Post your practice fragments!

@lee_editorial band’s name is “The Clones”.
Good job with the video production as well as the song.

6 Likes

Yeah! Totally awesome. This is very similar to what my friend and I sound like jamming back and forth in DAW tracks. He has a Gretsch hollow-body too and they really lend themselves to surf-style spring reverb sounds. Love the pad on the Korg too, it has a nice vocal base to it.

6 Likes

This is the kind of playing around that I want to be able to do once I’m playing properly! That was so fun to watch and I bet it was to play everything too! Well done! :grin:

8 Likes

@renouf, @TNKA36, @PamPurrs, @JerryP, @howard

Thanks for the kind words everyone… and yes I am having a blast! I am a bit of an impostor though… about 2.75 years into this bass journey, have not finished this course, only memorized one scale, don’t know the notes yet on my fretboard without looking at a chart and don’t use proper finger technique with the fretting hand. (in addition the pinky rarely gets in on the action)

Most of my time is spent creating/writing- so having fun seems to be driving my time and motivation. I’ve also put together a couple of once a month rehearsal bands and those require some prep time as well. (one for covers and one for originals) Hopefully I will get around to filling in a lot of my theory/technique deficiency gaps with more experience on down the road.

8 Likes

I think you’re on a fine path. Overall music production is what interests me as well, much more than being a bass virtuoso of any kind. I think you’re doing very well.

7 Likes

I like this idea, we often just lay down a few bars for my weekly class assignments and I could put those up here.

6 Likes

So this is from Creating a bass line for an acoustic guitar track - #7 by gcancella and I guess it fits here. I kind of smudged out a bass line this afternoon because it couldn’t be done…plus it was fun. Stream Work Music by russki98 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

7 Likes

Well done @russki98! I think it fits nicely. Good job!

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP I wasn’t sure but great to get some positive feedback, Cheers!

6 Likes

Sounded really cool!

5 Likes

Nice smooth playing @russki98,
Sometimes less is more, your tone and mix fitted really nicely with the song, not that I could understand a single word🤔
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Me either, thanks Brian @TNKA36

6 Likes

LOL

5 Likes

Hey Toby,

you still on the forum ??
i just sent you a message.

cheers brian

5 Likes

Here is one of my recent assignments from my bass class, we had to perform 24 bars of stormy Monday. They give us the backing track and in this case 7 bars, we got the chord progression, but we had to come up with the other 5 bars, repeat the whole thing. This is the t-bone walker version, not ABB version. I have the sheet music I came up with too…

Stormy Monday

10 Likes

Nice and smooth @Sully,
Great tone👍
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thanks @renouf. It was not intended to be a bass line as such, just some help with ideas of what you could possibly make fit if you want.

6 Likes

Nice job @Sully! I really like that trio of piano, drum and bass. The bass line works very well. I give you an “A” for your assignment.

6 Likes

nice and i love that kind of laid back :+1:
your tone is perfect and all i would like to hear is your bass a litlle bit louder over the bass-drum in the mix but nonetheless very tasty, good job @Sully

8 Likes

It actually is louder, but if you are just using computer speakers, you lose some of the bottom end. On my monitor headphones, it is much clearer. I find a big difference in my work laptop vs my macbook too. Tough to find that right mix for sure…appreciate the feedback :nerd_face:

8 Likes