Post your pedal ideas

I aspire to this level of organization.

5 Likes

Oh man! I’m just getting caught up on this thread but @DaveT has got me super excited for this build project. Great presentation thus far!

4 Likes

** bated breath **

3 Likes

Added a true bypass switch to compare clean tone against the circuit. Basic blues breaker circuit complete. In quadrants around the chip, gain and tone shaping is on the upper left, overdrive is on the upper right, input on the lower left and output tone/level on the lower right. Far left side is power supply to get 4.5 volts reference from 9 Volts with decoupling capacitors.

6 Likes

Missing some cheese and crackers in the upper left corner. Maybe a few olives too.

6 Likes

:rofl:

We laugh but it’s no joke, old cutting boards make the best soldering workspaces.

5 Likes

and just like that, a pedal name was born :grin:

6 Likes

Charcuterie Drive!
:rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

I need this.

2 Likes

How’s the pedal coming along Dave?

3 Likes

I have lots going on, so projects sit until I find time. I did set up the camera to do a video walkthrough of how to wire up a circuit in case anyone wants to try.

4 Likes

That would be pretty cool!

3 Likes

OK, not a pedal idea, but something that would be really cool, and I can’t understand (mainly because I am pretty clueless when it comes to electronics) why no electronics whizz has not yet designed a way to disconnect the battery with a little switch, such that I could leave any active bass plugged in. As it is now, I find myself plugging and unplugging a lot and surely there must be some wear and tear there as well.

Anyway, yes, first-world problems… :wink:

6 Likes

It is possible with just a toggle. My guess as to why it’s not done is because it would introduce another point of failure that would disable the bass. Also, it would be something else you could hit during a performance. My $0.02.

4 Likes

If your bass doesn’t already have a push-pull volume knob used for something, you can simply get one and use it as the kill switch for the battery - no new holes needed.

6 Likes

This would actually be trivial. In fact I should check the wiring of active/passive switches because they might do this now.

Edit: nope, they don’t.

This would not be hard, I suspect it’s not done because no one wants an extra switch. No reason to avoid it if you want it though.

4 Likes

My Charvel has a push/pull to switch to passive. Sire basses also have a toggle switch. I’m sure there’s others

3 Likes

Yes, several of my actives have that (in fact, only the TRB doesn’t have it), but as @howard has pointed out, switching to passive is not disconnecting the battery. So, even if you leave it standing in “passive”, the battery will drain if you have a cable in the jack.

I can see @eric.kiser’s point that an extra switch might be “clumsy” or could accidentally be triggered, but I am sure there are good engineering solutions for that.

I guess I am really just wondering why that isn’t more common (or even slightly common).

3 Likes

It’s hard to beat the simplicity of unplugging a cable :relieved:

3 Likes

The switch is the cable. I would posit that adding a second switch simply adds complexity, and more complexity means more failure.

4 Likes