Post your practice fragments!

Nice little practice piece @JDDaniel👍
I’ve read the comments from the guys on the forum and I would agree with the points for progression :sunglasses:
It sounded pretty cool to have Josh’s encouragement in the background, it’s been a while since I was there😁
Like your new bass👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks on all fronts.

5 Likes

My effort for today, nailed it a couple of times (not on video of course) but missed a few notes here.

And for those who noticed - from my last video post - I will take the Sweetwater box to the recycling but wanted to make sure I love my new P Bass which just arrived yesterday first. LOL

9 Likes

Getting better there on the alternate plucking - great!! Next step: those “flying” fingers :grin:

Also: if I remember correctly, Song for my Father has an AAB form, so two of those segments are the same and the third time it is different!

PS: I think it is best/most fitting to post these bits here in this thread, and NOT in the “cover” thread. In any case, I don’t think you need to post them twice :smile:

EDIT: just saw that you removed your other post from the Cover thread - cool! I just want to point out, that I am NOT the police - this was just meant as advice :smile:

4 Likes

No worries. Thanks for the feedback and suggesting that. I don’t want to muddy up the forums. :grin:

5 Likes

yeah @joergkutter , thanks a lot ! it helps to keep the cover thread a little bit clean :grin:

4 Likes

Hey @JDDaniel,
Nice tone from that bass, why didn’t you use the new Beast🤔
Or are you sharing the love.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

HaHa @TNKA36 and yes, I was trying to share the love amongst the gang. And, I figured since it was Jazz, I’d play the Jazz Bass. :wink:

I will say this however, that P Bass really punches compared to this Jazz with all knobs fully pegged on both and the amp at the same settings (flat).

5 Likes

I like finding songs that heavily feature one technique in order to make practice a little more fun.

So here’s me with Harry Styles.

And one of my cats in the background taking a poop…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgCXzqvfQ8

10 Likes

Hey @Theron,
This one sounded heavily distorted, not sure if that was what you were aiming for🤔.
Nice finger work plucking the strings, good video, but the sound quality not your usual standard :sunglasses:tone wise?
Maybe it’s from my end🤔
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Same here @TNKA36
Might be a Melbourne thing :joy:

3 Likes

To me it sounds like it clipped at the recording. Maybe recording would be better if one reduces the volume on everything there.

As others said it’s more about watching your fingers at this point than hearing the result through the wall of distorted sound. That seems good :slight_smile: keep it up!

Maybe I’ll have something to post here too in a few days. Gonna meet with the ex-bassist of my band to go through the songs.

4 Likes

Good to see you @juli0r :+1:

4 Likes

I’m not dead and hopefully won’t be for a while.
As explained in another thread some weeks ago I will be mostly lurking and just occassionally posting except for more or less regular updates about the band I joined as there seems to be interest in it :slight_smile:

Could take me a day or two but I’ll react to mentions and DMs and such.

6 Likes

I’ve actually got the gain and blend on the amp near zero, so it’s a far cleaner tone than usual haha. The “distortion” is just my webcam mic having all sorts of trouble with bass.

5 Likes

Maybe record it with your phone…

1 Like

Okay, first attempt at this and it’s a one take wonder just like it would be if I was playing live :scream:
Please be gentle. There’s a couple of stuff ups and timing issues but I’m overall quite happy.
Doesn’t kick in until 12 seconds in too

10 Likes

Sounds pretty good to me, @Mac! Is that a practice “fragment” or more like a full-blown cover?? I mean, you play the whole thing, and it has lots of shifts in rhythm and other elements that require you to pay attention, and you nail all of it, as far as I can tell! I’d say, you’re ready for the big league, aka the Cover thread :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter
I nearly put it in the covers thread but if you’d have seen the melt down I had getting on the forum it’s a miracle it even made it :joy:

5 Likes

Ha, no reason for a meltdown!! It’s the most friendly forum here, and we are all pretty much on par here… sure, a few of us are a bit more “experienced”, but we also struggle with all kinds of things (on the bass and in life). And the ones who are really experienced (e.g., Gio) usually give you the best feedback… it is like a free lesson :grin:

Anyway, if you decide to post as a cover, we usually try to EQ the original bass out (if possible). In your recording, I wasn’t sure whether I could hear the original bass or what created that “phaser”-like effect!? Also, (in the cover thread) you might want to explain a bit about which bass you used, maybe the type of strings, or what effects, what tone you were going for (and why) , etc!

6 Likes