Post your original songs/compositions!

I agree on the more pronounced. So this was a weird sonic space issue. The drummer is just riding on those Toms…and they occupy a frequency close to the bass. If you Bring the bass more forward, the drums got thin…but when you bring the drums up, the bass goes thin. Just a weird issue…and it never sounded that way (to us) playing it live. We also went to a pro studio with experienced sound guy.

So possibilities? We did not close mic the drums or use sampling, so that could be it. We didn’t go super compressed. Or it’s just selection and how drummer and I played together.

2 Likes

Very nice @quadfather,
I liked the mix👍, loved the bass tone, very clean.
Whoever is doing the backing vocals does a really nice job, works really nicely.
Easy to listen to, keeps you engaged :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

@TNKA36

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes we’re having a bit of a blast with the option of 2 male and 1 female singers - now the problem is choice haha. But we’re just loving it :slight_smile:

I tried to keep the bass clean as it helps with the legato verse and also the sort of pushy-staccato chorus.

The next track we’re doing however has a phaser, chorus and some fuzz distortion all at once which is also equally fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love this. Great effects on both the bass and guitars. Vocals are killer too!

2 Likes

@howard

Thanks Howard! Yes, it’s all very well getting the bass done, but it’s got to support something better overall and the vocals are really starting to come along!

2 Likes

Moving up from The original songs and compositions Laboratory

I’m idealizing an EP with a story. Something along the lines of a post-apocalyptic sand world, where our hero is going through an epic journey. The story details are not yet fully developed, I only have major plot points defined in my head and envision a sort of mute comic book as a companion for the EP.

I used my 2 basses and my midi keyboard on these.

1 - Rust Rider - Our hero manages to get an abandoned rusting old surfer van to surf the dunes of the arid landscape

https://soundcloud.com/freshlysqueezebananas/rust-rider

2 - Kill the Serpent - Our hero is surprised by a giant mutant motherfckng serpent. To reach his destination, the serpent has to go. The repetitive patterns symbolise the hypnotic nature of the beast and its constant attacks.

https://soundcloud.com/freshlysqueezebananas/kill-the-serpent-wip4

3 - Through the Storm - Soon™

It’s actually my first experience with complete tunes. Also a lot of firsts with midi and a lot of Reaper functionalities. It sounds amateurish… because it’s amateur. I’m in no way a professional musician/mixer, but I’m having a blast!

I hope you enjoy and I’d love to get some feedback!

G

7 Likes

Sweet, I love thematic concept albums :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is fantastic.
I can’t wait to see / hear / read the final product.
I know it is a work in progress, and far from over, but just take time and have fun with the whole project, and it will end up sweet.
And then when you sell a few, you are a pro. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Well, have some hardware and a DAW now, so can take things past the limitations of a looper…but this one is just (in my opinion) so pretty. Needs another part (downside of basic loopers) but it’s just a nice sound. What you guys think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhm2yk5WE2QgqCuj6igKoDJUBmOlPqnY/view?usp=drivesdk

4 Likes

They both sounded really cool @gcancella,
Nice blend of bass and percussion, I really liked the mix and great tone😎
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Can’t get any higher up the fret board, @kerushlow, IMO you need to clean up the position changes as there is a bit of fret buzz/dirty work etc, unless that’s the sound you are chasing, great to see you putting yourself out there, and you were really getting into groove,
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

I think that’s good work up there. I have a hard time playing cleanly in the upper frets like that. I can do it but I am not as fast as you were there.

The overall effect is pretty, I liked it. I love lead lines on bass.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, that is something to improve on. My improvisational playing does get sloppy with my fretting. On these it’s stuff I come up with on the fly practice for a bit, then record so I will remember it. But that’s a bad excuse, lots of pros can improv clean!

2 Likes

Thanks! It was a reverb on B3n pedal with their reverby effect turned up a lot. That area of fretboard is hard. I decided my pinky is almost useless there because the frets are so narrow. Sometimes I do not even use my ring finger to fret there. That helped for me, but I have kind of meaty hands and fat fingers.

Also, that is a compliment coming from you. The stuff you have shared here is super solid good bass playing!

4 Likes

I’m impressed! Nice grooves on the bass playing too. Just got my own little home studio setup and am experimenting myself (did it as part of a band before but not myself) and you are much further along in getting a complete sound/song. I am struggling every step of the way, but it’s super fun. Nice work!

3 Likes

Both sound really good, @gcancella . . . :+1:

Well recorded also!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve still got a long way to go though. I fix up a lot of sins in production :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty cool, nice and smooth, in with the groove.
and
I love that space-inveder-ish theme you got going on the closet.

2 Likes

Lol. Yeah it’s my sons room…not that I personally wouldn’t have comic book and video game themed decorations in mine…

2 Likes

Hello guys how are you these days?!! iIhope you are doing fine!
So my new song has just published and i want to share it with you!!
Best regards,
Gabriel

8 Likes