Post your practice fragments!

Nothing wrong with that recording,
I would import the track into GB , then put second track with clean bass and pic which amp you want to use, I have used 60 combo , big stack and modern stack, all good :+1:
Record your track running parallel to original, then do the fade out track, this is where you can remove the bass part and have yours in its place, that’s how I do mine and it works fine, any problems let me know or check out @Lanny , Bills site as he has all that info there to guide you through the process, hope this helps.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Brian, can you import the track into GB, then remove the bass, so that I can listen to the song (even if I have to export the song without the bass to listen to it) while I play it.
I just get messed up listening to the track with the baseline, I find myself trying to hear the bass, more then trying to play with the song, so it is a distraction.

2 Likes

Not sure Toby,
You may be able to turn the bass down on the EQ and give that a run, I think it’s gunna be a trial and error thing?
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen could you pin this thread up top, under the post your covers thread? maybe, possibly, please :smile:

3 Likes

I’ve tried using pins more liberally, and it ends up cluttering the forum view, especially on mobile, so I’ve actually already un-pinned a bunch of great threads. Maybe we need a “Greatest Threads” thread pinned or something? :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

OK, no problem. I was hoping this thread got as much traffic as the post you’re covers. That was why I asked. It is meant to get views and comments from others on what is posted for comments, tips, pointers and compliments.
I get the clutter problem, so we will just continue to use it and hope people take notice.

8 Likes

I’ve tried using pins more liberally, and it ends up cluttering the forum view

Yeah, I agree with not pinning. Popular threads get more promotion organically.

4 Likes

Well, hopefully we can find a way to get more traffic thru this thread. it is a great idea, I just hope more people start looking, and listening, and commenting, so we can know how our posted tracks sound to others.
So far, the results have been underwhelming. Only about 3 people have listened to my, or any others tracks. I will try to post more tracks soon, and hope the results are better.

3 Likes

Yes @T_dub, you certainly can. I do it most all the time because I don’t want to hear the original bass line playing while I’m making my recording - I only want to hear my bass line along with the song.

When you drop the original into GB, highlight that track which will bring up that tracks amp and EQ. I use the EQ and simply lower the 100 - 150 Hz frequency which will remove most of the bass. Be careful not to go too crazy though since you might be stepping into some of the lower midrange frequencies.

As @TNKA36 Brian mentioned, once you’ve laid down your bass track, add the fade out (master) track and then fine tune your final audio production from there.

Hope this helps, and HAVE FUN!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Thanks @Lanny. now I need to find a good track of the songs and figure out importing them. I will figure out I am sure, and I will look for your instruction site again.

5 Likes

You can find what you"re looking for HERE @T_dub

The last two Presentations on that page deal with removing the bass line from a song. Let me know if you need anything else. I do have more in depth info on one of my other websites, but it’s hidden from the general public since it also includes help topics related to that particular website.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

Thanks again, as soon as I get working on it I will refer to that page.

4 Likes

A musician friend asked me where I am on my bass-learning journey, so I recorded this short, commentated “demo tape” to share with him (and others). After doing so, I realized it’s a good digital diary for me that I wish I’d done periodically (e.g., quarterly?). And it fits well with @JoshFossgreen’s Tip #7–Notice Your Progress.

15 Likes

7 Nation Army practice with @bassbuzz and @JoshFossgreen by White Stripes.

19 Likes

Sounds really good, nice production too.

4 Likes

Good job @JDDaniel, your timing is getting way better.

Must be that new P-bass!! :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks and yes, you noticed. She is brand new. Just out of the box today and this was her maiden voyage.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @JDDaniel - one thing you could focus on is maybe to try and alternate between index and middle finger when plucking… I can’t recall whether Josh had already talked about that at that stage of the course, but it is always a good exercise to work on!

7 Likes

Yeah, I really struggle with that.

Guess I need to slow it down and “think-think-think” as Pooh used to say. lol

6 Likes

Sounds nice @Sachelis, Steve👍
Good mix with some really nice tone, and your right it is a good idea to track your progress :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes