Post your practice fragments!

Hey Mac @Mac,
You nailed it👍, sound is really good, timing is really good👍Tone is nice👍
Great job😎
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@Mac brilliant, very well done. You would be good for live, your in it great practfrag/cover :rose:
Jamie

4 Likes

Great job @Mac. It is definitely worthy of a Cover Post.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips @joergkutter :+1:
The phaser effect was probably the original bass I was playing over . I’ll have to have a good look at how to take that out or if I even can on the iRig set up . If not I’ll have to wait until @TNKA36 shows me how to :flushed:
Never thought about the set up I was using either. I actually gave the Ibanez SR650 with Thomastik flats a whirl on this recording which I’d not played for a while. And it did feel a bit odd.
The actual recording set up was a real bodge job lol . I plugged the bass into the Zoom pedal and then into the amp. I then plugged my phone into the Zoom too to enable the original track to be played through the amp. I then used a cable from the headphone out jack into the iRig which then plugged into my iPad.
Not ideal but it works to a degree

5 Likes

@Mac Great job man love the bass line to this STP song. Love it man keep at it. I have the same issues with songs I am practicing I can’t fully drop the bass line out of the original so sometimes I get the same effects going over top of them. overall great!

6 Likes

Thank you @LesterH. Appreciate it :+1:

4 Likes

This is such a great idea and such a nice thread! :smile: An ‘outside perspective’ can be so valuable, especially if you’re learning online with no face-to-face!

I’m commenting here now to put my foot in the door and remind myself to record something soon. I did it once before but the volume/clarity was too poor when it was played on any other devices so I got rid of it, but this will encourage me to try again! I’d like to think I’ve come a little further since then anyway… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes! Do post something @renouf! This thread has experienced a little mission-creep (from me, too). The objective isn’t to post covers, but rather short recordings of what you’re working on (complete with mistakes). As you mentioned, this provides the opportunity to receive an outside perspective, but I think another benefit is that you get to play “in front” of other people to shake off a little stage fright.

5 Likes

New bass ( Squier Mustang) and certainly a new experience with no backing track to hide in!
Mr Bigs “ I’m the one…”

6 Likes

Awesome @Mac, sounds good! How’s the new bass feeling generally?

5 Likes

Thank you.I’m really liking it @renouf.
It has the usual gloss neck which I can see getting a bit sticky in a gig situation and I will be replacing the strings but I’ve hardly put it down since it arrived.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your QC issues there, @Mac - that is very annoying!

Glad you like the bass and the sound… I guess you realize that you might get a very different sound once you go to flats!? Just be aware of that… and don’t toss out those rounds right after you put the flats on :grin:

About that glossy neck: very fine sandpaper or brillo pads will make it more into a satin finish - much less sticky!!

4 Likes

Here is my attempt at trying to play something. The song is “L’s theme A” from death note. Dont be afraid to rip on my playing, technique or and thing else.
https://youtu.be/qR6dzwQahOM
https://youtu.be/QDpD8dbHLnI

8 Likes

That new bass and the cover sound great @Mac!

3 Likes

Your cover of “L’s Theme A” sounded great, but I heard some buzz on the second video.

3 Likes

Nice tone @Mac,:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thank you @joergkutter @JerryP and @TNKA36.

I’ve got flats on my other bssses @joergkutter and prefer the sound and feel of them but I’m going to give these a little longer to see how I feel about them :+1:

5 Likes

Yes there definitely was. I have had the most struggle with playing notes on the E string. Its very difficult for my pinky to reach up that far.

4 Likes

You will find it easier in time @dualspiral66. I still get some buzz with my pinkie on frets 1 to 7 especially if I don’t microshift but it is slowly improving.

3 Likes

Well @Sachelis you said at the start of this you wanted to lower the bar… :')

I’m just over half way through the B2B course at the moment, so I can’t really “play” anything yet other than the riffs from the workouts and some scale improvs. Thought I’d test the water with the cliche beginner tune Feel Good Inc. I’m actually a few lessons away from doing that in the course but quickly checked it for the rests. I’m also playing it a bit higher on the neck as I thought it sounded better…

It’s only short as I just couldn’t hold it together much more for the recording.
Feel free to criticise, I still have much to learn :joy:

8 Likes