had one, we mostly played for ourselves, but it fell apart mostly cause of guitarist, he wouldnt bother practicing.
Recently I got called for possible spot in bluesy band, and they are serious, playing in our local club, but Im not so sure Ill have enough time to catch up with their playlist and gig actively.
Also you can figure out from my covers so far what kind of music Im into.

If sometimes I find guys with similar taste I believe Ill find time for band. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Jacques Dutronc - La Fille Du Père Noël

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3dh0oxsGM

This is a very well known french song, released in 1966, it sounds very “parisian” but is kinda different than typical french music at the time. I’ve always found this song quite funny, it’s the story of bogeyman’s son trying (unsuccessfully) to date Santa’s daugther. That’s the closest cover that I can do about somewhat a christmas song.

The bass line is very simple, yet pretty satisfying and pleasant to play.

Yamaha SBV (obviously chosen for its christmas color scheme), Bass POD Pro.

16 Likes

Great cover @terb…. I know you’re not into Christmas music, but did enjoy listening…. Not to mention the red so k hat…:grin::grin:

Sometimes it’s those very simple bass lines that are the best to listen to and enjoy. The SBV was a great choice not only for it’s color scheme, but also for the tone which appeared to accentuate the simplicity of the bass line…

5 Likes

oh sure … thanks for your comment my dear friend @Lanny :grin:

5 Likes

I could post this on the 50 songs thread, but it is not exactly in the spirit of that.

5 Likes

Very nice and great to see the SBV come out again! Cool song, and I see what you mean, feels right out of a movie set in Paris.

I found the lyrics, they are really really funny. Great choice for a Christmas song :rofl:

SBV’s tone is fantastic as always. Man, Yamaha really put stellar pickups in these.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! You know you’re officially a pro when there’s a wind machine (what I am calling the rock and roll version of a “fan” :rofl: )

Your bassline is more driving than I remember the original being - could just be the way you’re playing it but it works very well there. Did you add a little syncopation or lead notes? I really liked it.

1 Like

We bought blowers for a gig that was going to be very hot. We take them with us all the time now since it makes our hair blow. Looks awesome. I play by instinct for the most part. The Bongo hits very, very hard. People usually are more impressed by the Rickenbacker because they hear with their eyes, but the Music Man almost makes the Rick look like a toy.

4 Likes

Bongo is one of my favorite basses for looks, definitely my favorite MusicMan. I really wish they made a Sterling or a SubBongo. They just look cool.

1 Like

Very well done Laurent!
:+1:

4 Likes

This is great @terb !
Such great tone and a cool tune.
Sure wish I remembered more of my 4 damn years of French in high school (hell, I sure wish I remembered a lot of high school in general).

You make me want an SBV!
Beautiful

5 Likes

DO IT

seriously they are wonderful instruments.

The timing sucks here but Toby actually had a nice looking 550 up for sale…

2 Likes

actually, to me, a SBV 500 is like a Jazz Bass but “everything is better”. Better look, better balance, better neck, better pickups. a SBV seriously competes with MIA Fender, quality-wise, which is not bad at all.

(sorry @howard but a SBV is better than a MIJ Fender in my opinion, it’s more in the MIA range)

3 Likes

Not going to argue, it’s a great bass. Love mine. That said I’m pretty impressed with my Fujigen-made Fender too, after putting in the DiMarzio.

But the all around SBV build quality is fantastic. Great feeling neck, very solid neck join, perfect frets, stellar pickups, everything.

3 Likes

Whoa…….double P “SBV”

5 Likes

yeah a current MIJ is not that far from a MIA, we probably agree about that. almost as good. and yes the pickup(s) is the weak point on almost every Fender instrument, which is not the case with SBV’s :slight_smile:

3 Likes