Post your practice fragments!

Hi @darja ! I came across your YouTube channel by accident! Very inspirational.
And I envy your courage, being able record yourself and publish it, while I am closeted all the time🙈. Even not everyone in my family knows that I am learning to play, lol.
You’re doing pretty well. And you’ll have an amazing keepsake later :star_struck:

3 Likes

That’s great @darja ! You’re doing Really well. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Ok I decided to resurrect this post, and put up some practice vids
(and maybe get others posting in here again possibly)

Seems a bit easier than a full cover and will also help me:

• practice recording and editing process
  • get more used to playing with camera rolling
  • work out my basic recording channel strip for each bass and compare their recorded sound
  • see and hear my progress over time

I have stuck to the basic idea of this post of a practice clip of (approx) 60 seconds, and with bass the most prominent and the rest of mix down. There are definitely mistakes left in as requested.

I have been playing bass since Oct 2022 (started B2B soon after that).

I recorded two grooves with two basses.

I played a take of a groove for 1-2 mins and then grabbed a continuous section of about 30 secs for each bass and edited them together.

Natural finish bass is:
Vintage (brand) VJ74 bass with tape wound strings
[DI recording]

Black bass is:
Fender P Bass MIJ PB62-75 JV
[The P Bass is close micd as well as DI]

Recorded with Behringer umc404hd audio interface into Logic DAW
edited in iMovie

I am playing a groove in each one from ’30 Rock Bass Grooves for Beginners You Must Know’ (a course on jamplay I’m doing post B2B to improve my groove/timing etc.)…the grooves are ‘in the style of’ (rather than accurate transcriptions) but I left out their names so you can have a guess at what original song they based on if you want to

8 Likes

Very good to post these kind of fragments for all the reasons you mentioned, and also to see and hear yourself (and get a different perspective than when playing); this will also led you better “see” your progress if you look back at these videos in a few months time.

I am not a pick player, but it seems you are using upstrokes only. Is this by design or habit? I could imagine that you might run into issues for faster lines, and in general into timing related challenges also for slower tunes, but I’ll leave more useful input to more experienced pick players :smile:

3 Likes

yes I upstroke by design always have, feels more comfortable to me, I don’t even think about it…if something is fast I will alternate pick (usually starting with an upstroke on the 1)

2 Likes

Nice. We all would do this more.
You’re doing everything right for sure

2 Likes

I hope others do start posting in here again…its a bit less daunting than something like a full cover/full composition and helps with a lot of learning things…it was also cool to hear a recording of my basses against each other too, I liked being able to compare the tones playing the same tune (thanks to @Al1885 for that idea from his covers, but unlike him I only have two basses so much easier :smile: )

4 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m working on this song for my next School of Rock performance. The theme is Chicano Soul. It has been really good practice for me to focus on tone and improvising with knowledge of intervals. Been getting ear training too. My teacher helped me, but I was able to work out part of this song on my own!

Evangeline by Jason Joshua and The Beholders

6 Likes

A good bass fretting hand is like a good golf grip and you my friend have a great golf grip.

2 Likes

I appreciate it! I’m trying! I think having freakishly long fingers helps haha.

2 Likes

Your picking sounds good! I like the tone. I’m pretty rubbish with a pick still, but trying to work on it.

3 Likes

thanks, when doing the b2b course a few months ago it was fingers up to at least medium speed on each exercise, but I pick everything at the moment

your playing sounded good too in the vid

4 Likes

This is the full song, but it’s definitely a work in progress. I feel pretty proud because I consider it a tough song! The song is “Will I See You Again” by Thee Sacred Souls. Been playing a lot of soul music in preparation for a show next month.

6 Likes

good work…looks difficult with all the little runs but seems like it would be fun

1 Like

So Ive been taking bass seriously Fina and am learning proper techniques and better knowing the fretboard. Im more nervous posting this here than playing in front of a crowd.

5 Likes

That’s a nice bass - couldn’t quite make it out… what is it? (Perhaps you could find a different angle next time - more bass, less knee :crazy_face:)

I like the sound, and pick playing is more difficult to learn than finger playing (I find). What would really be important for you is to play along a metronome or a drum track, in order to get your sense of rhythm and timing improved.

Rock on!

5 Likes

Trust me there is no good angle of me. Lol I dont usually sit when playing.

4 Likes

Brushing up on my Nathan East. Finally got some quality time with my BBNE2. It’s better than I remembered B string is very tight and clean. This is definitely my favorite Nathan’s song. Working off my muscles memory and still needs to fine tune a few spots and get the notes under the fingers. It’s a fun song with lots of space-ish, lol. It’s a good song to work on the double stops too.

I dragged a few notes but really want it on the video to check on myself.

Enjoy!

10 Likes

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice - both the bass and the playing :heart_eyes:

That’s not really a practice fragment - that’s a bona fide cover!!

4 Likes

Ha ha thanks. I messed a few spots and still dragging a bit a plus it’s about 5bpm slower for the eagle ears. Couldn’t get the descending fills fast enough to be in the pocket.

It’s been crazy and I haven’t post any covers in a while well cover for this one is coming.

2 Likes