Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Yeah I figured you probably did but thought I would mention it as that was my first association I made with Gouge Away’s audiotree. Similar band aesthetic too :slight_smile:

Gouge Away’s bass player is great, he kind of cracks me up for some reason.

3 Likes

the bands I associate with Gouge Away would be Cerce (very “core”) and Made Out Of Babies (more post-, less core … also probably more sludgy) which is my absolute favorite band of all times.

3 Likes

I like Gouge Away! Feels like the harder end of the 90s alt rock scene. Sonic Youth was a good shout, @howard

Reminds me of Quicksand from the 90s, bits of Helmet in there with the repetition and thick, fuzzy bass sound (nice work reproducing that by the way!)

For more recent things that it reminds me of, Milk Teeth come right to mind. More of that noisier, darker throwback to 90s rock vibe. On that front, Drug Church hits some of those marks. I think they’re both a bit poppier though than Gouge Away. It’s a cool blend of harsh vocals, with that dirtier alt-rock riffing.

4 Likes

than you very much, as always a lot of new things to discover :metal::grin::+1:

3 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty much exactly the vibe I get from them too. I love their Pixies thing as well.

There’s a lot of stuff on Deathwish that I am liking a lot. Oathbreaker (obviously), Gouge Away, Deafheaven, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mac,
Appreciate it.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks @howard,
That’s why I like it, the tone, it’s been well worn but the sound from it is awesome.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @terb,
Firstly thank you for the positive feedback.:+1:
As this was my first effort in putting something up on the forum, I wasn’t exactly sure how to get it done so this is how I did it.
I did have some guidance from a mate to get it done.
I created track 1 in garageband and dragged the original recording into that.
I created track 2 with clean bass and the 60s combo amp setup and recorded the bass line through a presonus 24c DAI straight into GarageBand on Mac computer.
I listened to the track through the audio out on the computer into Bose quiet comfort 35’s as I recorded the track, thus ensuring no latency issues.
The bass on the original recording was removed and my track was mixed in its place.
I then recorded the video in photo booth on the Mac whilst having the original recording playing on my iPod dock and me playing through the peavey mark 3 head into my 4x10 quad box.
Then the video was mixed with the GarageBand recording to create the completed video.
I think this is why you think there was a little bit of an issue with the track, and what seems like timing issue, I agree it wasn’t perfect, that was my fault and I have learnt a valuable lesson.
I have completed another track this way already but I will probably scrap that and complete the whole thing again.
It is hard to repeat the tracks exactly the same on 2 seperate recordings and expect it to marry together in the mix.
The new ones will be completed as one, I will record the track and the video as one instead of trying to marry the 2 together, that will ensure there is no potential for the mis alignment between the 2.
I look forward to any feedback and hope my explanations help others to get their recordings onto the forum for us all to enjoy.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Happy Fourth of July weekend everyone!
Being on the road and having limited resources, I was wondering about posting a cover with just the audio? I can do something like a slide show with the cover as the background music and try posting it to Vimeo. When I get back from my trip I will try to record a proper video, but for now, would a slideshow/cover work?

8 Likes

The only downside I see is lacking visual information for technique feedback, other than that, It’s a cover whatever the medium used. I’d say, go for it!

6 Likes

no problem at all @JerryP ! the video part on our covers is totally optional, nothing mandatory :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@TNKA36 thank you for the details ! when I was talking about small timing issue it was just to help by giving a constructive criticism, really not a big problem :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @terb,
No problems my friend, all feedback is an opportunity to improve.
I appreciate it.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hi Brian @TNKA36, really impressive cover, great sound and video.
Can I ask a question about uploading it to the forum, is the video uploaded directly into the message you posted, it doesn’t appear to be hosted anywhere and linked to?

3 Likes

It’s just that it’s Lannys website so there’s no advertisement or link to get on the platform where it’s hosted. Lannys videos he uploads are the same. If you have a direct link to a video the forum automatically embeds it into a web player.

“Save As…” Download link as it buffers for me

4 Likes

Thanks @juli0r, I thought for a minute there was a way to post a video without it being hosted somewhere else! Thanks for explaining

4 Likes

I’m alone at the office right now, so I’m listening to Quicksand while working. I like how it reminds me about Filter.

4 Likes

Whoooaaa!!.. Something a bit different about this video!!… Is it me, or is there a “Magical” photo in it…???..

Great Cover @TNKA36 “Stewie”… Keep ‘em Comin’!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Yes! Filter is a good one, which takes me to Failure - another darker shaded alt-rock band. Filter’s first album is a good reference though. Not so much the followups.

4 Likes

Greetings BassBuzzers!
I have my first cover to post, it’s just the audio but I made a little slide show to go along with it while it plays.

7 Likes