Post your practice fragments!

This took me a bit of work to actually be able to play…found out using both slap and finger style did the trick. Kind of inspired by Remco Hendriks on this one (his stuff way crazier than mine). Love how the DAW is getting the recordings too!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IS4zklm2s2c5YlQ82hmqfn5YfDjuuymJ/view?usp=drivesdk

2 Likes

Oh cool, what octaver are you using there? Sounds great. Has an OC-2 kind of synthy sound to it.

No octaver, playing octaves. Have SHB-1, Sansamp clone, compression and EQ on it.

1 Like

Interesting, something is coming through kind of synthy, like the OC-2 does to the undertones. I wonder if it is a little overcompressed. Sounds killer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably compressed to hell, the Sansamp also compresses. But the parts that really have that affect are parts where I’m fretting and playing an octave with the lower note, which is what an octaver simulates. Thanks! That one came out of nowhere and I thought it was one of my more interesting lines.

1 Like

Yeah - the synthy part I meant is this specific synth-like tone quality that Boss OC-2 and OC-2 clones add, though. I absolutely love it, used to have a clone just for that reason. Some people hate it but I think it sounds killer. And there’s a little of it in the lower octave note in your recording there.

I am guessing it’s a compression artifact. Love it.

Also possible you might be slightly overdriving your DAI and it’s clipping the lower note to squared off waves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. I probably couldn’t replicate it in a million years…lol. I just slap plugins onto the stems and adjust things till I think it sounds cool :rofl:

2 Likes

A fine approach :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used that SHB-1 to get some overdrive on this one, mixed with some other amp.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xY6sEZfYmI3p5vbXdFnJadkaIwL4ehb8/view?usp=drivesdk

I love SHB-1. Really damn good, especially for a free amp sim. Have you grabbed NadIR yet? It sounds even better putting a cab sim after SHB-1.

Haven’t, I’ll have to do that.

It mellows out some of the overdriving sound, makes it sound more like a tube amp. Pretty happy with the combo, though I am mostly using Kuassa Cerberus lately.

When I buy the SVT one it will be my go to, probably ampire.

1 Like

It’s funny because if I want an overdriving ampeg tone I go back to SHB-1 :slight_smile:

Sounds a lot like the rude side of a SVT to me.

It does a bit…there is just a …weight…to the SVT sound and nothing else is quite like it. As a primary tone I dig it, but there are other tones. They have Dark Glass amp sims?

Yeah, NeuralDSP makes a fantastic plugin simulating the B7K Ultra and the Vintage Microtubes. Since 100% of the tone in Darkglass amps comes from the preamps (they just have generic class D power sections) they work great as both pedal and amp sims. Built in cab sims too.

https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/darkglass-ultra

1 Like

Ah, the expensive (though less than analog) rabbit hole of plugins.

1 Like

Just remember Rule#1 for plugins - the sale price is the real price.

I got it for $50.

1 Like

Sorry I have not been on here much I have been really dedicating a lot of time to practice and hammering some concepts down. The last week I shared a video of some chord exercises over a tune call there is no greater love. The other day I re-recorded that same song with some extended chords and using various inversions etc over the neck. Part of my practice routine if you want to give it a listen you are more than welcome. You all are killing it over here I try to check in every couple of days to see what’s new.

4 Likes

Sounds very chilled @LesterH :+1:

2 Likes