Post your practice fragments!

I found they are a great place to start actually. Most of the songs we have came from a single riff, which we then added to, added second and third parts etc. the Band didn’t work with me on every riff, so these are ones that didn’t fit with the bands “sound/style”. Intentional Density will see a revival of many of my archived sketches though. You can write a whole song around a single riff though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.
Just out of curiosity, I am not looking to do it, and I know he said he is full and not taking on new students, but what does the mentorship run.
I am not looking for another teacher, but in case I were to recommend him out, wondering how much it runs a month.
Whatever it is, I bet it is a steal, I mean all the stuff he gives for $7 a month looks ureal.
I still have not started the 24 hour trial, but I have had monthly access to two sites, TalkingBass and LowEndUniversity.
They both have tons of stuff, Talking bass has a little more and is adding content. I am not sure if LowEndU is going to add much content, the community there is pretty dead, but the content is great, especially the technique module, from easy to difficult, it has some of the best finger exercises I have seen, for strength, for dexterity, for accuracy, and mixed up for two or three of them. plus tips to practice for right hand plucking, and things like switching fingers on the fret while playing, etc…
I like mark for the structured throry content, scales, cord tones, and sight reading.
LowEndU does have some content on sight reading and theory, which is good, but it is not as in depth as Mark (talkingbass).
However, LowEndU gave me the biggest A-Ha moment for me on scale modes.
I read it, and heard it explained before, but the direct way he explained it, made it click. he is not the first to say it or last, I have heard others say it the way he did, since then, but it was there that I saw it first for my own eyes, making it an ah-ha moment.

I look forward to seeing what is in this sight and am interested in the modules and learning path for sure.
I will continue with my private lessons with my teacher when I am back to full speed (where I was when I went to the hospital in October) and when money is a little more plentiful. for now, $7 a month, or $75 a year is more my speed.
I still pay the $16 for talking bass, and will continue until I have completed my courses that I started back in August and September (cord tones and sight reading beginner pack) and I may stay to finish the sight reading intermediate and the advanced that is supposed to come out this year.
I keep it since it is not always available, and I just keep it going.
low-endU, you can pay for a month, cancel, then go aback and pay for another month when you want to use it again. it is $20, so it is the most of the three, but just to get the exercises and stretches and technique lessons was well worth at least one month membership.

1 Like

If I were to pick one next, it would be Mark’s stuff at TalkingBass. His teaching style works well for me.

As it is, I am happy with self study and progress by playing until Josh gets his next course out (if that happens :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

Ha! So this is pure improv, drummer pushed wrong button on his v-drums giving different percussion set. Then he messed for a bit, and I quickly joined. Completely random warming up stuff, but was kinda fun!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iuaytp_AjEYzv4fYrytoqkvNydvigFzJ/view?usp=drivesdk

@T_dub The mentorship can be costly it involves two lessons per month plus an array of other things. I don’t want to miss quote the price but you pay for it in 3 months or 6 months I think it is somewhere around 300.00 for 3 months. If you are really self driven and dedicated to practicing without needing the constant guidance private lessons are 60.00 hour

1 Like

@T_dub I will share my practice log for today this is by no means a schedule one has to adhere to this is just my regiment of practice.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is doable.
is that something you fill out each day, after the day,
or prior to beginning the day?
Or it is something that tis provided to you to follow.

Just wondering cuz it says goals at top. but it sounds like it is written 1st person and is written as what was done, not what will be done (until the lats section)

So, I am wondering, are you making your own practice goal / schedule for the day, or are you getting any part or all of it from Damien or the site?
Thanks for the info, I think I am going to start my 34 hours tonight, and work late, then pick it back up tomorrow.

1 Like

I write my own goals each day and then as I complete them I annotated them as a record for myself. Damian helps me find the right path to study to get to my ideal over all goals

1 Like

so, does he personally review your goals, and or help you create them to start out? and is that for the Learners Path, or just for Mentorship?

1 Like

Wow! Man that is so structured and useful. I really do need to be more regimented and do these types of things. You get this type of access with the $7 per month?

2 Likes

He helped me set everything up and communicates daily with us through our practice logs and forum

1 Like

Ok, so he would do that for anybody that joins for $7 a month, or that is the mentorship program that gets that type of attention?
sorry to ask so many questions so many ways, but I am really interested, and, the only thing I find a bit annoying abouthis site, is how vague it is about what you get.
Of course, it is great you get the 24 hour free trial (3 days, or 2 weeks would be nice, but then again, it is only a $7 commitment, so…)
which I am about to start, but I want to know as much as possible going into the trial to make the most of the trial, and not just trying to figure out what you get, actually spend some time with the course material and see if it is for me, you know.
I am not opposed to Jazz, and, musically, it would make anybody stronger, but, for instance, SBL, I felt like I was thrown in the deep end, and swimming with sharks, thats how out of place I quickly felt, with what little I knew at the time. So, for me at this point, I want to make sure it is a good fit.

