Power chords on lower 3 strings?

Quick post today- came up with a little riff idea that I would ideally like to use the lower 3 strings (on a four string bass so E A D) to make some power chords, But I’m having trouble physically doing it. I can play A D G string power chords just fine- pointer finger for the first note and ring or pinky for the second two- but I’m having trouble using this same formation on the lower 3. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

Absolutely none. but it sounds really cool so ima try it!

5 Likes

By definition Power Chords are just the Root and Fifth of a regular chord.
Why not just go for two strings (Root and Fifth) and then add in the Octave when you are able.

Also may be good idea to try this on the 1st 2nd and 3rd strings and leave out the low E.

Just a thought :+1:

5 Likes

You can try tuning to Drop-D and see if you have an easier time fretting all 3 strings on the same fret.

But basically there is a reason noone ever plays chords on the lower strings: Chord with those lower frequencies just sound muddy.

Edit: Ah, well, that is not quite true. I know one song that uses all four strings in a chord: Sober from Tool.
Just playing D on all the strings.

5 Likes

It’s a good point though. You’ll probably have better luck with sticking to root-fifth power chords and leaving out the octave for tone anyway.

1 Like

Is it a sound problem or a fingering problem?
The bass isn’t designed to try and let people play chords so the physical stretch for this is pretty demanding, particularly if you’re trying to do it on lower frets.

Sound wise, I have not had good luck with this shape below the 5th fret of the E string, as it gets pretty muddy.

In contrast to some of the other advice here, I’d say the upper octave for these chords played so low on your bass would be crucial for getting it to sound like a chord and not like a grumbly rumble of sound with just a root and 5th.
Again - depends on where on the E you’re playing it. Above the 5th fret, you’re probably fine with anything, below the 5th fret, the higher notes will help you lots.

(I also have had lots of fun playing lower chords on the E, but I’ll usually add a note on the G string as well to try and get more high end and melody out of it.)

6 Likes

That’s a great point - the upper octave and the fifth might sound a lot less muddy on the lower strings.

1 Like

upper octave and 5th sounds like a different note voicing to me. Not bad, but not the same for sure. But one should be able to adjust which 5th/octave they play to get the voiced note they want.

I use this a lot on guitar riffs, mostly.

2 Likes

Here’s a fun example of some real big chords I used. Most of the song (up until 2:40) is chords with either the open G or straight 5th power chords (on the A or D string).
But at 2:40 I just slam the bass with my open hand and play a full guitar-shape bar chord: G,D,G,B from E string to G string. (there’s an Ab major chord in there too).
I think it works because of that B on the G string - keeps the harmony clear. There’s plenty of meat and bass in the low sounds, but very little definition.
This is from 20 years ago, back in my bass-destroying glory days.
(Bee’s Groove song)

4 Likes

This is really good!

Are you talking about your fretting or plucking hand?

1 Like

Fretting, I planned on using a pick to strum them :slight_smile:

Have you looked at open and closed chords?

You say you want to play power chords but power chords are a root+fifth and the fifth is generally what you leave out on bass unless it’s a b5.

1 Like

Hi there! Just a thought, but have you tried using ring and pinky? This is how I’ve been fretting ADG power chords on the bass, and I’d imagine it would work just as well for EAD. When it comes to fretting/fingering, bass doesn’t let me get away with being as lazy as guitar does. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I envy youse guys with the long, skinny surgeon fingers. And welcome @laschip ! Glad yourl are here with us.

2 Likes

Hey there! I have, but my fingers are chubby so it didn’t work too well. I will try again, thanks!

2 Likes

As you play the lower notes as chords the frequency of the strings get very close together, hence the muddy sound. (Zero beating to be nerdy about it).

1 Like