Post your covers! (2019-2022)

yes it’s just an external link to an mp3 file, the forum embeds the player by itself. exact same thing for the video with an mp4 file !

3 Likes

Cool. That’s much nicer than soundcloud.

5 Likes

yeah I agree

2 Likes

Nice job again on the cover. I also like your T-shirts that you wear in your videos, just like Josh, you have a good collection of musician shirts! That Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction album cover shirt on the last one was my favorite. Good album.

5 Likes

Pretty much agree with all of what you said, @terb!

PS: will post something tomorrow about my first playing experience with some guys I met online (“not like that”) and had to almost sight-read their original music :flushed: Lots of fun, though!

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing this one. :grinning:

3 Likes

My first recording (new DAI toy). Not really a cover, just me knocking out a few bars of a lesson with a different drumbeat (because I haven’t figured out Garageband yet). Do we have a more appropriate thread for this sort of thing?

Be kind; it’s the first publicly shared piece of my playing.

12 Likes

Nice!

3 Likes

Nice sound & the recording is working! This is probably the best thread to share it, I think it counts as a cover. Look forward to hearing more recordings, from you, and others - please post them, even if it’s just a portion of a song, or, just a playalong from the lessons!

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I do love that song and my flat wound strings give a warm tone that I like. I play with just the neck pickup but also tried plucking at the bottom of the fretboard on another play through and the sound was even nicer.

3 Likes

that’s cool @PeteP ! your recording setup seems to work pretty well !

about the post, technically you play bass over a part of a song, so that’s a partial bass cover :grin: no problem at all posting it here, but we can create another thread for basslines played over the B2B backing tracks if you prefer

2 Likes

It wasn’t even the B2B backing track, so I’ve gone completely off-piste, so to speak. I hadn’t even remembered about those. Then again, so far I have only managed to get the DAI connected to the Mac and Garageband. I’m not sure I’m ready for more complications yet.

2 Likes

having a working recording setup is a big step up already :slight_smile: we’re all waiting for your first full cover :grin:

3 Likes

@PeteP Way to go, man. All of what those above me said and more.

The stuff you and so many others have been posting in the forums has been real inspiring. Please keep it up.

3 Likes

Here you go! I was up early(ish) this morning so decided to learn a few more tricks for the DAI - such as importing a backing track into Garageband.

This is my first full song play through. My wife listened all the way through and then announced that she absolutely HATES this song. She must love me after all. Now it’s your turn to be kind and/or gentle in your critique. Oops, I forgot to switch to triplets for the organ solo.

EDIT
OK, so that didn’t go well. My recording has been removed by Soundcloud because a copyright claim has been made against it. Annoyingly the claim is not by the song rights owners but by “Chords of Chaos” who only do cover versions themselves. As far as I’m aware the track I used was an edited version of the original Animals track. Looks like I’ll have to go back to the drawing board unless anybody can tell me how to share it with you without going through Soundcloud.

1 Like

Yessir! Good to hear you are up and running and ready to share covers and basslines :smile:

Now you just have to find workarounds for those pesky copyright claims…

2 Likes

In lieu of House of the Rising Sun, here’s my first decent attempt at One Step Beyond. It’s only a few bars long as my forearm is burning after 10 minutes of learning it.

Back to the course for the rest of the day, I think.

I know; just as it gets going, it stops. Sorry.

7 Likes

yeah that’s great @PeteP ! for the copyright thing, the best way we found yet is to upload your mp3 somewhere and copy/paste a link on your post here, it will embed a player.

2 Likes

Ugh, bummer, I learned the same thing about Soundcloud (see earlier in this same thread)! That’s why you’ll see some of my covers, and others’ as well, as just a little embedded MP3 player within the post.

To do this, you’ll have to have some sort of server, with public internet access, to upload the file into, then, on the forums, if you post a link to where it is, the forum automatically creates that nifty little MP3 player for you. If you have your own website for something, one easy way to do it is to just upload the file to that site. In my case, I used Amazon’s Web Services to create a bucket to send stuff to, though this is tricky if you’re not familiar with it.

You may want to consider a very basic website somewhere, if you think you’ll crank out a lot of these covers. It sucks that Soundcloud can weed these out so efficiently - it’s not like we’re stealing music on a massive scale, we’re just using these as backing tracks to learn from, and create basslines with!!

3 Likes

In this instance they’ve incorrectly identified it, that’s what’s so annoying. Copyright protection & control is a problem for service providers because they can be held responsible for breaches, so what they do is avoid any situation that might possibly require them to address the matter. The problem with that is that these companies make very little effort to check the legitimacy of claims - they just enforce the complaint without any justification. YouTube are notorious for scammers claiming the total content of a video based on a small clip contained in it - often without any genuine right.

As you say, it’s not like we’re doing anything commercial or big scale. I’m sure there are folk suffering from it and having their livelihood genuinely harmed as a result, but the service suppliers have no simple process in place to deal with the matter. Their approach is very much “it’s not our problem anymore”.

2 Likes