Post your practice fragments!

Much older…

Hint - 70’s
Not the most popular song on the album

4 Likes

Now that you said 70’s, it kinda reminds me of Swingtown by Steve Miller.
Sounds cool either way, and those black block inlays are outta sight! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ah - maybe the Beasties sampled it… I have a feeling I know who it might be, just based on the title of the Beasties song, but I’ll refrain as I don’t know the original song (and looked up the Beasties title)…

1 Like

Not it, but interesting as that song and this one were both released the same year, 1977.

2 Likes

It is a on a Beastie Boys album. Paul’s Boutique.

Nope, it is “Time for living”, off of Check your. head…
EDIT: It is actually its own track leading into “Time for Living” called “The Biz vs. The Nudge”

20 year old me, and my band covered that song.
Plus
The Beastie Boys are my ALL TIME FAVORITE group.

https://youtu.be/A_9Xac26D3o

5 Likes

Well that is funny, that’s a sample of the original 1977 song.
So technically this answer is correct, however, I didn’t know the Beasties samples this…

https://youtu.be/8sBPSwO0vR8

4 Likes

Gotta Love to Hate Ted.

3 Likes

Amen brother!
I remember buying that album as a kid and loving it!
Can’t say he makes sense to me nowadays, but, he doesn’t have to really.

3 Likes

Don’t mess with Ted, i love his self titled album, “Stranglehold” is a great song,
i think he has enough weapons to have his on army :joy: :rofl:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I love this thread, and it’s full of all these really great practices, so I thought I’d come in and post something not-great. :slight_smile: Point being, I’m gonna improve this and I want to see how far I’ll have come. This was some footage I managed to get of myself “connecting” for the very first time with the ultra-quick double-ghost note slap I just started working on last night. I wish I would have thought to hook up a better mic, but hey, I’ll do that when I get gooder.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you “DORK Necessities”: :laughing:

9 Likes

Thats no Dorking around.
That is great progress. Of course it needs work, but it will come around. It mostly needs time, just put in the work and in no time, you will be “Slapping da bass mon”, with the best of them.

3 Likes

You slap better than I do, keep with it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha, thanks! I slowed-up a bit in the past weeks and really went over the B2B Slap Module (still going back to review stuff on it, actually) at a much slower pace than I took the rest of the course. It’s true what they say – practice slow and you’ll learn fast.

But it’s also fun to test out going fast from time to time… This is just a little exercise specifically for that purpose! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

If you have not already, do this lesson with @joshfossgreen, on his other YouTube channel.
I love the song, but even if you don’t, there are alot of great principles taking place in the little riff that makes the whole song ROCK.

Its Josh, and it is a breakdown tutorial, so you know its great.
This one song, and learning it wrong, opened slap bass to me, prior to learning the wrong version of the song, I was not getting the grasp fo slapping very well…
Then I learned it correctly with Josh, and can play it pretty good now.
I still don’t practice a lot of slap, because I have chosen to focus on it for a while, after I get thru some other things I am focusing on now, but I still play this riff while sitting around doing nothing else to keep the skills a little cleaner.

And if you want to see the man play the whole song without any breaks.
Here you go.

https://youtu.be/VUgwlb4Gzko

7 Likes

This is great!
Slap is something I have not really gotten the hang of yet. Soon thought, trying out Mark’s slap course at some point (bought it in the last sale).

3 Likes

Sir, did you just ask if I liked RATM?! That’s like asking if I enjoy breathing the air :smiley:

Thank you so much – JUST subbed to Josh’s other channel since I think I’m creeping into the intermediate category now and hadn’t seen this yet. Absolutely the kind of thing I’m looking for!

3 Likes

You would be surprised. I offered the same advice to somebody 9-10 months ago, when they were saying they were having a hard time with the slap module, and were just thinking to pass it since they didn’t really want to slap any way.
I was asking if they are saying that cuz they really have no interest, of if they think its too hard and don’t want the. challenge.
The reply was, “no, I really don’t want to learn slap, AND, thats not my kind of music anyway”

SO
I just make it clear, that even if you don’t like this music or band, I suggest giving it a try because the lesson is great, and helped me out immensely.
But
I agree, we enjoy air, but we need RATM!

4 Likes

Haha, I get that. When people ask me how I do it, I just tell them it’s almost like learning a separate instrument and takes some time. As for not liking Rage – Those people are entitled to their wrong opinion. :smiley:

4 Likes

Well put

2 Likes

I am studying this to be able to play with a bunch of people. Original bass line has a lot of movement in it as you can probably hear… I am sticking mostly to root notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737_My7BFGI

6 Likes