Power Amp for Noble Preamp Users

I’ve seen other topics discussing “power amp only “ threads. I have just been down a rabbit hole trying to find a solid , simple solution to go with my Noble Bass Pre that’s the last in my pedalboard chain. Is it just me , or are there others out there who would like to find a class D power amp with some sort of EQ on it? That’s it. Just EQ and power.
It seems to be a tall order , because I can’t find anything.
That’s said , I think the GSS SUMO is gonna have to be my next purchase.
Having an Eq on a power amp would have enabled me to tune my cab for various venues . Yes , I have some simple Eq options on the Noble , but that’s more for color.
I’m very interested to hear any ideas, if any of you have similar gear.
There are just some venue stages that will absorb those low 60 to 80 hz freqs well , and some that just don’t. I don’t want to add/take away from what the FOH is getting. Just tune my cab as needed.

1 Like

You mean something like a Seymour Duncan Powerstage? Seymour Duncan Pedal Amps view All | Seymour Duncan

1 Like

I think most of those were started by me. Where I finally ended up was looking into making them myself. Unfortunately, for it to be a viable product, you would need to sell it at 50 cents a watt. More expensive than that and your better getting a used amp and going through the effects loop in. At the time there were plenty of used Hartke 500 watt class D amps you could get for $250.

That and an EQ pedal would be the most affordable way to do it.

I bought the Harley Benton Block 800 to do exactly this. Plugging into the return jack bypasses its EQ. I use an Empress Para EQ as the last thing before the Block 800.

I had bought the Harley Benton because it was supposed to have the same IcePower stage that many of the top amps are using inside the box. I recently read that was only in the smaller power block. Now I have to open it up to confirm.
Eventually I’ll pull the power stage out and mount that with the Para EQ in the same box for a frankenamp.

1 Like

I had been thinking about doing that with a power module from a powered cabinet but I left the project behind before I found one with an IcePower module. Have you ever seen one?

Edit: Yes I did. They have them at sonopart.com

Edit 2: They don’t seem to cary it anymore.

1 Like

It’s an Ice module in the block 800.

Buying this amp is cheaper than buying the module, fan, connectors, etc. If making a project. In any case, using the return jack on this amp bypasses whatever else they may have on it and makes it a pure power stage.

I’m guessing that if there’s budget for a Noble, there’s no need for a Harley Benton. That Seymour Duncan looks cool.

3 Likes

The crazy thing about the Block 800 is you can’t buy those coponents for anything near $289. I wonder if anybody buys them just to disassemble and use for project parts. It sure seems worth it.

Actually, I know at least one person did. And that person’s name, @DaveT .

1 Like

Thanks Eric ! Yes , to put it quite simply… I bought the Noble , and don’t want to rob its tone with a bass head preamp, but I wouldn’t mind the eq section.
That said , it seems like a lot of these bass heads bypass the eq section when you go in through the fx return.
So yeah , I could just add a Pedal eq that runs after the Noble’s send to my amp ( I don’t want it to eq the main foh di output. ) but that will force me to buy a larger pedalboard :laughing:
So now … I’m back to searching for a good amp head with some eq options that don’t get bypassed in the fx return.
I might just buy the GSS Sumo (1000 watts) power amp, and depending on the gig, bring the smaller 2 10 cab , or double up….or the 2 15. That might help with the reasons I would use an eq (for the room)
I have actually never owned an amp that powerful. I’m hoping it will work well with whatever cab options I might pick.

2 Likes

And thank you as well , Dave T !!

2 Likes

There are some very neutral amps out there you could use but they aren’t cheap.

Bergantino is the first to come to mind. I think that’s what @joergkutter uses.

I believe Genzler is another one.

Alternatively, for most amps, you can look up what the flat setting would be. That’s a less than perfect solution since the baked in eq is more present than what you can so with most amp eq knobs.

Let us know what you decide to do. I’m interested in seeing where you go with this.

2 Likes

Or just buy a PA, as there’s already a preamp with EQ.

1 Like

The OP is already going to a PA. This is for adjusting the stage amp to the room.

1 Like

In that case… another PA as a stage monitor and inexpensive preamp or EQ pedal? You can get a 300-500W powered PA for less than $200, should work fine as a monitor. Here’s a 700W for $209:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TX312--alto-tx312-700w-12-inch-powered-speaker

Just sit the EQ pedal right next to the PA :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes to those, and Trickfish, too.

But they don’t come cheap :wink:

1 Like

What about a FRFR speaker with EQ? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TMFR12--fender-tone-master-fr-12-1000-watt-1-by-12-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet

Eric , yeah the AgedHorse guy on TalkBass also recommended the Bergantino. I think it had around 600 watts at 8 ohms.
And Bergantino probably isn’t swelling those numbers.
I keep ending back up at the GSS Sumo , or even the Sumo Monster.
At least I’m not buying a bunch of features I don’t need.
What I am sure of , is the Barefaced cabs. I’ve heard them with my own ears , and they really are quite amazing.
Big Baby 3 is a little beast

1 Like

That’s kind of surprising since AgedHorse designed the bass amps for Genz Benz wich is now Genzler (who he still works with) and designed the last two iterations of Mesa Boogie bass amps. I know the Mesa Boogie isn’t what your looking for but I would have expected a Genzler reccomendation. Maybe they’re more colored than I realized.

1 Like

I went with a GSS Sumo.
It’s 500 watts at 8ohms / 1000 at 4ohms.
From what I’ve heard, it’s a great amp. Simple.
Just arrived . Wow , it’s smaller than I expected.
Now , I just have to get a Big Baby 3.
Or at least that’s what I seem to be gravitating towards.
Their Big Twin 3 is also pretty convincing looking, but expensive!
Any recommendations for a good matching cab ?
I am kind of digging this FRFR thing.

2 Likes

@JohnCarloScalia I always try to get a matching cab and head from the same brand. In my experience that always work well. It seems GSS sell bass cabs too. Boutique

Barefaced audio cabs are like the pinnacle of cabs imo. Perhaps start with something less premium and cheaper? 1x12 is always a good middle of the road approach.

1 Like

@John_E has a passive bass cab that is effectively full range. It has some funny name variations, so he should probably say.

1 Like