Post your practice fragments!

As far as I know, this is some of these “intangible” things and thus not easily described and probably even less easily notated. @Gio once explained to me that it is - in almost all cases - considered “bad” when the bass plays behind the groove. As a former drummer, I seem to remember that it is typically easier to keep the groove if you always try to be just a hair ahead of the beat. It is really hard to explain… and do! (See also the infamous “are you rushing or are you dragging” scene in Whiplash).

3 Likes

It is often (basically always) tough to hear what you do in the moment, which is why recording yourself and critically assessing what you played is a very essential tool to improve :smile:

4 Likes

I dunno about that.
Blues, some funk, some jazz and some various other things need a slightly laid back groove.

Born Under A Bad Sign is a great example of needing to lag a tiny bit.

5 Likes

Oh well - maybe it’s time to find a bass tutor… if only for the human contact :+1:

3 Likes

You may be lagging just tying to keep up.
Slow it down a whisker until nailed and inch it back again maybe?

4 Likes

Ha, yeah, I am beginning to doubt my previous statement myself now… :crazy_face: and my apologies to Gio for potentially citing him wrongly. I guess it all roots in the fact that I am a “rusher” myself… and also shows how hard it is to “describe” this vs. learning to develop a feel for this!

Here is the one of the pieces of advice I got from Gio back when as I was playing over a jam track he had provided:

I think this also applies to your “challenge”, @Ed

And here is a quote from Josh himself:

5 Likes

Yeah I definitely feel myself locking in more with the vocals or guitar than the drums, especially if I know the song well. I’ll give Gio’s tips a go - they seem pretty solid :+1:

5 Likes

This is great @joergkutter - his advise is a really great way to think about it.

Melodies meander, grooves are grounded.

4 Likes

@Ed ,
After reading through this post, this occurred to me. I was listening to my last cover and noticed that I was behind in the groove. I couldn’t understand why I was that far off and it hit me that I had a latency problem in the DAI/DAW settings. I rechecked and discovered that I had a 100ms issue because I was using the wrong drivers. Might be worth a look.

5 Likes

You know what @JerryP - I was gonna say you were a but behind the groove and maybe being a little ahead would “push” the drive of the song forward better but never typed it.

I think your right. Weird on the driver.
Is that for the focus rite?

3 Likes

Yeah, it was the Focusrite. I didn’t have the Focusrite ASIO driver selected in my setup. I corrected it before I posted the video, do you still think it needs tweaking?

3 Likes

Changing the driver after you have recorded it shouldnt change what was recorded. I think.

3 Likes

Cool choice of cover to learn to cover @Ed . I was a big WASP fan around this time too ( circa Electric Circus)
I reckon you’ll have this nailed in no time!
I’m a “rusher” too especially when I know I’m coming up to a tricky or exciting bit @joergkutter . And then I’m sometimes so pleased with how I play said bit I end up lagging behind :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @Mac ! I loved WASP in the 80s - they kind of lost it in the 90s but then again so did many rock bands I guess…

Good point @JerryP I’ve not yet done any proper setup on the DAI - just plug and pray :slight_smile: - might be worth digging around a bit…

4 Likes

I changed the driver and then re-recorded it. Comparing the timelines of the tracks showed the latency problem.

4 Likes

I went back and just listened and sounds perfect to me, so if its the same video then its me (sorry, got the 'rona the other day and in a bit of a fog).

It’s really really really good @JerryP - you’re a production powerhouse!

3 Likes

Thanks John! I really appreciate your input.

2 Likes

edrums (yeah, I let Ableton to quantize them :frowning: ), bass and guitar … Friday evening noodling

4 Likes

Just humanize them again, problem solved :slight_smile:

Humanizing works surprisingly well.

1 Like

Figuring out picking and sliding, need a smaller slide, and to learn the rest of the tune, lol.
Oh, and the sax part…

https://youtu.be/ULQszHjGzX8

13 Likes