Power Conditioners

Anyone here use a power conditioner on their rig? Pedalboard behind the power supply(ies)?

if so, what are you using?
What are the good ones?
What are the benefits - perceived or reality (I understand the theoretical benefits being an EE, but what are the realistic benefits)?

3 Likes

I am using one for my whole music setup. But cannot give much insight on bass only rig application. I experienced some, I would say, positive effects in overall noise levels especially when both my input preamps and the whatever going to these preamps is connected to the conditioner. (I am using Adam Hall PCL 10 Pro Power Conditioner – Thomann UK this one.) I was deciding between obvious Furman choice and something else, and found about this Adam Hall line. It seems to do what it tells on the box. I am using it mainly because I am not exactly sure what is happening in wires here, because it’s kitchen with owen, kettle and so on plugged in. So I have it mainly for the circuit breaker tbh. Don’t know if this was of any use for your application.

2 Likes

What are the big black knobs for?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing, found it on the product page of the manufacturer:

Both aren’t knobs, you can pull them both out and they are LED lights.
(You can also see them in action in the video on Thomanns website at 1:10)

3 Likes

Yep, they are LED lights for a rack usage. Both them and the number displays don’t do much for the “conditioning”, but I wanted something “shiny” to take space in the mount. :smiley:

1 Like

Rule #1 of rack units!

It’s why so many rack mount tuners look like cylons :slight_smile:

makes a nice change from featureless, black rack faces.

So does stuff like this:

crazy.

4 Likes

The whole Roland Aira theme line is really … special. :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s like, they want to be a eurorack modular synth, except they don’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it looks like they want to market it to the market of Alpha Centauri, but forgot that they have no distribution there so it has stuck at the Earth.

3 Likes

The idea of a rack mount TR-808 that you can pull off and use like a tablet is also… unique

I think the TR-8S rack mount was an afterthought though.

2 Likes

You got some pretty cool rack tuners out there. I think the Korg ones are really good.
That TR-808 rack mount is crazy lol. Never seen that before but tbf I’m haven’t really looked into racks before.

1 Like

These black lights are a great percussive instrument, lol. I actually spent a few minutes now playing around with one of the lights and making beat with that. It makes a great sound when pulled and pushed. :smiley:

3 Likes

Just watched the video. Those lights are actually pretty cool.

More lights are more better. +1 to the Korg rack tuner.

2 Likes

How can I tell whether I need a power conditioner or not?

My amp has a bit of background static, and I’m wondering if that’s just the amp itself, or the power outlet. It’s not the end of the world (I didn’t even care about it until I learned about power conditioners), but it gets a lot more noticeable if I add some treble and/or overdrive.

I’ve done some testing by removing all cables from the amp (except the headphone) and plugging it into different power outlets. I’m getting the same amount of static from all of them.

1 Like

Like everything else with bass, if you don’t have one, then you need one. :grin:

I had the same thought and can’t figure out if it’s useful or not.
I was wondering if it would get rid of USB cable interference so I could leave a couple pedals plugged in to the USB all the time.

Power conditioners often don’t seem to add much until there is a spike in your power grid.

1 Like

The Furman power strip I have takes care of that part!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS6BPro--furman-ss-6b-pro-15a-ac-surge-strip-6-outlet-2x3-block

1 Like

I have a Carvin power conditioner in my rack. The power out here can be pretty spotty, and after losing some equipment to power fluctuations, it seemed like a good idea.

2 Likes

If it’s broadband noise like the ocean waves or wind through the trees it’s the noise floor of the amp and nothing will solve that.

Try turning gain, level or master knobs all the way down and see if the noise goes down with it. Any noise that goes away when you turn down a knob is upstream of the knob. This type of noise sometimes gets solved by turning down the noisy thing and turning up something else to make up for it. That opportunity doesn’t always exist.

Noisy things on the same electrical circuit or panel can cause problems. Common noisy things are light dimmers and appliances with electric motors.

Sweetwater has some recordings to help identify what sound you are hearing …
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/solving-guitar-noise-buzz-and-hum/

I’m not sure I agree with them that a power conditioner would solve their recorded example. Color me skeptical. I think that level of power conditioning would be more expensive.

If it’s ground buzz, it’s possible to take a piece of wire connected to ground and hunt around touching things trying to find something to make it quiet.

2 Likes

I’ll try to post some audio, but yeah I think it fits this description. To be honest I’d be happy with this conclusion, because I don’t want to buy more crap that I don’t really need…

2 Likes