Post your practice fragments!

Practicing guitar (the HORROR). Haven’t touched one in a while, this is sloppy but just wrote this acoustic part, think I’ll come up with bass to it too and see what can come of it as a song.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bCGBmO0lk5zEyLkQnAYHOJXcOFd6Bc3_/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Howdy everyone! It has been a few months since I have posted anything and my playing/practice time is minimal (excuses, excuses) but here is my latest effort. I was going to do a few more takes to get it better but this will suffice.

Obviously I am not using a pick, or the fretting Mike Dirnt uses in the original version. This is the modified fretting and backing track suggested from “Fender Play” (their version of the online lessons).

Enjoy and I welcome the feedback.

PS - Sorry, it is well over a minute long.

11 Likes

Very good, @JDDaniel . . . :slight_smile:

Also left you a thumbs up on the Tube!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19! Hope all is well.

4 Likes

Nice work @JDDaniel,
I don’t know the song, your getting around the fret board nicely :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice Job Jd, I played right along with you :wink:

5 Likes

Nice job @JDDaniel! That sounded great.

4 Likes

Well done! I only wish I could have heard it with the backing track. One minor timing issue I detected, but other than that it sounds perfectly played.

5 Likes

Intro part sounds like bossanova :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, where I had my phone placed the backing track was quiet. In my other attempts to record it the backing track was at a higher volume which would have helped everyone, but I kept screwing up my playing, so I finally just said to heck with it and uploaded this version.

7 Likes

Good to see you back here @JDDaniel and with a good cover as a bonus :+1:

5 Likes

This was some more improv jamming, tried out some mild overdrive on my bass, just enough to give it some nice grit, and the tune turned out to be a good little practice to help sync the guitarist and I up (haven’t practiced together in a WHILE)! Definitely headphones or good speakers here, the grit drowns out the deep tones on phone speakers.

4 Likes

Sounds cool! Am I picking up on lower-tension strings? It sounds “twangy” (if that’s the right word) to my ears, but I don’t mean that in a negative way. I’m just trying to work out what drives particular sounds so I can try to dial them in when I want them in the future.

1 Like

I believe I was in DADG tuning on this one! Good ear and thanks! I’m also a “percussive” player so I kind of strike the strings with my fingers kinda like Entwistle but not ON the fretboard like he does.

1 Like

Sounds good to me, too . . . not at all bad for an improv jam, @kerushlow :+1:

John Entwistle is my main inspiration. . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Thanks!

This week I visited an old friend from the BassBuzz B2B… I remember loving it so much and playing it every time I take my bass in my hand…

After almost a year now it took me about 30 minutes of practice to get it back under my fingers. To an extend that I dare a full play through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2D72GsarY4

9 Likes

So I was noodling at the upper end of the fretboard after a Talking Bass lesson that had some exercises up there, and started turning pedals on to see what I could get.

I hit the 20th fret on the G string with my Gamechanger Plasma petal on and it instantly reminded me of a song, but it was missing something. Added in a Boss Harmonist using 3-part harmony, and it nailed that very familiar note. It was like I had to figure out the riff. Granted, not very bass-like, and it is a guitar riff, played badly, but on a bass, but figured it out by ear, from a random note I played, messing with pedals, so that’s pretty cool.

Funny how you hit a note and it reminds you of a song.
Any takers on who/what it is?

4 Likes

It does sound familiar but I can’t put my finger on it… :confounded:

1 Like

Beasties, but the song name escapes me… believe it’s from Check your Head…

1 Like