Post your pedal ideas

Is there a reason we don’t have more realistic sounding Octave pedals?

Is it a tradition because of the synth like sound of the OC-2?
Is it a technology issue? (This would surprise me.)
Is the technology to do this too expensive?

4 Likes

There’s a fundamental difference between using the frequency of the note you are playing to trigger a synth oscillator at a ratio to that frequency and actually taking the sound you are playing and changing its pitch. The latter looks more like what Melodyne or Antares do for pitch correction. Notice how pitch correction goes robotic when trying to shift too far. So much so that pitch correction artifact became a popular effect in itself. Yes, changing the pitch snd preserving timbre is a big DSP job.

6 Likes

So this comes down to processing power. And with lots of very fast, minimal latency processing you don’t get a $200 pedal. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks Dave!

3 Likes

But you can get it in a $60 plugin :slight_smile:

And a slightly worse version in a lot of free plugins

2 Likes

Does it sound like a real bass?

2 Likes

You tell me. While recording takes for this I played about a 30 second take that was a bit out of tune with the rest of the song, and decided to just fix it with Melodyne rather than re-take it. I’m curious if you can tell where it is.

1 Like

3 Likes

Excellent choices my friend.

3 Likes

Very nice indeed. Some of my favorites on there. I have owned some variant of five of those and they were all among the last ones I sold.

3 Likes

I’ve been so busy the last few months the release of this completely slipped by me. I’ve been searching for this pedal for years and someone is finally making it! High/low pass filters and 3 fully parametric bands of EQ. It’s every preamp EQ section ever in one box. Ahhhhh, freedom. I was actually starting to look at programming a DIY DSP pedal kit to get this.

8 Likes

Ooooh. That looks awesome

4 Likes

Seems like a pretty good idea to me!!

2 Likes

What pedal will spit out the midi note messages of what you are playing in real time?

Or can you get a DAW to real time trigger a VST off the record track midi in teal time. I know you can take an audio track and bounce it to midi later, but while playing?

I’m thinking of doubling or octaving the bass with a piano sample, for example.

@eric.kiser @terb @howard @John_E

2 Likes

Beats me. You want to turn your bass playing into midi? Is that right?

2 Likes

Google this:

audio to midi vst

There are many plugins

On the pedal front:

You could just split your signal ahead of this or throw it in your effects loop of your amp

4 Likes

Yep. I have never done this but Melodyne will do this for you:

Melodyne is pretty awesome in general, I highly recommend picking it up, it’s super useful. I am also guessing (based on all the analysis it needs to do anyway) that it will be generating a lot of the MIDI dynamics a lot better than a random plugin.

No need for additional hardware (which actually sounds a lot less flexible to me).

3 Likes

The most awesome way to get midi from a bass would be probably this:

(the link preview shows a wrong price, the bass isn’t 299 €, it is 2990 €)

2 Likes

good question @DaveT , but I can’t answer, sorry :confused: my knowledge of MIDI is very limited, I’ve never really used it.

5 Likes

That did it. I think this will do exactly what I want . . .

@howard , can you get Melodyne to work in real time as you play or is it always post processing?

4 Likes

I’ve always used it as post-recording. Though I think Nectar can make it clamp to key in real time, so maybe you can.

It’s honestly one of the better track editing tools around, I consider it a great buy. I have even used it to fix slightly out of tune instrument tracks due to bad intonation before, works great.

2 Likes