Post your practice fragments!

Very cool. Love that bass, the color is great, and I am not a big fan of gold, unless it is used right, and that is right.

3 Likes

Some lunchtime 12 bar blues in E Major and showing some love to my short scale Mustang.

EEEE
AAEE
BAEB

Man I struggle reaching the E string with my pinky.

Pardon the abrupt ending as I was trying to keep it under a minute. :wink:

PS - “Producer Switch” flipped and using the neck pickup (for those aware of that thread), but then again, I guess its not really a “Producer Switch” since it works. LoL

@PamPurrs#microshiftsavedmylife LOL!!

7 Likes

There I was, innocently practicing Highway to Hell for the 50 songs challenge like a good student. Suddenly random inspiration struck, whisking me off task! I needed to play some high notes over a ringing low note. I quickly found the high E on my D string and started doodling while the open E rang.

Not exactly an Aha Moment :tm: but it was the first time something has popped into my head like that, which was sweet, so I had to hit record and share it here.

Who knows, maybe one day I’ll develop this and it will end up on the original songs thread :thinking:

5 Likes

Very cool. always fun to get an A-Ha moment

3 Likes

After a few days of struggle with the right-hand technique, I finally got it somehow that I am able to stay in rhythm and flow of a song. So, time for a test. I took one of my drum loops and try to improvise some basslines and after a while, I end up with this

It’s nothing special, but a month ago I wouldn’t even think about something like freestyle jamming on a drum loop.

With my right-hand technique a few days ago, I wouldn’t be able to stay with the song (128 bpm) for one bar, but now it’s really natural and it was just about pure focus on the thing and after a few days what was impossible before is possible now.

The bass is so much fun!

9 Likes

@wellbi, outstanding!

3 Likes

oh, thanks! I don’t even know if it’s any good for bass practice, but this kind of playing around some drum loop is so much fun

3 Likes

WOW :hushed:! Great snippet of your playing @wellbi

3 Likes

It is GREAT for practice.
You sounded good. I really liked the tone of the bass

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s Sire M2 in passive mode (For some reason I keep getting back to passive mode or my PJ Squier more and more. I love the sound.) through Rumble 40 and SM57 microphone.

I am trying to tackle a problem, I have with playing, a day and this jamming simply doesn’t seem to solve any problems. But I guess playing along is also a needed skill.

4 Likes

most definitely.

2 Likes

What’s that thing we say? Beats get you hired, rushing gets you fired? I dunno, but my point is you sounded really good. Nice improv!

Any of you cool cats and kittens see Rock Camp: The Movie? Tony Franklin does this Gollum impersonation but he shifts between two “bass” personalities. “We must play more boring, precious…” and “We wants to play it faster!” – absolutely hilarious. But his point is that you gotta really work on making that beat work above all else. I think you’re really doing greatin that regard, @wellbi. Not all bass people get that, even after years and years.

5 Likes

… this time around I prepared a longer loop with some other instruments than a drum track and a “progression” so I have to take it both into account and yeah, as soon as one has to change basslines it’s unbelievably sloppy, but like anything else, it’s just about practice

4 Likes

Still quite out of rythm at times and probably shouldn’t use any overdrive here but it is a new toy and I want to play! :smiley:

5 Likes

Nice workout @Fahri,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing what you’re working on!

4 Likes

Hey there. I just want to share a little bit of my progress. I am quite confident in my ability to play alongside drum kit, but melodic instruments are really tough nut to crack. However, I spent some time last week on this aspect and finaly it starts to fall in to right place.

And now it’s time to tackle playing with a full band and all the instruments at once. That will take some time.

4 Likes

sounds great @wellbi
this reminds me to start trying this out

4 Likes

I highly recommend it. I started at last to work on a cover, because I found out that it’s the most effective way how to learn the freatboard, for me at least. But this jamming alongside loops etc. 1st) I can feel it really helps with muscle memory 2nd) it creates a repository of moves which are somehow available on command. And it’s a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Very nice @wellbi ,
Love the tempo and your bass tone fits nicely into the mix,
most excellent, :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes