Post your practice fragments!

Not at all. Micro shifting is a technique for that very purpose. :smiley:

2 Likes

Was a bit bored (still waiting to see the urologist Thursday), so I stepped outside the box a bit today and did a little funk using the Bootsy Formula ‘The One’.

Equipment Used:

TRBX504 (Active Pickups, 80% Bass, 50/50 Treble and Mids)
AudioBox USB 96
Reaper

Drum backing track credited here:

7 Likes

Nice! Good groove, and that was funky! Following bootsy technique was cool because it gives you the freedom to improv and express some stuff in between the ones!

3 Likes

I really do appreciate the suggestion (and the compliment that I was doing well :slightly_smiling_face:) Of course I’m aware of the fact that technique is not just a matter of preference. I just think that a deeper discussion of specific techniques should go into another thread, to keep this one more focused on people posting their stuff and getting feedback, which they might incorporate or not, or later in life, depending on their skill level.

2 Likes

That’s awesome @Sp33dSnakr, had a very nice funky tone to it. Did you use any effects?

2 Likes

Nope, just using the active controls on the bass. I’m starting to become mildly aware that I can use FX in Reaper. :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s what I meant… did you use any effects in Reaper?

1 Like

Nope, sound came straight from the active pickups. No post-FX in Reaper. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure, not you specifically. Didn’t mean to derail the thread.

Here is some practice. Worked on getting slap, octaves and strumming a chord together with a slide.

1 Like

Very funky, @Sp33dSnakr,
nice work :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Wow, a lot to catch up on, well done everyone!

3 Likes

Damian Erskine, in a video on his site that I just watched says he prefers to plant his thumb, and that floating thumb does not work for him.

I prefer to move my thumb (float it) when I play.

Each is a Technique, neither would be labeled as PROPER TECHNIQUE because there are too many people that play one technique or the other, or even play with both techniques.

I thought your video was great. I sometimes wish I didn’t find the need to move my thumb, and was able to mute with my ring and pinky finger. it is actually a TECHNIQUE I plan to work on at some point.

3 Likes

I solve this by only using a pick

3 Likes

Nah, thats not proper technique. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

What’s a pick? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I do have some picks lying around and definitely want to add that to my repertoire at some point. But first things first. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a good skill to have. Not hard to learn. I played guitar with pick a bit over the years. For bass it suits some styles and not others, so just depends what you intend to play. But it’s definitely a lot easier to learn to use a pick than say learning to slap.

4 Likes

Depending on what I am playing I use various methods of right hand technique. Straight forward walking bass or rhythms I usually plant my thumb on the pick up fast solo bass lines I float it if I am going for that James Jameson Motown I will palm mute and pluck with my thumb and first two fingers and then sometimes if I am doing chord melodies and voicing s I will play with my thumb and first three fingers like I would with my classical guitar background. Many times I will use a mixture of all while playing one tune.

3 Likes

I also believe that by having numerous techniques under your belt you can develop a much larger range of dynamics to your playing. I don’t slap very much on occasion playing some gospel bass chops I will but that is about it

3 Likes

Great players and teachers do plant their anchor thumbs, which I stated. Physics, economy of motion, and ergonomics are all reasons to move your anchor. Stretching your hand to reach strings as opposed to just moving the hand down slightly is more strain on your hand. It makes it harder to shift pickup positions while playing. It is also just a fraction of a second faster to move the hand than to stretch it further down. Finally it frees up the thumb to assist in muting and plucking (watch Remco Hendriks for an example).

All that said, it isn’t DETRIMENTAL to not shift the thumb. The advantages are either very subtle, or benefit someone with nerve issues in the hand or arthritis or something.

Damian is awesome though, I’ve been contemplating taking the $7 course and that opinion doesn’t steer me away in the least.

2 Likes