SBL, FREE LESSONS (the unpaid for ones, and there is a lot of good lessons there, and it is free, so what can you expect, but…)
I was good with the first few lessons in the Beginner module, that went over the bass, amps, straps, setting strap height, alternate plucking, stuff like that I breezed right thru, mostly knew, but watched every minute to make sure there was nothing I was missing or overlooking.
Then
The actual lessons, the beginner module.
Lesson 1 thru 10 werre good, I was learning and keeping up. i would have to go back in the middle of a lesson a few times, because he called out a fret by note, and not by string and fret number (at that point, I needed the string and fret number, so if he skipped that , I had to go back and pause it and figure out what fret and string he was on), and at that point, for free lessons, I could deal with it, it was free, I was learning, and was satisfied at the time with my progress, in about a weeks time.
Then came lesson 11
This is where he marched me up to the 3meter high dive and pushed me into the pool of sharks

Scott “ok we are talking about the one scale that makes all other scales, the one scale you need to know and that is all you need to know”
Scott - plays C major scale “that is the C major scale, and it is as simple as that, see if you play this D dorian scale (plays scale quickly) is comes from the C major scale, now I know some of you are gonna say, well, that is the same as the mixolydian scale with a flat 5, or the phygerian with a sharp 6th, etc…)” and the rest of the lesson continued on like that, him playing scales, calling them out by mode, and or extension, and then talks about arpeggios that come off the major scale, adn the 7 chords, and all this.
This coming from the last lesson when we JUST LEARNED the MAJOR C scale.
Never were we practicing playing the major scale on any other key, or any other position on the neck.
We had not even covered the Minor C scale, and all of a sudden he is speaking Mongolian to me…

Slight exaggeration, but not really. it was that quick it went from comprehensible, to incomprehensible.
and I thought, NO WAY, I am not gonna pay (what is is, $29.99 a month) for this, it is almost like paying to get humiliated, or paying to get shamed.

So, keeping that in mind, I am wanting to know more about Damian’s site.
I have seen enough of his videos to know he is not like Scott, but he is a little Drier then scott, and he does tend to talk a bit much. fortunately, most of what he talks about pertains to the lesson he is giving, instead of showing his son, or dog, or new bass, etc…

(now to be completely fair to Scott, who I am sure is a great guy, and IS a great player, those videow are FREE on Youtube, or HIS sight, and he can do whatver he wants with that time, and I won’t really complain about it, I can choose to watch it or not. but when you get to his paid content (which I never did, and I am sure it is a bit more diciplined) I would expect to learn and be taught in an order that I will know what A is before I am taught B and then C. I just did not get that impression from his free modules, which were a structured lesson plan, and I would need to start the free lessons to a point, then pay for lessons in order to be able to understand and learn from the rest of the free lessons. Now if he advertised that, and I went in understanding that it would be one thing, but to have to figure that out with my time and my money… not exactly what I want.
and
it is ultimately the thing that got me to pay for (the much more expensive out the gate, with the 5 pay plan to break things up) BassBuzz Beginner 2 Badass. it was not all the great YT videos they did, it was not even the color orange everywhere (I admit that did draw me in), but the thing that made me pull the trigger was the 100% satisfaction, money back guarantee.

This is why Damians site frustrates me a little, how vague as to what you get, but I am sure I will get past that, and if not, I can afford to lose a burger lunch (I need that for my diet too. lol)

Ok rant over, thanks for all the info.

1 Like

Man, you are Serious (and yeah, it needed that capital S :grin:)

That looks like a pro’s routine… Awesome, Lester!

3 Likes

Everything I mentioned is included. His teaching isn’t him just showing off like SBL which was good but it lost me. Damian takes his time shows you everything that’s why I connected so quickly. I am not in any mentor program and I haven’t even taken my first private lesson. So all of the stuff I mentioned he has done for me under the 7.00 membership. He has boat loads of experience in teaching, touring, etc. yes he is a jazz musician but he teaches the tools necessary to be a solid bassist in any genre. It in my opinion has been the best thing that has happened for my playing

3 Likes

Damn, I am signing up for sure, still gonna do the 24 hour thing, I mean free is free. LOL

I don’t even really think Scott is showing off per se, that is who he is, and he just doesn’t connect with beginners well enough to be an effective teacher for me at least, I know alot of beginners feel that way as well, but I am sure there are some people that have been with him since they started, and maybe they did just fine. Not exactly what I am looking for, but I am not trying to knock Scott in any way.

Ok, are you not going to do the Mentor, and if not is it because he is full ATM? and are you just going to do private lessons with him? will you ever do the mentorship? for some reason I thought you said you were in an earlier post.

Yes, this is what I meant by saying whatever I said. But even so, I don’t think learning Jazz would be a bad thing, or something I don’t want to do, I know it will strengthen my playing all around. not sure I am at that level to branch off into a particular STYLE of playing yet tho.

Thanks for all the info. I am shocked that all that is only $7. per month
I hate to sound cheap, but it is a great deal, and I all but dead broke at the moment, so cheap is good for me, and to have that quality for that price is just awesome.

2 Likes

@T_dub I thought about doing the mentoring program but Damian actually talked me out of it. He said I was disciplined enough to just do one private lesson a month. He has a spot on the site so if you are working through a lesson and you want his opinion submit a video or audio of your playing and he will help you. He wanted to keep it affordable. It is a small community he talks in his videos but usually just to explain why he is doing something or how to do it. Then he slows it down and shows you. I am truly impressed it may not be for everyone but you can’t go wrong for an initial 7.00 and trying it out for a month

3 Likes

Lol @joergkutter I take it very seriously. I want to learn and master the instrument not just be able to play songs. Playing music is a goal but proficiency is what I am after.

3 Likes

Yeah, that is cool, I am probably disciplined enough to do it with just the help he gives on the site.
I would still go back to my teacher for lessons at this point, but money for either is not there right now, even if I was ready to start where I left off.
i am quickly getting back to that point, but I still have a little way to go before I even think about it.
But yeah, I think that is great help and access for the cost.

2 Likes

@T_dub I sent you a pm I do not want clutter up this great site or deter anyone from BassBuzz

2 Likes

Yeah, back to practice fragments, starting now
:smile: :smile: :smile:

2 Likes