Post your practice fragments!

Yep all the more reason to denote the key :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay makes sense. Good idea.

Won’t do it though :sweat_smile: I’ll just give switching to the 5th fret instead of open strings a try. Playing frets is already a bit easier compared to open strings because the muting on release happens more or less automatically.

3 Likes

Here is one I did recently of the 12 Bar Blues. The chord progression is different than what Josh taught us in the Beginner to Badass lesson with SRV Pride and Joy (which I have memorized) and I guess is one reason I butchered it, but I wanted to post as I just freaking love the 12 Bar Blues.

Credit to Eric Blackmon Music and Band in a Box.

17 Likes

I tried to watch it, but got an error and could not view it.
not sure if it is on my end or yours, but would love to see it if it gets sorted out.

3 Likes

Maybe now T_dub?

5 Likes

Great job, one little slip, but nice recovery.
Good use of your ring finger and pinky.
Good raking on your right hand. coming along nicely!!!

4 Likes

Right on @JDDaniel! That’s exactly the kind of post I was hoping would get posted. No pretenses on where we are and sharing it with other B2Bers! It was great—thank you! (And it was under 60 seconds, :slightly_smiling_face:.)

I, too, love the blues. It’s my genre. Once the 12-bars and the I-IV-V progression got into my fingers, I find it an easy style to improvise.

5 Likes

Here is a test track.
I have been practicing the intro bass solo to NIB by Black Sabbath. I got an envelope filter to get the Wah into the solo, but because Geezer Butler uses a Wah pedal, it didn’t time just right, so I found a Mini Bass Crybaby Wah Pedal on Offer Up for $60 and got it.
After getting my new Imac the other day and getting things set up, I started trying to lay a bass track using the Crybaby for the first time. I found this rather challenging. But since this thread showed up (thanks @Sachelis) I decided to lay a track with the crybaby to show how it goes. Lots of practice with it needed to get it right, but this will be the bass, with improvements coming.
So, I played this on my ESP LTD Araya FRZ thru the Crybaby to the Zoom U-22 to the Mac. The NIB riff at the end is with the Crybaby in bypass and using a pedal in Garage Band, to test and because I don’t have my pedalboard out right now cuz I was not exactly planning this, it just happened.

Playing and using the Crybaby is challenging, My concentration goes to the pedal and I slip a few notes here and there, so its pretty butchered, plus the fuzz pedal from Garage Band is not so great, so its pretty rough.
Oh well, we learn best from our mistakes.

NIB take 1

12 Likes

Good job for both of you @JDDaniel and @T_dub!

4 Likes

Nice playing @JDDaniel,
Nice tone from the J, and you looked really relaxed getting around the fretboard :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Nice job Tony, the distortion sounds really cool.
Loved it👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Being willing to post what we’re working on, @T_dub, is what this thread is about. What you did is cool! And listening to our playing without backing tracks (or with minimalist backing tracks) is a great way to improve. (I took bass lessons for ~5 months and in the first lesson my instructor said something similar to, “Everyone, regardless of their skill, should record and listen to their playing. That’s one tool that will help everyone improve.”)

6 Likes

Sounds great. You’re really good at the little fast transitions/fills in there.

5 Likes

Thanks, been practicing it for a while now. First was memorizing the whole thing, then working out the rhythm, which I am still of on some parts, but close enough to just say I am making it my own flavor.
Then, in comes the Crybaby.
Whole new ballgame.
I have never really used a wah pedal before, not even on guitar, I was much more a rhythm player then a lead player.
So this thing is tricky to learn.
First I have to get past not misplaying notes or sections because I am concentrating on moving the pedal.
Next I have to get used to where to let the pedal ride when not stepping on it all the way.
This is really tricky. you have to have the pedal engaged, or it is in bypass, but if you are on it a little too much, it starts to suck the volume as you get closer to the poles, AND you have to not go too far when bending strings because overshooting the mark is too much of the effect.
And because the pedal is a mini, you have less room for error all the way around.
But
it is lots of fun, and great practice to improve skills all the way around, and since this is a first for the crybaby, and my GB editing / recording, I can only hope to keep getting better.

6 Likes

Did this one a while back and just saw it on my desktop so here’s something I play all the time. It’s a little different than the original but I like the minor changes I made.

Mostly I love the amp and cab sim I used in there :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Yeah, that sounds great.
I gotta figure out the whole playing to tracks or adding backing tracks to the bass lines.
I really want to find (not that I have looked much yet) some of these songs that I am playing with the bass line removed.

That is one of the reasons I focused a lot on the intro to NIB, because it is only bass. To play the baseline to a song with it removed is the real goal of course, now that I have a real computer, it will come sooner for me.

6 Likes

Sounds really nice @howard,
Nice tone👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks!

6 Likes

Yeah sounds good.
It shows that it’s a tune you practice for a while and not started practicing yesterday.

4 Likes

New recording from GargaeBand.
I am starting to get a hang with GarageBand, but have not tried anything with video yet.
I also have not tried to mix in any songs, backing tracks or anything other then the baseline.
I would love to find this song with the bass removed.
I have found it extra challenging to playing to a song with the baseline in it.
I also tried to play this song to just the baseline with no other music, from a Youtube video.
This is practice because I have been having a big problem playing this alongside with the bass only YouTube video.
I am making tons of mistakes, if I play it just to myself, I play it a lot better, but that’s not reality, I want to be able to play with others, so I will continue to work on this song, making recordings while listening to the song or baseline, hoping to improve enough to make a full recording of it in the near future.

StingRay Ray 4 - Zoom U-22 - GarageBand - clean bass amp sim
Played while listening to YouTube video of the song Bass only

Edit: Song from start up to the first break where there is a little guitar solo

6 Likes